Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Airgun.

Resisted this for a while 'cos told our story before. However been itching to share a great coincidence so here goes.
    Still have our Webley Junior rifle from Christmas 1951. Used to ogle it in the bike shop window every time we passed accompanied by "over my dead body" from our Mam without breaking step. They'd already bought it of course. Lovely people.
    As said told the tale a few times but amazingly a few months ago this photo appeared on social media.
    You may have to squint a bit but the guns are there. That's got to be our Webley too.

Daisy model 25 I bought from friend when I was 13, then picked up a Gun Toys RO71, which I still have 45 yrs later!

Mine was A........

Webley Jaguar.
    Given to my dad in 1972 by a workmate in exchange for dad and me helping him on a saturday wheelbarrowing a load of cement and then tamping it into the shutters for a garage base.
    after this it was a tin of pellets every week during the summer holidays and me not wanting to mix with many other kids because I was content shooting wasps off a blob of jam at the length of our garden.
    Funny how many of the enamel badges I got from the webley tokens in the 500 tins but I cannot find one now, its only 48 years I should be able to remember where I put them.
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

My first own purchased air rifle was a Baikal IJ38 bought when I turned 18 for the princely sum of £19.99 from Trago Mills in Falmouth.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Red face

Limit pop out , 10 bob of a friend in 1949. 17/6p new, money from returned jam jars from tip to meadow dairies 1pence each.
    snarepeg.

Anybody else remember this one time source of collectable air guns from the advertisement dating I think from the 1980s.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Does anyone remember the gun shop in Praed Street London. Was also getting the train down from Luton to pick up something interesting.

Baz
    I remember it well, had a massive sign outside that simply said ‘GUNS’.

Like other London gun shops I believe it was closed down when the owners were caught helping people re-bore blank firers to shoot bullets.
    I heard something similar happened to my favourite London airgun shop, Streatham Armouries.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Anybody else remember this one time source of collectable air guns from the advertisement dating I think from the 1980s.

Brian
    I remember VAG Brian - I bought a few old airguns from John Galloway. He was pricey but had almost anything you could possibly want. Just look at that advert - a boxed Airsporter Mark 1. It took me years to find one and I paid a lot more than £250!

John

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I remember it well, had a massive sign outside that simply said ‘GUNS’.

Like other London gun shops I believe it was closed down when the owners were caught helping people re-bore blank firers to shoot bullets.
    I heard something similar happened to my favourite London airgun shop, Streatham Armouries.

Matt
    Is there any evidence of Streatham Armoury converting guns illegally Matt or is it just unsubstantiated hearsay?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Does anyone remember the gun shop in Praed Street London. Was also getting the train down from Luton to pick up something interesting.

Baz
    I remember it well Baz. I used to go from there to the Sussex Armoury showroom round the corner at the west end of the Strand near Trafalgar Square. Very posh it was!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

My Dad's Diana mod 15 which I used to nick from their wardrobe and plink in my bedroom with whatever I could find that would fit.

My first airgun was a Manuarm break barrel pistol in .177 from the fishing tackle shop in Otley. Cost £20.

Wow, it's actually still there, or was whenever google streetview for that area dates to.

I've still got the pistol but it's in bits waiting for me to source a spring.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Is there any evidence of Streatham Armoury converting guns illegally Matt or is it just unsubstantiated hearsay?

John
    As I said John it was something I heard.

Matt

My first airgun was a Daisy targeteer in 1966. It wasn't very powerful, but I had lots of fun with it.

My 1st was a very old looking Diana...don't remember the model, wouldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding, and defo not penetrate a baked beans can, an early measure of power for kids down our way.

My intro to air rifles started on my 10th birthday 1963...we moved house on that day...my mum came home from the pet shop on Ribbleton Lane with a pet poodle that was convinced he was a rottie....and my dad came home from the pub that night (so I saw it the morning after) with what turned out to be a mk 1 Airsporter.

I could have a go with it only when he was around, and under strict supervision. We would go fishing almost every week-end, and the Airsporter was always with him, 'watch the floats'..and I knew he was going after the rabbits, rarely more than a couple or three.
    Anyway, after a few months he got me that old Diana. It was so underpowered that sometimes the pellet would stay in the barrel.
    I discovered a lead pellet that didn't have a waist, quite lightweight, that would exit the barrel ok. Don't remember what they were called.
    Over the next 5 or 6 years I had a few other rifles, meteors, Relum Tornado, but none as good as my dad's.
    When I got to 16 years old my interest waned a little, especially when, after a lot of heated pleas to use his gun without him being around, he told me he'd sold it.
    Fast forward 50 years, my dad long passed, my mum died, no cure for old age I hear her now, me and my sister are clearing the house, and there it is...my dad's mk1 Airsporter.
    It's in excellent nick, but no foresight (I don't remember that)...but it's safe with me...going nowhere.

Allen