Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
That article is spot on, including on the 80s fad/con about “wide angle” “TV” scopes that had no wider FOV than ordinary ones.

Which is good, as Rod L and the truth had a rather interesting relationship sometimes.

You are basically right. A small number of factories, making for a large number of brands.

Same later occurred when S Korea, then the Philippines, succeeded Japan from the late 80s as the capitals of medium-quality low-price optics. Same thing in China today.

Hakko made the better Japanese airgun scopes, including for Optima and Beeman.

Tasco hit it big in the 50s during the space age selling good value telescopes to the rapidly growing amateur astronomer market. As said above, Tasco is a brand, and has never actually made a single optical device.

I have a bunch of 70s/80s Japanese scopes of a number of brands (N-S, ASI, Tasco, Original, Hunter, Bushmaster, Optima, Beeman, Bushnell, Hubertus, Vistascope, probably others). Although they have different mags, lens sizes, styling and finishes, I can’t see huge differences in lens quality or build standards.
Hello Geezer,

Thank you for your very interesting comments. Your collection of 70s/80s Japanese scopes sounds great.
I wonder whether Nikko was the predecessor of Nikko Stirling. I guess it was. Strangely enough, I am only finding Nikko scopes in Germany (via Egun and Fleabay).
Nikko probably did some marketing for German hunters, as these scopes were in fact used on firearms.

Hakko is a name that keeps coming back. They seem to have been a big player.

You also mention Rod Lynton and the truth. I would have liked to see more of John Darling in those AGW's but I guess he was more of an Airgunner writer? And of course more about hunting than reviewing/testing. But Mr Darling was a very good writer with tons of humour.

"TV" scopes - I am using one on an Innova and it's ok. But it would be better if they had left the black away on the top and bottom of the image!

Cheers, Louis