Thread: What would you expect to pay for a LAC 577"?

What would you expect to pay for a LAC 577"?

I have been offered a .577" made by the London Arms Company. A bit of research has revealed that they are well made. (Parts made to a .003" tolerance). I see they were only in business from 1855 to 1866 so any gun made by them is a rarity.

The prices seem to vary between £800 and £2,000 and from the description there appears to be little between them regarding condition.
    Obviously it would be prudent to give any prospective purchase a good inspection before parting with ones money.

The one I have been offered is priced at £1,000, and belongs to someone I am acquainted with. It is allegedly in good condition. It is too far away to go and have a look (approx 130 miles). and the lockdown would prevent it at the present time.

Any comments would be of interest.

ps. It has not been converted to a Snider.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I have been offered a .577" made by the London Arms Company. A bit of research has revealed that they are well made. (Parts made to a .003" tolerance). I see they were only in business from 1855 to 1866 so any gun made by them is a rarity.

The prices seem to vary between £800 and £2,000 and from the description there appears to be little between them regarding condition.
    Obviously it would be prudent to give any prospective purchase a good inspection before parting with ones money.

The one I have been offered is priced at £1,000, and belongs to someone I am acquainted with. It is allegedly in good condition. It is too far away to go and have a look (approx 130 miles). and the lockdown would prevent it at the present time.

Any comments would be of interest.

ps. It has not been converted to a Snider.
    You say you know of it? Have you seen any recent pictures of it? Is it a two or three-band version? Chequered or not? Lots to ask if I was buying it....If it is in what you would call good condition then I would say to buy it - but nobody can advise you without seeing the present condition.

ask if smooth bored or rifled ?
    quite a few are smooth bored but with rifle type rear ladder sights

A picture of the rifling would help give you an indication of how much use it's had. Without overall pictures though, it's very hard to give a proper answer as to value.