Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original 45/Diana 45

Original 45/Diana 45

Hi all,
    Looking at these two rifles which are both identical except for the front sight, and both in .177, alot is heard of about the original 45, but very little is heard of the diana 45, is there much difference pricewise out there, or interest to the collectors market?

Cheers

It is the same rifle as is the RWS 45 though the U.K. version had a different stock like that of the 35S .

There are 2 foresight fittings , one normal dovetail & the other a wrap around with hood.

They are the same rifle with different stampings. The Original brand was the British Market version and there were variations on front sights fitted even in the same year. Most had a tunnel fitted on a mount which wrapped around the barrel. Others had a tunnel front sight mounted on dovetails.
    There is also the RWS Diana 45 which was the same action in a different stock. As far as Inam aware, all were fitted with tunnel front site on dovetails. These are rarer but not worth very much more if anything.
    There is a later Diana 45 which is based on the Diana 34 but with the a stock modelled on the previous model 45. Much rarer in the UK than the older 45 and the 34 but unlikely to fetch a higher price then either.

The Original 45's big competitor in the late '70s/early '80s was the FWB Sport. The 45 was a little heavier but it had a better lock-up mechanism, which was tighter. It was also a little cheaper to buy and had a more bulky stock than the FWB. However, it is a first class air rifle, robust and very accurate with the right pellet.

I bought one in 1980 and still have it. It is not one I would seek to part with.

The above does not answer your questions and is somewhat supplementary, therefore, to your enquiry. I think the experts above have probably provided what you are seeking.

Rgds
    A

The first ones had a stock like 35 super
    Then the more well known angular stock
    45s were stamped Original, Diana, RWS at various times
    The replacement was the 38 firebird, same ‘thing’ new stock and trigger (T01) but synthetic piston seal

It’s never an improvement to change the old leather seals on 45s - you don’t clean any extra efficiency (well it’s not at all worthwhile) and they don’t shoot as nice

They are a bit of a shot yo work on

Faults are soft barrels, spares often NA now, Sears that missed hardening, pistons can be a bit soft too (rarer)

I like em, wish I’d kept one now ...
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    The first ones had a stock like 35 super
    Those were the 1984/85 RWS45s. The classic Original/Diana 45 came earlier, in 1978.

Did they do a 45 possibly branded RWS with a parkerised or phosphate type finish in the mid to late 80’s ?
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Original 45/Diana 45

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Did they do a 45 possibly branded RWS with a parkerised or phosphate type finish in the mid to late 80’s ?
    I don't remember a mod 45 with a parkerised or phosphate type finish,but they did do a mod 50 in that finish,basic stock with no butt pad,and military style fore sight.

They did a 34 carbine black in about 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    They did a 34 carbine black in about 2012.
    And “Black Pro” 48s around the same timing.

There was a 1990s 34 Black with matte phosphated metal and a black-painted beech stock. Mine is dated 1995.

Never heard of an equivalent 45.

I recall the Model 50 with phosphate finished metalwork but not a 45. It wouldn't at all surprise me if there was one, though. I recall the Crosman Challenger 6100 variant having differences to the RWS45 but can't recall what they were.

There were two black synthetic stocked 31 Pro Compact/ 31Professional in more recent years, both with the matt finish to metalwork. Bead blasted, I think. The later one had unusual finned mouldings on the stock. It looked quite good to my eyes.
    Last edited by Drew451; 15-03-2021 at 06:27 PM.

Anyone recall the multi coloured Original 34s? Can't recall the designation of them. Maybe Sport or something?
    Seeing the adverts for them back in the day reminded me of the type of adverts that BL would have done for a fleet of multi coloured mini Metros
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Anyone recall the multi coloured Original 34s? Can't recall the designation of them. Maybe Sport or something?
    Seeing the adverts for them back in the day reminded me of the type of adverts that BL would have done for a fleet of multi coloured mini Metros
    Dave
    Yes. Sport 1000. You even got a 75 dressed up like that. I know you had a white MG Metro and searched in vain for a 34 to match.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Dave
    I vaguely do. Early 90s? IIRC red or blue stocks across the 24 through 34 models. No real idea what they were supposed to be for. Presumably an attempt to make airguns seem less “weapon-like”.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I vaguely do. Early 90s? IIRC red or blue stocks across the 24 through 34 models. No real idea what they were supposed to be for. Presumably an attempt to make airguns seem less “weapon-like”.
    I think they came out a bit earlier, 86/87, maybe. They also came in white, black and possibly yellow. I used to think a black one would be the least offensive.