Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Airgun magazines

Sticky time?

We seem to do this thread about once a month.

Could we just have a sticky?

I suggest:

“Depending on who you are, the airgun mags are either worthless rags featuring poor reviews written by people in hock or in thrall to advertisers and mates in the trade; or they include great articles by people like Tyler, Atkins, Miliewski etc, and serve a valuable purpose, especially for teenagers and newbies - including good advice for them on things like safe gun handling, the law and basic technical issues like how to mount a scope the right way up.

“Terry Doe is either one of the most experienced, successful, and influential airgun shooters and writers of the last thirty years, and a good bloke, or he isn’t, and you and your mate Kev down the pub have forgotten more about airguns than Tel ever knew.

“Many think you will get better info on the BBS. You might. Of course, some of it will be from people who write for the mags. Go figure that one out.

“SAR was definitely the best airgun mag. But it’s been out of print for decades, so that’s not a very useful point for someone trying to decide whether to buy an airgun mag in 2021.”

Does that do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Has he got a long one I mean was it a 35E?
    Lovely, heartwarming story of you becoming reunited with your Prosport, Pete.

In fact, I finished reading the current AGW earlier. As ever, some superb content. Far too many good ones to highlight. But that article by Phil Siddell on the mentality of shooting is an absolute classic and, surely, a must read for anyone?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Strict target disciplines will, patently, allow and encourage the use of such aids. Although I have seen images of them, it's not something I have knowledge or experience of. But, honestly, lots of shooters of outdoors disciplines, like FT and HFT, shoot with both eyes open and encourage others to do so.
    Like this, Tone ? :-

image.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Like this, Tone ? :-

image.jpeg

Yep.

I've heard that he only has a short one though, Mick.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Strict target disciplines will, patently, allow and encourage the use of such aids. Although I have seen images of them, it's not something I have knowledge or experience of. But, honestly, lots of shooters of outdoors disciplines, like FT and HFT, shoot with both eyes open and encourage others to do so.
    I was always trained to shoot with both eyes open, whether with pistol, shotgun, rifle. And I have. In all circumstances.

Even the match shooters with the gimp suit jackets (must see where mine is and if it still fits) and the blinker blocking the weak eye still keep the weak eye open, even though it can’t see anything.

This is especially important with magnifying optics outside a formal organised range, because you need your peripheral vision to see whether someone or something that you really do not want to shoot is about to intrude into your potential cone of fire.

Absolutely Mr Geez.

I do try and shoot with both eyes open all the time. Occasionally I find myself falling into bad habits and close my non-aiming eye and scuttle off to give myself a good talking to. For some reason I tend to go naughty when pellet testing/ trying to shoot tight groups, especially indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I was always trained to shoot with both eyes open, whether with pistol, shotgun, rifle. And I have. In all circumstances.

Even the match shooters with the gimp suit jackets (must see where mine is and if it still fits) and the blinker blocking the weak eye still keep the weak eye open, even though it can’t see anything.

This is especially important with magnifying optics outside a formal organised range, because you need your peripheral vision to see whether someone or something that you really do not want to shoot is about to intrude into your potential cone of fire.
    Perfectly put, young Geezer.

Those shooters who appear in AGW and AG and shoot with both eyes open are simply doing what works best for them, and it doesn't require much thought to see why. Shutting out 50% of your field of view in any shooting situation beyond the strictly controlled environment of an indoor target range make no sense at all.

Plinking in your garden demands maximum possible attention regarding safety, and seeing as much as possible of what's going on around you is extremely important.

In a hunting situation, the same safety awareness applies, and in addition that non-sighting eye could also spot a better target.

In FT and HFT competitions, you can discount the 'better target' deal, but add the possibility of spotting a previously unseen downrange breeze moving a target reset string, leaves or foliage. That really could be the difference between a hit or a miss on a long range shot. An eyeball is also one of the most sensitive wind-detection units available to us, and it works way better when the eye is open.

All in all, keeping both eyes open when shooting our air rifles outdoors really is the way forward, and I'd urge those who have yet to adopt this technique to devote plenty of their lockdown time to developing it.

Stay safe, everyone, and try not to shoot like this --->
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

************ They are useful to keep up with prices, new products & so on - but take them with a large dose of salt *****************.

My 2p worth

Bruce[/QUOTE]

never so true
    As a teen me and my brother used to get Guns and Ammo(US publication) Smith and Wesson and Colt could never put a foot wrong
    When years on we got FACs- we found out otherwise-rapid. Changed to CZ and SIG
    I only ever came across a mag that said exactly what was what..about makers and the police/politicians.. Handgunner.. it was the equivalent of Private Eye mag.It had ltd advertising and suffered from intermitent issues finally going bump after 15 years

Got to say, I have no idea how any of you can hit a thing with both eyes open using a scope

I get something that looks like a multiple exposure photo with the reticle, the outside of the scope & the open view, all overlaying each other vying for prominence so none are clear or steady

I'll stick with gently closing my left, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Got to say, I have no idea how any of you can hit a thing with both eyes open using a scope

I get something that looks like a multiple exposure photo with the reticle, the outside of the scope & the open view, all overlaying each other vying for prominence so none are clear or steady

I'll stick with gently closing my left, thank you.

Ah, you could be like me, AB, I'm right handed but left eye dominant, so when shooting right handed I have to close my left eye.
    If I don't close my left eye I don't see a usable image through the scope.

All the best Mick

I have 2 completely different editions of Air Gunner both clearly January 2021 does this mean one is possibly a valuable collectors item or a ploy to enable a boast about reader circulation in January.

Just noticed one is priced £4.99 and the other £4.25 didn't see that coming

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Ah, you could be like me, AB, I'm right handed but left eye dominant, so when shooting right handed I have to close my left eye.
    If I don't close my left eye I don't see a usable image through the scope.

All the best Mick
    Have exactly the same problem, hence why I can't shoot both eyes open.
    All my photos for the mag show me with both eyes open, that's because my wife is telling me to pull my gut in, and I can't shut one eye, and hold my gut at the same time

Strange this, When I shoot rifle (scoped or open) I shut one eye. When out with a shotgun, both eyes open? This is instinctive.

One further advantage of shooting with both eyes open is it takes more muscular effort to keep the non shooting eye closed than to keep it open. Why waste energy? This particularly applies to match shooting, as I well recall when competing in 60 shot 10 Meter competitions. One of the advantages of match shooting glasses is they blank off the non shooting eye to reduce peripheral vision and aid concentration - they also enable both eyes to be kept open throughout.

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.