Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Airgun magazines

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I find it strange that some people complain about the adverts. You do not have to read the ads and without the advertisers paying to advertise their goods I doubt if there would be a magazine at all, digital or hard copy. or if there was, the price would be much higher. And without the ads it might be far more difficult to become aware of what is available. So accept them for what they are.. a window on the product world and if you don't like them, pass them by.
    Cheers, Phil

It’s not the adds that people moan about it’s the positive spin that is put when gun reviews are done in all my years of reading the shooting magazines I have never read a negative one. It’s annoying some one could and I am sure has bought a rifle or pistol of the back of one of these reviews that’s what annoys me. I laugh when is see reviewers shouldering rifles that have no magazines on them and immaculate clothing and foot ware after all how many shooters go home in rag order ergo have the pictures been taken out side the office?.

Just small things like the above annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    ........I laugh when is see reviewers shouldering rifles that have no magazines on them and immaculate clothing and foot ware after all how many shooters go home in rag order ergo have the pictures been taken out side the office?..

Lol and they all seem to have BOTH eyes open when posing with a scoped rifle on aim . Why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Lol and they all seem to have BOTH eyes open when posing with a scoped rifle on aim . Why ?
    And most from memory, look so bloody miserable/serious.

Smile chaps
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Er, sorry, but many experienced shots actually recommend that you shoot with both eyes open. More relaxed and your peripheral view is far better. I shoot both ways and often have to tell myself to open my non-sighting eye. Give it a try, you may find it helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    AGW and Airgun Shooter or something like that
    Everyone on another forum I believe airgunforum, was bragging bout that last one being so much better than AGW and Airgunner...well havent noticed yet
    Airgun Shooter certainly used to be the best, imho
    Then they changed Editor & lost whatever it was that had hooked me.

I thought it was at its best at the outset when Steve Pope wrote the technical articles and shared his wisdom. Not knocking the mag', but at the time I was taking all three of the magazines and one had to go.

Now, historically, I think Jim's Sporting Air Rifle and the later Real Airgun Sport were the bestest.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Airgun Shooter certainly used to be the best, imho
    Then they changed Editor & lost whatever it was that had hooked me.
    AGS was good when it first came out but has developed into a predominantly hunting mag ... but I still read it. Of the 3 mags I rate them in order of merit as AGW, AG, AGS. But that is only my opinion and largely influenced by the fact I do not hunt so, although I read the hunting articles, they are of no particular interest to me. But a while ago, and being lockdown bored, I did a quick survey of the 3 mags to see how much 'useful script', useful pages etc that each magazine offered for the price. I ignored adverts as they are not relevant to my simple 'value for money' survey. As you might expect AGW came out as best value, beating AG by a whisker with AGS a sad third. AGS also had the largest proportion of page space occupied by pictures rather than by text, when the page space occupied by pictures was considered, many of the pictures being not particularly relevant, again in my opinion.
    I still look forward to all 3 mags though ...
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Er, sorry, but many experienced shots actually recommend that you shoot with both eyes open. More relaxed and your peripheral view is far better. I shoot both ways and often have to tell myself to open my non-sighting eye. Give it a try, you may find it helps.
    Erm , sorry mate never in all me years shooting incl .22lr rimfire target - shooting glasses with side and front blinds , looking like Quasimodo
    If it works for you mate but here its more a case that these magazine people are posing in front of their cameras trying to compose the shot without help on a screen .

Smiles all round

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    And most from memory, look so bloody miserable/serious.

Smile chaps
    And all wear mandatory camo as if to lend extra credence to the overly serious looks

I got given a few copies of this magazine "Real Airgun Sport" along with nearly 200 others, AG, AGW and AGS. I will have to have a look at those copies, never looked through RAS before.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    never looked through RAS before.
    Check out the hunk with the HW35 in the October issue, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I certainly will mate

Has he got a long one I mean was it a 35E?

Erm , sorry mate never in all me years shooting incl .22lr rimfire target - shooting glasses with side and front blinds , looking like Quasimodo
    If it works for you mate but here its more a case that these magazine people are posing in front of their cameras trying to compose the shot without help on a screen .
    Strict target disciplines will, patently, allow and encourage the use of such aids. Although I have seen images of them, it's not something I have knowledge or experience of. But, honestly, lots of shooters of outdoors disciplines, like FT and HFT, shoot with both eyes open and encourage others to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I wonder who that may be?