Thread: Strange thing

Strange thing

I’m getting more power with lighter pellets than heavier ones ?

I’m guessing there would be a few reasons for this?

Anyone care to explain? I’m baffled

Cal 177

Springers some times give more power with lighter but PCP give more power with heavier but not always true with all pellets.

Sorry should have said it’s a pcp

As bighit says. What rifle? Which pellets have you been trying? And never forget, the pellet to choose is the one that gives the best accuracy in your gun.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Smile

@rativity,

no you're not. I am!
    If everything seems to be under control.........you are not going fast enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Rativity View Post
    I’m getting more power with lighter pellets than heavier ones ?

I’m guessing there would be a few reasons for this?

Anyone care to explain? I’m baffled

Cal 177
    Physics

It's a simple concept that the pellet forms a plug which holds the air back enough to build pressure, it then fails & the pellet is pushed down the barrel by the pressure accelerating as it goes.

If the pellet is too light &/or too loose it moves before the pressure can fully build, so cannot convert all the energy in the air blast to acceleration.

If the pellet is too heavy &/or too tight the limited amount of energy in the air blast struggles to accelerate it, so it doesn't reach max velocity before it leaves the muzzle.

When the fit & the weight are just right the pellet can convert the maximum amount of energy so it accelerates to the max possible velocity, making it the most efficient in that barrel.

Note that it is both the weight and the fit that matter.

This is why as well as testing a selection of pellets for accuracy you also need to test them all for muzzle energy, shoot with the most accurate, set the power with the most efficient.

If your airgun doesn't have a lot of resistance to air flow in the valve then more air will go into the barrel with a lighter pellet. The lighter pellet moves more initially so there is more space behind it, which the air fills up until the valve closes. The heavier pellet moves less so there is is less space to fill. Once the valve has closed then the power you get out is determined by the amount of air released, the friction in the barrel and the the weight of the pellet.

Or it could be that the heavier pellet is expanding into the bore and increasing the friction, which reduces power.

BB