Thread: UK Webley Patriot different finish?

UK Webley Patriot different finish?

I have 3 Patriots, all UK, 2x 5.5, one 6.35
    SN are 'close'in 8 or 9xxxxx.
    I noticed however a different finish. Or so it seems.
    One of the 5.5s looks much more grey while the other 5.5 and the 6.35 look blacked instead of blued.
    The 2 that look blacked have seen little use and are as new so shouldnt be refinished. The grey one does appear more used but I doubt thats the cause.
    Did Webley at one time change their finish or process??
    Its difficult to get it visible on a pic but the difference is obvious when you see them live.

ATB,
    yana

My guess is the one that dosen't look as black didn't receive as good of a polishing job before going in the tank, the Webley xocet has a dull cylinder in comparison to the barrel due to not been highly polished to save on production costs.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I once had a Stingray that had a grey finish to the cylinder but the barrel was a deep black, I think it was an early model as it was a SFS custom T model and I remember reading in one of the mags that SFS put the newly released Stingray action into a Vulcan CS600 stock they had laying about to create that custom model.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I know the Stingray and Exocet didnt have the finish the topend rifles did, but the Patriot belonged to the topend of the line.
    Ill see if I can make some pics and compare it to the Tomahawk and Stingrays finish.
    For me, it feels like the black one's are the ones that are off, not the grey one. They look blacked not blued.
    Last edited by hwtyger; 29-06-2021 at 05:29 AM.
    ATB,
    yana

The 70's-90's Webleys in my collection vary somewhat in finish. One of my Vulcans and the Xocet has particularly nice finish on the barrels. Another Vulcan of similar vintage does not have the same deep glossy black finish on the barrel. The Deluxe Trackers are ok, but not spectacular.

As mentioned above, its probably a matter of how well the individual part was polished.
    Too many airguns!

Compared the Patriots to my Tomahawks and Stingray.
    Compared to my Tommy, color of the black Patriots is still 'off':

Black vs deep blue.

Compared my grey Patriot to the Stingray. Its more alike but darker than Stingray.

Thought the blacks may be intermediate model (uk parts, made in turkey) but the grey Patriot has higher (later) sn. So guess thats not it.
    All 3 are just 'off'but in a different way.
    Wish I couldve asked Steve Pope. No doubt he had known..
    ATB,
    yana