Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airgun magazines

Re gun reviews; I think Terry's reviews are excellent. Informative and written in a very entertaining style.

But it isn't just about reviews. We benefit from Jim Tyler's expertise and technical knowhow. And some most excellent and informative articles and tutorials from some excellent and knowledgeable writers. Far too many names to start listing them individually and these fine people are valuable assets to our sport / hobby, assisting people at various stages of their shooting lives, from newcomer to diehard. So, most certainly NOT just about the reviews.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Can't say I have bought airgun world since they started wrapping them in plastic with another mag..
    I mean generally I used to thumb through the mag in Smith's and then just buy it, but since the plastic wrapping it really goes against me wanting to buy it..

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yep, I received the January 2021 issue of AGW on Saturday the 12th.
    Thanks don't know how I got so distracted not to notice, magazine mountain is now so large I was wondering if they were just mislaid a la needle in a haystack

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by mule77 View Post
    I've not bought a air gun mag in about 5yr so was just wondering what is happening in the world of airguns, looking to buy another someday soon,
    You can buy recent back issues of airgun mags on the bay of evil

As I've already said, Readly. No storage problem and back issues available to late 2017. At roughly twice the price of one magazine a month but access to hundreds of all sorts of various subjects. Try it.

AGW and Airgun Shooter or something like that
    Everyone on another forum I believe airgunforum, was bragging bout that last one being so much better than AGW and Airgunner...well havent noticed yet
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I have no problem with advertising in the mags. But the issue of reviews being 'sponsored' or being worded so as not to give offence to the product manufacturer is often mooted. But what evidence is there for such a claim? Or is it just supposition?
    Yes, a product is sometimes classed as being the best since the proverbial sliced bread but so what ... go beyond that and you can get some entertaining reading. What do you want? Do you want someone to say 'As soon as I took it out of the box it fell apart'? I tend to think that potential improvements in design are highlighted when appropriate and please remember that such opinions will not be relevant to some people as they only reflect the opinion of the reviewer. I must admit though that when it comes to boots/clothing I do wonder why a comparison with other products could not be made. I would love to see comments like 'This is an excellent product but no better than XYZ at keeping you warm/dry. And it is cheaper/more expensive'. But maybe it is only right that the review concentrates on the product being reviewed rather than comparisons with other products.
    So overall I think reviewers do a fair job in a task where they cannot please everyone.
    And I read all the airgun magazines.
    Cheers, Phil
    So I'm a maker/seller of a product that's sponsorship is the life blood of your publication - you keep pointing out all the negatives regarding my product - will I be spending thousands with you advertising next month? No - what I want is what I'm paying for, a mouthpiece for my product.
    Do I want to read "As soon as I took it out of the box it fell apart"? YES 100% if that is what happened - it's called the truth. Where's the point in studying all the reviews if you cannot rely on a word written.
    Why do reviewers not compare a product to other, available, items? Simple - because the magazine is not being paid to sell other peoples products.

I rarely buy mags nowadays, unless they have an article - usually about classic airguns or technical/servicing - that is of direct interest to me.
    They have to tread a fine line between telling us the truth & keeping their advertisers happy. Unfortunately they can stray over the line. One article in particular mentioned his clothing manufacturer more often than the rifle he was using. It was along the lines of
    'Before my hunting trip I pulled on my xxxx boots blah blah out in the field I was warm & snug in my xxxx made jacket blah the new shooting gloves from xxxx were excellent & so on. 'Think the maker got 5 mentions, the gun maker 2 or 3

Sometimes articles can be factually incorrect. A few years back I wrote to a mag in response to an erroneous piece on a well known 'classic'. Much to my surprise I received an email back from the editor acknowledging the mistakes. Even better, it was made 'Letter of the Month'. For some reason, I never got the freebie scope that was normally awarded, despite reminding the magazine months later.

They are useful to keep up with prices, new products & so on - but take them with a large dose of salt.

My 2p worth

Bruce
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I cancelled all my magazine subscriptions a couple of years back when I worked out that reviews were being recycled in magazines owned by the same company. Most mags are mainly catalogs these days and what reviews that are done never point out faults. I understand that the life blood of magazines is the advertising and reviews of rifles but alas there is no honesty. I used to laugh when I looked at pictures of reviews posing with rifles in in immaculate kit no mud on the boots etc. It’s sad really but that life bills have to be paid.

Will make sure I get a bit more mud on next time, shouldn’t be a problem plenty around at the moment 😁

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Re gun reviews; I think Terry's reviews are excellent. Informative and written in a very entertaining style.

But it isn't just about reviews. We benefit from Jim Tyler's expertise and technical knowhow. And some most excellent and informative articles and tutorials from some excellent and knowledgeable writers. Far too many names to start listing them individually and these fine people are valuable assets to our sport / hobby, assisting people at various stages of their shooting lives, from newcomer to diehard. So, most certainly NOT just about the reviews.
    Couldn't have put it better. Last two guns purchased after Terry's reviews and one from Nigel. I do think that over the years the 95 must be the most reviewed gun in history yet I don't own one.

Airgunner for me. Really well written reviews. The other half got my a renewal for Christmas too.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Where as I think the AA safety button is probably the best out there

I don't buy airgun magazines either, I was buying Shooting Sports because it had a good mix of all shooting, sadly they stopped printing it in April so now I buy nothing.

As above youtube is probably more honest, but you need to note if the reviewer is sponsored & if so who by.
    Do you think putting your cars brakes on the accelerator pedal a good idea too.

Why you think it is a good idea to put a trigger lock on the very device that will make it go off leaves me a little stumped.

Normally I find your observations succinct and reflect my own opinions but truly, it is the WORST idea ever and its a cheap nasty and stupid solution.

I knock the buggas out. No safety on an air arms S4 series is safer than that peice of sh*te.

The best of the lot...... you did make me larfff. What you like you cheeky boy 🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Do you think putting your cars brakes on the accelerator pedal a good idea too.

No, but I like that it's next to it, not up on the dashboard, or back under the seat

Why you think it is a good idea to put a trigger lock on the very device that will make it go off leaves me a little stumped.

Normally I find your observations succinct and reflect my own opinions but truly, it is the WORST idea ever and its a cheap nasty and stupid solution.

I knock the buggas out. No safety on an air arms S4 series is safer than that peice of sh*te.

The best of the lot...... you did make me larfff. What you like you cheeky boy ������
    OK then, well the first thing I want in a safety is the ability to flick it off at the last second before I shoot, and also the ability to flick back on if for some reason I don't take the shot,
    I don't like rifles where the catch is up beside the breech, and as I don't shoot thumb up the 'shotgun' type are also out.
    The Rapid range have a safety in front of the trigger which is usually ok but I have had the seam at the tip of my glove cause my finger to slip back off the safety on to the trigger,
    It didn't cause an ND, but could have.

The AA safety requires lateral pressure, where the trigger operates on longitudinal pressure, & I fail to see how it's possible to accidentally apply pressure at a right angle to that intended
    so there should be zero risk of ND, also it provides a simple physical bar to prevent pulling the trigger, hence it's the best imo

Phil,
    I was referring to many of the youtube reviews being sponsored, not the magazines .

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Phil,
    I was referring to many of the youtube reviews being sponsored, not the magazines .
    OK ... thanks for clarification but I should add that I do not watch youtube reviews so the thought never occurred to me. In addition to TonyL's comments, I too really enjoy Jim's contributions plus all matters technical / strip information. I am not a hunter but do read the hunting articles. However they do not generate the desire to save them for later reference while I do keep some articles. Somebody commented on the same gun being reviewed in more than one magazine at the same time ... I assume reference to AGW and AG. So what? I assume that happens because the gun is at the common office and there might well be a deadline to get the information before the gun has to go back to the manufacturer/distributor or to another publishing house for review. Also, don't forget that not everyone will be buying both magazines. Overall, I think the editors do a great job and really look forward to the next edition coming along.
    Cheers, Phil