Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Airgun magazines

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Strange this, When I shoot rifle (scoped or open) I shut one eye. When out with a shotgun, both eyes open? This is instinctive.
    If I shoot a shotgun with both eyes open I shoot way to the left, Pete.

With my left eye being dominant then that eye puts the sight bead on the target which means I'm shooting way off to the left.
    You can get a special bead that you glue on to correct this which is basically a fibre optic bead inside a tube, with the bead being in a tube the left eye can't see it so you have to aim with your right.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Perfectly put, young Geezer.

Those shooters who appear in AGW and AG and shoot with both eyes open are simply doing what works best for them, and it doesn't require much thought to see why. Shutting out 50% of your field of view in any shooting situation beyond the strictly controlled environment of an indoor target range make no sense at all.

Plinking in your garden demands maximum possible attention regarding safety, and seeing as much as possible of what's going on around you is extremely important.

In a hunting situation, the same safety awareness applies, and in addition that non-sighting eye could also spot a better target.

In FT and HFT competitions, you can discount the 'better target' deal, but add the possibility of spotting a previously unseen downrange breeze moving a target reset string, leaves or foliage. That really could be the difference between a hit or a miss on a long range shot. An eyeball is also one of the most sensitive wind-detection units available to us, and it works way better when the eye is open.

All in all, keeping both eyes open when shooting our air rifles outdoors really is the way forward, and I'd urge those who have yet to adopt this technique to devote plenty of their lockdown time to developing it.

Stay safe, everyone, and try not to shoot like this --->

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    One further advantage of shooting with both eyes open is it takes more muscular effort to keep the non shooting eye closed than to keep it open. Why waste energy? This particularly applies to match shooting, as I well recall when competing in 60 shot 10 Meter competitions. One of the advantages of match shooting glasses is they blank off the non shooting eye to reduce peripheral vision and aid concentration - they also enable both eyes to be kept open throughout.

John M
    Yep.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Got to say, I have no idea how any of you can hit a thing with both eyes open using a scope

I get something that looks like a multiple exposure photo with the reticle, the outside of the scope & the open view, all overlaying each other vying for prominence so none are clear or steady

I'll stick with gently closing my left, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Ah, you could be like me, AB, I'm right handed but left eye dominant, so when shooting right handed I have to close my left eye.
    If I don't close my left eye I don't see a usable image through the scope.

All the best Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Have exactly the same problem, hence why I can't shoot both eyes open.
    All my photos for the mag show me with both eyes open, that's because my wife is telling me to pull my gut in, and I can't shut one eye, and hold my gut at the same time
    Feel for you chaps.

Having said that although I'm (relatively) fortunate in this department, being right handed and right eye dominant, I'm terribly short sighted, hence the thick jam jars which are a right pita and also suffer from glaucoma. Anyways, as long as I can have a boinger in me hands for a good few years to come I'm happy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

I suppose the upside of only having one eye is that I don't need to worry about wether or not I should be keeping both eyes open
    very strange thing is that despite the left eye being a prosthetic, I still close the eye.... like its going make any difference

re. magazines

I recently resubscribed to them after I was stranded in my tent during Storm Francis. I've noticed that during the pandemic some TV shows and magazines have pulled their fingers out and got a little bit more creative with their output and I thought the 2 issues I had with me of AGW and AG were exceptional. I always take a couple of mags with me on my one man expeditions and I felt this time the articles were far beyond the usual. Possibly due to the restrictions. They also took my mind off the worry of getting blown off the hill I was camping on. As a reward I subscribed as soon as I came home.

Since then I've had two letters published and am enjoying the articles far more than I used too. As for reviews, Gerald Cardew used to dismantle all the review rifles and give them a thorough going over. Can you imagine that happening now?!!

There seems to be more willingness to allow "the public" to show what they have and do. Take Gardeners World. I never really used to watch it. I'll do the labour in the garden but not the creativity. However the pandemic allowed viewers to send in their own mini-vids of what they do in their back gardens. I found this far more interesting than Carol whatsherface wandering around 100 acres of amazing topiary.

I also don't have access to my own rifles at the moment so the magazines are helping me out there too. I do have a Remington Express which is more of a "get me through this tough period" gun than a serious one. As soon as I can collect my guns I'll be happier.

AND I DO MISS THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott. View Post
    I suppose the upside of only having one eye is that I don't need to worry about wether or not I should be keeping both eyes open
    very strange thing is that despite the left eye being a prosthetic, I still close the eye.... like its going make any difference
    And then there's us lot thinking we've got it bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    re. magazines

I recently resubscribed to them after I was stranded in my tent during Storm Francis. I've noticed that during the pandemic some TV shows and magazines have pulled their fingers out and got a little bit more creative with their output and I thought the 2 issues I had with me of AGW and AG were exceptional. I always take a couple of mags with me on my one man expeditions and I felt this time the articles were far beyond the usual. Possibly due to the restrictions. They also took my mind off the worry of getting blown off the hill I was camping on. As a reward I subscribed as soon as I came home.

Since then I've had two letters published and am enjoying the articles far more than I used too. As for reviews, Gerald Cardew used to dismantle all the review rifles and give them a thorough going over. Can you imagine that happening now?!!

There seems to be more willingness to allow "the public" to show what they have and do. Take Gardeners World. I never really used to watch it. I'll do the labour in the garden but not the creativity. However the pandemic allowed viewers to send in their own mini-vids of what they do in their back gardens. I found this far more interesting than Carol whatsherface wandering around 100 acres of amazing topiary.

I also don't have access to my own rifles at the moment so the magazines are helping me out there too. I do have a Remington Express which is more of a "get me through this tough period" gun than a serious one. As soon as I can collect my guns I'll be happier.

AND I DO MISS THEM.
    I'm glad to hear you're enjoying AGW and AG. In my opinion, AGW has been excellent for years and was the original one which very possibly changed the world of airguns forever. In my opinion, Airgunner got a whole lot better a few years ago when Phill Price took over as the editor, leaving Dave Barham a very accomplished magazine to carry on working with. Both magazines have some excellent, knowledgeable writers on board. I do miss Phil Newton and Charlie Portlock. And where's Phil Hardman got to?

Its called desperation

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    re. magazines

......There seems to be more willingness to allow "the public" to show what they have and do. Take Gardeners World. I never really used to watch it. I'll do the labour in the garden but not the creativity. However the pandemic allowed viewers to send in their own mini-vids of what they do in their back gardens. I found this far more interesting than Carol whatsherface wandering around 100 acres of amazing topiary...
    Think that its due to modern society where everybody has an opinion and wants to share it in order to 'start a discussion ' .
    Thats not professional broadcasting nor indeed magazine publishing .
    Some these Airgun magazines that are clearly floundering seem to think out of sheer desperation its best to have as many Vox Pops involved as possible , each having a say rather than people who really know what they are writing about .
    More readers means more opinions but thats like coming on here ! You can get opinions aplenty here for free .
    Not what any magazine subscription fee is for thanks .
    To underline this , surely I'm not the only person on this forum to be PM 'd by a Moderator no less , to see if I would write something about myself for that s*** awful Look At Me Posing With Me Bling Guns page in AIRGUN SHOOTER ? For one thing I'm not that interesting , and my guns even less so which underlines the above reference to desperation. I want to read about airguns not people !

And anyway whats so wrong with lovely Carol ?
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 14-06-2021 at 11:25 AM.

I presently have a subscription to Airgun Shooter which is the nearest thing to the old, classic Sporting Air Rifle. One of our club members is a contributor and I like trying to recognize fellow members from photos of the backs of their ears!
    I do read Airgun World and Airgunner, copies of which are brought up to the club.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I presently have a subscription to Airgun Shooter which is the nearest thing to the old, classic Sporting Air Rifle. One of our club members is a contributor and I like trying to recognize fellow members from photos of the backs of their ears!
    I do read Airgun World and Airgunner, copies of which are brought up to the club.

ATB
    Ian
    Now, I can't remember seeing an article in Airgun Shooter showing you how to make a shooting gallery out of an old Mini wiper motor
    There were some really way out there projects in SAR, even making your own rangefinder, talk about ahead of its time.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Now, I can't remember seeing an article in Airgun Shooter showing you how to make a shooting gallery out of an old Mini wiper motor
    There were some really way out there projects in SAR, even making your own rangefinder, talk about ahead of its time.
    I remember the one on making your own spring compressor out of wood, a length of threaded rod and a few nuts. Even I managed to make it and stripped many a rifle including a FWB Sport without any blood loss.
    I lent it a friend and havent seen it since. [Lesson learnt - again! ]
    Then there was the article on the Rekord trigger unit with set trigger.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Remember the spring compressor, I think it was by Gerald Goodwin who had a FWB 127 so an invention born of necessity.

HW100 Mag, flawless.

In terms of the magazines, i stopped buying them as every review was good, and not really indicative of any issues. Any rifle i buy now, i wait to see what the forum offers from ACTUAL owners reviews before spending money.