Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Can anyone read this?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    7,274

    Can anyone read this?

    I have been given an old musket as a wall hanger. It appears it was made in somewhere like India or Nepal.
    It would be interesting to know where.

    The picture might be upside down!

    https://i.postimg.cc/MKqdNdZz/Barrel-Symbols.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    chelmsford
    Posts
    635
    any chance you can post a complete picture, it might help

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    10,666
    Run it passed Amir if you've got his contact details.

    He may know.

    Dave
    Smell my cheese

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    9,161
    It's Thai/Siamese.
    Several guns and trains.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Gloucester
    Posts
    446

    scan

    Is there a scan software that allows u to read text in order to translate it ?
    Am sure I read that Google or .....
    " Heroes of British Industry - Union Reps. challenging workplace harassment every single day "

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    aberdeenshire
    Posts
    22,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Is there a scan software that allows u to read text in order to translate it ?
    Am sure I read that Google or .....
    There is camera translating apps but they may not be able to read that .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    9,161
    As I noted earlier - it looks like Siamese, having seen similar inscriptions of similar firearms in the past. Take to to your local Siamese/Thai restaurant - or rather, an image. I'm sure they can help you out.
    Several guns and trains.

  8. #8
    cptman's Avatar
    cptman is online now Moody Git.........Apparently?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    ipswich
    Posts
    1,183
    ‘If you can read this you are too close’
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    9,161
    GOTTIT!!!!

    It IS Nepali - you were right!!

    It was also written by a very poor hand in Devanagari dialect - it reads, and it IS the right way up - La.Ta. 9735.

    There is no charge for this.
    Last edited by tacfoley; 26-01-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    Several guns and trains.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    GOTTIT!!!!

    It IS Nepali - you were right!!

    It was also written by a very poor hand in Devanagari dialect - it reads, and it IS the right way up - La.Ta. 9735.

    There is no charge for this.
    My apologies Tac, I've only just seen it. Thank you.

    I tried looking at the Nepalese alphabet and numbering. I could not figure out the letters but I got close to the number. I got it to 1735, so I have obviously not perfected my Nepalese yet.

    At a guess it appears to be a makers initials and and a serial number. I doubt that I will be able to find anything out about it. At least I know where the gun originated from.

    Thanks again.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    9,161
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    My apologies Tac, I've only just seen it. Thank you.

    I tried looking at the Nepalese alphabet and numbering. I could not figure out the letters but I got close to the number. I got it to 1735, so I have obviously not perfected my Nepalese yet.

    At a guess it appears to be a makers initials and and a serial number. I doubt that I will be able to find anything out about it. At least I know where the gun originated from.

    Thanks again.
    Thank YOU for your resplone.
    Several guns and trains.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •