Thread: springer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    No. The heat transfer from the hot air is a few Watts, I seem to remember 20- I worked it out, but over a very short period of time. It is a fraction of a Joule/ ftlb so don't worry about it. The heating due to friction between the moving surfaces will be higher. Airguns are pretty big chunks of metal so it would take a lot of energy to warm it up.

Not sure if Jim has stuck a springer in a freezer to see if they work at -20.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Not sure if Jim has stuck a springer in a freezer to see if they work at -20.
    Not a springer, Andy, but a TX cylinder and piston, to measure the effect on friction. As I pulled the piston back, air was drawn into the cylinder, and instantly condensed onto the cylinder wall and froze.

Friction was practically zero.

Red face springer

thanks,seems most of you agree it makes little difference. I will plink away all I like without worry , thank you all.

There can be a small but noticeable effect based on the rate of shooting. In essence shooting quickly warms the seal material slightly and this can lead to POI changes vs shooting more slowly.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Guessing that guns that diesel and especially those that detonate will produce higher temperatures. But also that the heat produced will be dissipated away quickly anyway.

Purely out of interest (as such a rapid rate of repeat fire won't actually bear my relevance to anyone's actual shooting habits apart from maybe making tin cans bounce about, CO2 stylee) it might be enlightening to see how one of the new Gamo magazine fed rifles performed comparing consistency in slow & deliberate vs "rapid fire".
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!