Thread: springer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Heat/cold

I'm no expert. But would think any possible gain/loss due to expansion of components as they warm would be lost as the gun is mainly made of metal - effectively a heatsink.

A few years back one of the mags ran tests (Jim Tyler?) on the effectiveness of seals at LOW temperatures, involving freezers etc. Took quite a drop to make any difference.

My 2p worth.

Bru
    Last edited by laverdabru; 30-12-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

depends how tight the seals are at 'normal ' temps
    if they re daft tight you'll lose power as things warm up and grow.

So little as makes no difference imho.

Personally, I am in favour of using a heat source on any springer.

Where I differ is my belief the heat source should continue till it melts terminator style������������
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    So little as makes no difference imho.

Personally, I am in favour of using a heat source on any springer.

Where I differ is my belief the heat source should continue till it melts terminator style������������
    That's downright nasty, that is!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    depends how tight the seals are at 'normal ' temps
    if they re daft tight you'll lose power as things warm up and grow.
    Yes, this. As Jim has explained to us in his excellent articles on the subject, it's all to do with the differences in coefficient of expansion of different materials at different temperatures. The most often used piston seal these days is the synthetic "parachute" design and it expands / contracts more due to different temperatures than the steel cylinder. So if, as above, we had a seal that fits on the tight side at "normal" temperatures, as the temp increases the seal expands more than the cylinder causing higher friction and hence, potentially, robbing power. As the temperature drops, this same seal will exhibited less friction and the gun can then deliver more power.

If the seal is a very loose fit, however, its contraction in size with very cold temperatures could marginalise its sealing capability and reduce power. And it has been known to happen to at least one person who I know on this very forum where with a very severe drop in temperature the rifle failed to shoot a pellet.

Other factors can also have an influence. Jim has covered how temperature shift affects power on different designs a few times now, including in this month's magazine covering how the PCP is affected.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!