Thread: Original model 5 ( grey grips .22)

Original model 5 ( grey grips .22)

Hi everybody, not often I venture into this section.
    I have offered (kind off) to service a friends original model 5. When it arrived it all seemed in good condition, putting out bisley practice pellets at 270 FPS (.22) so a little low but acceptable.
    I was having a bit of fun shooting it in the garage and all of a sudden it lost all power and wouldn’t even push a pellet out of the barrel.
    I’m guessing catastrophic main seal failure. So far I have removed the mainspring which seems fine. Looking at it, it looks like I now need to remove the trigger assembly to enable me to remove the cocking arm from the cocking slot?
    I thought I would ask on here before drifting the pin out - what do I need to be careful of? Does the little trigger tension spring stay on the trigger unit or does it ping across the workshop!
    Any advice appreciated greatly.

P.s Any idea where I can find a replacement seal? Both chambers and Knibbs are showing out of stock.

Diana mod 5 pistol

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    Hi everybody, not often I venture into this section.
    I have offered (kind off) to service a friends original model 5. When it arrived it all seemed in good condition, putting out bisley practice pellets at 270 FPS (.22) so a little low but acceptable.
    I was having a bit of fun shooting it in the garage and all of a sudden it lost all power and wouldn’t even push a pellet out of the barrel.
    I’m guessing catastrophic main seal failure. So far I have removed the mainspring which seems fine. Looking at it, it looks like I now need to remove the trigger assembly to enable me to remove the cocking arm from the cocking slot?
    I thought I would ask on here before drifting the pin out - what do I need to be careful of? Does the little trigger tension spring stay on the trigger unit or does it ping across the workshop!
    Any advice appreciated greatly.

P.s Any idea where I can find a replacement seal? Both chambers and Knibbs are showing out of stock.
    Hi I have just had a look on protek .site for you and they seem to have them for £12 each .Have a look see what you think

You can fit the seal over the dovetail in a twink by using a tapered pen top. I have a brass taper for fitting them....

https://i.imgur.com/AFUouSn.jpg

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

You do need to take apart the entire trigger mechanism (and remove the barrel) to get the piston out.

It takes time, but isn’t particularly fiddly. I don’t recall anything flying off into the blue yonder when I last did one.

It helps to take lots of pics as you go along.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.
    Protek supplied me with a new piston and breech seal, which have now been fitted - all is working as it should.
    I have now stripped it back down to component pieces ready to send to Shaun at ISP for a re blue.
    Couple of questions regarding the front sight -

It is complete but in a poor state so would like it re blued also. Has anybody successfully removed the plastic shroud that covers the hood in a manner that can be re used? (Can’t imagine I could replace it)

Is the circlip that the screw holding the front sight onto the dovetail the same size as the one used on the rear sight? - I can buy the rear one from chambers, but they don’t show the front

And lastly, was the lettering on the cylinder highlighted in white originally?

Thanks.