The boss has got the bug and has given us the ok to set up a "range" in
    the workshop one evening a week.
    Can I have some pics or ideas for an easily moved back stop
    Needs to have space for paper targets and I'll make some spinners to mount
    somehow.
    We'll be in a well lit, heated workshop, radio on, cuppa at the ready
    and send the apprentice to the chippy .......so nothing too noisy
    Cheers.

Spinners are likely to cause ricochets imho.

Sand is best as self heals if dry but depth required V's portability.

Lead melted into a pan also very good but setting up is a pain

Thing like carpet and paper wear out so care needed.

Sand allows the pellets to be recycled essily.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Lead flashing works well as a backstop. Five layers is fine for sub 12.

Sheet or slab of lead as has been advised. Put the target on wheels so moving it is not so much of a chore.

Shooting at what range, with what power, pistols or rifles, what sort of workshop? ie; what might you have lying around.

Sandbags will stop anything, Hession bags can be had for about 50p each in bulk bundles, you just sieve out the lead & reuse the sand in new bags as required.

A cardboard box packed full of rags, shake out the lead & put the rags in a new box as required.

pellet catching metal target holders, do what they say.

A square of carpet hung from the top edge so it can move/flex & adsorb the energy of the pellet without ricochets.

A couple of lightweight thermalight blocks.

A cardboard box of rags works well, old jeans are good but you need a lot for a decent sized box full,
    If you move the bull about as you patch the target area up with new targets and sellotape it lasts for ages, quiet as well.

Work, shooting, and chips, good man
    Martin

Years ago we got a pallet, screwed some 2x2" to give it feet and faced it off with some sheet metal. We always had a tonne of packing foam about so we'd place this in front and pin targets to it. The foam also stopped any bounce back. Well untill we punched through enough to make a big hole lol.

Crikey thinking about it, was my last job before I went self employed and my first experience with airguns.
    S&W M&P 1522 - Anschutz 1416 - Anschutz 1761 - Beretta Silver Pidgeon III - Yildiz SPE-ME 12G - ATA SP Black 12G - FWB800 - FX DRS - HW110K - HW100 - Steyr Pro-X - Steyr LG1 - Walther LGM-2

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    There should be a thread on here somewhere about setting up an indoor target range which should help.

Paving slab leaning forward onto 4 vertical bricks, 2 on each edge. Staple the target to a piece of cardboard and put it between the bricks.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, some really good ideas there.
    It's only 12fpe air rifles up to 50 yds.
    Thanks again all.

MDF on wheels backstop, giant oblong pellet trap, face inside with lead sheeting, use a large old blanket or tarpaulin, old car floor mats are great in front of that, inside the ‘back of the trap’
    Then a more replaceable ‘front’ more blankets or tarp or carpet off cuts (usually free and replaceable) or if you can get any polythene type close cell packing
    You can stand targets in front or attach onto with tape etc -
    The front can be replaced. If you design it well with a floor base you can also stack up boxes containing taped up magazines (thinner ones take the place of old Argos s now unavailable if parcel taped up) to mounts targets directly on too or take these out of base and put in front of whole contraption when shooting

All of this is very ricochet adverse and pretty quiet. I’d definitely go for a front that slows the pellets or captured them and a back that definitely stops anything yet still keeps noise down

I’n my garden I kinda do a mini version -I use and old heavy wooden door as ultimate backstop, I’ve made a standing mdf and 2x2 target board in front of that which has bisley target holders rested on ‘shelves’ and tied on too. These are the heavy ones with recoil absorbing back plates. I use carpet strips inside too.
    Very quiet, the not keen on shooting neighbors for not object to this set up -

After loads of different things over years, it was making my own target stand that really sorted it for me, and I’m not a carpenter for sure, but usually making something for the job well thought out, really sorts it -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I was told that rubber conveyor belting was used at the local leisure centre as a backstop --- I've not tried it myself but I imagine you'd have to mount it so it's free to swing when hit.

All the best Mick

in door i just fill a old box with stuffed rags

In my garden I use a couple of 500 x 500 x 50mm recycled rubber non-interlocking floor tiles which I rescued from a skip. They are used in childrens play areas and thinner mats in gyms. I've checked online and prices vary from a few pounds upwards.
    However, the pellet makes virtually no sound on impact and only penetrate about 5mm, so thinner, cheaper tiles could be used.