Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Air Pistol in Goldfinger ?

Webley Air Pistol in Goldfinger ?

Just spotted what may well be a Webley Air Pistol in the James Bond film 'Goldfinger' ?

At the part in the film where 007 narrowly misses death by being cut in half with an industrial laser, Auric Goldfinger gets one of his henchmen to shoot James Bond with a Tranquilizer pistol. Well it looks like that is a Webley Senior with a long barrel (maybe a false add on?) The way the light hits the rear of the gun shows the slot in the cylinder and the rear sight adjusting screw.

Maybe its time to throw out the Walther on all the posters and replace it with a Wobbly ?

Lakey

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Just spotted what may well be a Webley Air Pistol in the James Bond film 'Goldfinger' ?

At the part in the film where 007 narrowly misses death by being cut in half with an industrial laser, Auric Goldfinger gets one of his henchmen to shoot James Bond with a Tranquilizer pistol. Well it looks like that is a Webley Senior with a long barrel (maybe a false add on?) The way the light hits the rear of the gun shows the slot in the cylinder and the rear sight adjusting screw.

Maybe its time to throw out the Walther on all the posters and replace it with a Wobbly ?

Lakey
    "No Mr Bond..I expect you to show us how to cock this bleedin' thing without skinning our knuckles"

ATB, ED

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    "No Mr Bond..I expect you to show us how to cock this bleedin' thing without skinning our knuckles"

ATB, ED
    Morning Ed, hope you are well in these crazy times.

The other thing I noticed was that it was completely recoilless when it was "fired", so they must have got the Webley design team to completely redesign the gun for the movie

Lakey

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Red face

Thought the Webley pistol would have been at the 'Premier'

Where's me coat

harvey_s is online now Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    It's a Palmer Cap-chur model 60 short range projector dart gun...which looks about 90% Crosman 2240

Very drole Binners was that in a christmas cracker
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    It's a Palmer Cap-chur model 60 short range projector dart gun...which looks about 90% Crosman 2240
    It definitely looks like a Webley, just after the baddie shoots Sean it catches the light and you can clearly see the slotted end cap and distinctive plate rearsight.

Well spotted by the way,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by martini1215 View Post
    Very drole Binners was that in a christmas cracker
    Thank you for noticing, I get ignored most of the time.
    Strange that

"Webleys Galore? I must be dreaming..."

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    It definitely looks like a Webley, just after the baddie shoots Sean it catches the light and you can clearly see the slotted end cap and distinctive plate rearsight.

Well spotted by the way,
    Matt
    I thought the same many years ago to be honest, hence knowing the right answer now.

But when you think about it, the traquilliser gun does fit in with the story a bit better than getting shot with a 20 year old Webley overlever that would have just resulted in an anticlimaxing 'Ow!!' from the smarting 007...

Haven’t seen it for ages, but pretty sure it was a Webley.

I think the Cap-Chur featured in a different film or films, whether Bonds or something else similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post

So it starts as a Crosman (or Benji, or similar) and then changes into a Webley with a thing stuck on the end? Or was it always a Webley mocked up to look like a Cap-Chur, just more convincing from some angles than others?

Just watched the clip again on youtube - It definitely looks like it starts with a Cap-chur in the first frames when the technician produces the gun, but I can also see the Webley resemblance when the camera angle shifts to directly behind...

Actually blowing up the first image above does show an odd gap in the breech area that shouldn't be there on a Cap-chur - so maybe it is a mock up as Geezer suggests...
    Last edited by harvey_s; 07-01-2021 at 09:01 PM.