Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which .22 sub 12ft lb pcp rifle to buy ?

Map your perms and mark distances to places you see quarry from.

I have a Note 8 so I can take pics and annotate the distances from one point to another.

Another good app is what3words.... accurate to a 3m x 3m square.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

There is no real need for a big shot count if you're hunting. If I ever started hunting again I would be looking at a multi-shot Ultra or an S200 and get a multi shot adapter for it.
    If you need more shots (I'm presuming you're travelling to your permission by car) I would suggest taking a bottle with you and returning to your car for a top up but an Ultra will drop 30 rabbits from 1 fill which will weigh a lot more than a heavy gun.
    Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    an Ultra will drop 30 rabbits from 1 fill
    Get an Ultra regulated and you'll get far more shots.

My .177 Ultra is Tench Regged, and gives around a hundred shots from a 250 bar fill.

If being used for hunting I would have thought 30 shots would be plenty for a hunting session. I know people who are more than happy with the factory Ultra for this purpose.

If being used for hunting I would have thought 30 shots would be plenty for a hunting session. I know people who are more than happy with the factory Ultra for this purpose.
    I'm happy with my standard Ultra Gary. My SE in .22, gets 50 very consistent shots. Never shot more than about 10 rabbits in one hunting trip in 32 years of hunting. Pigeons is a different matter, but still if you get anywhere near 30 ish with an air rifle, your doing bloody well. Woodies that is, ferals is a different matter.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Hftmelton View Post
    That's it ...im getting £1 grouping at 60yards at . Im quiet a good shooting at paper targets but not seem too be getting kill shots, ive only just started with quarry , so purchased a range finder to help judge range as im not very good at it ,and just upgraded to jsb heavy. 177
    If you're quite new to hunting a good way to get a feel for it is view the quarry through the uncocked rifle and take a mock shot, I know it sounds daft and doesn't put anything in the bag but the jump from targets to rabbits and the nerves can kick in,
    Even if you don't feel jumpy it takes the pressure off, you get time to think about it, when you pull the trigger you know if you were on it.
    Then start cocking the rifle,
    A quid at 60yards is good shooting (and a long way!) So you obviously have the eye for it, it worked for me.
    Stick with it bud happy hunting Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Moss74 View Post
    If you're quite new to hunting a good way to get a feel for it is view the quarry through the uncocked rifle and take a mock shot, I know it sounds daft and doesn't put anything in the bag but the jump from targets to rabbits and the nerves can kick in,
    Even if you don't feel jumpy it takes the pressure off, you get time to think about it, when you pull the trigger you know if you were on it.
    Then start cocking the rifle,
    A quid at 60yards is good shooting (and a long way!) So you obviously have the eye for it, it worked for me.
    Stick with it bud happy hunting Martin
    See post 12. Hitting targets but not quarry. 69 yard shots is going beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    See post 12. Hitting targets but not quarry. 69 yard shots is going beyond.
    I agree with you there Steyr,
    I didn't mean to imply in my post shots at that range were acceptable at quarry
    Just wanted to offer some encouragement to someone that's starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    I'm happy with my standard Ultra Gary. My SE in .22, gets 50 very consistent shots. Never shot more than about 10 rabbits in one hunting trip in 32 years of hunting. Pigeons is a different matter, but still if you get anywhere near 30 ish with an air rifle, your doing bloody well. Woodies that is, ferals is a different matter.
    I hope you're keeping well Dave.
    It was you I was referring to, I know you really rate them.
    When I used to go to Rochdale Airgun Club they had a couple of Ultras in .177 which they used to hire out and they were super accurate. From memory I thought they gave around 30 shots from a fill.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 22-01-2021 at 06:30 AM.

If you're fortunate to have a prolific ratting permission you could easily exceed 30 shots in a session, but I have to admit, my top bag of rabbits was eight in a morning.

Quote Originally Posted by the bish View Post
    If you're fortunate to have a prolific ratting permission you could easily exceed 30 shots in a session, but I have to admit, my top bag of rabbits was eight in a morning.
    Crap I dream of only 8. One perm the max I would shoot would be 50 as had to dress the beggars out into the small hours. I think I had to do that 3 times at that perm before we got it down to 30 then 20 or so each attendance. Last I surveyed there were only seven seen out but massive building project there so I guess a lot of the warrens have literally been bulldozed.

Best foxes was 11 in one night and missed the 12th......damn n blast it. That was a brilliant night. We saw loads more but too far off to engage or shot too risky due to venues layout.

I do hate the smell of rabbit though. It stinks and used to make me heave till I got used to it. No problem with deer. But rabbit honks.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    S/h bsa Scorpian JB blueprinted be best bang for the buck
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by the bish View Post
    Hftmelton (OP) did say he was looking for a gun for rabbits (he did say he wanted a high shot count which puzzles me, unless when the hunting dries up he wants to have a plink on his permission).
    He's not been on for a week so he may well be spending his time stalking his quarry!

leadpig is offline sheet lead welder extraordinaire
    which is exactly why i just got another admittedly i put a bigger cylinder on but that is for pest control/plinking, over the years i have had more decent airguns than you could point a sh1ty stick at and the two pcp's ive gone back to are the bsa ultra se in .22, and waiting on a hw100k in.177.
    also the pellet loop argument is not really valid these days as most people use range finders anyway and all you need to do is put the drop data onto your scope cover or use stelock etc on your phone