Quote Originally Posted by Hftmelton View Post
all, im looking for new .22 pcp air rifle for large farm land permissions for rabbits, looking for a powerful 11.5 ft lb and accurate , multi shot with good shot count, brought the rotex rm8 .177 ( great rifle but heavy , and better for targets ). If i was to break the budget id get the fx maverick . But heres my short list :- kral np03 , kral puncher empire , kral jumbo hi cap , webley raider quantum , gamo coyote tactical aselkon mx6, mx8, ,bsa ultra se multi shot
Hi.

There's actually nothing wrong with the rifle that you have for rabbits.

Is it simply down to the weight of your Rotex that's pushing you toward buying another rifle?

If it is, as has already been suggested a rifle sling may be a simple solution.

If you're going for a .22 because you believe, or have been told that a sub 12ft/lb .177 air rifle isn't sufficiently powerful to cleanly kill a rabbit at realistic ranges then I can reassure you that it is, as I've killed many rabbits with my .177 air rifles.

Whether you use sub 12ft/lb .177 or .22 you have to take head shots to ensure humane kills, and either calibre is suitable.

Accuracy is the most important issue, you have to be able to consistently hit a target the size of a £1 coin which is around the size of a rabbit's brain, and you shouldn't push your ranges beyond the distance that you can confidently achieve this.

I try to shoot prone from a bipod as much as possible as this enhances accuracy greatly.

Yes, .22 does hit harder down range, but range estimation is more critical with its loopier trajectory.

.177 flies flatter and still carries enough energy to kill cleanly.

If it is the weight issue that's critical for you, then of the rifles you listed the only one I have experience of is the BSA Ultra.

I have owned one in .177 calibre for about six years and it's my go to gun in sub 12ft/lb. it's light, short, and very accurate, and if you get it regulated it gives you loads more shots over the standard rifle.