Thread: Stirrup pumps - Moisture traps?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the start tanks on the compressors above we open the drain valve slowly to let water out . It you opened it full it often got blocked with ice or shot ice out at very high speed.

It was a 6mm orifice.

Are the little glass beads not actually silica gel beads and hence absorbent? If they are actually glass, is it possible to buy these beads anywhere as I substituted mine for silica beads (from a random purchase that had them in the packaging) a few years back....

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by S6PNJ View Post
    Are the little glass beads not actually silica gel beads and hence absorbent? If they are actually glass, is it possible to buy these beads anywhere as I substituted mine for silica beads (from a random purchase that had them in the packaging) a few years back....
    Silica gel needs to be dried out by heating or it will quickly become ubnable to absorb any more moisture. They do not have a large capacity - the little bag you get in scope or camera boxes are only intended to remove the atmospheric moisture in the box.
    Last edited by Turnup; 18-01-2021 at 02:41 PM.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I made my own moisture trap out of a clear plastic bottle, of about a litre, filled with dessicant beads. Thin sheet of filter foam above and below the beads, holes drilled around the base for air to enter, tube out of the top to the pump inlet.
    I used the type of beads that change colour as it absorbs the moisture so you know when they need drying.
    The comercially available traps all seemed to small to me.
    Daz