Thread: Stirrup pumps - Moisture traps?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stirrup pumps - Moisture traps?

Hi all. Due to the Covid situation and the difficulty in obtaining tank refills, I am looking at going down the road of a stirrup pump to ensure that I will never be stuck for air as I am now.

I have a tank but is down to 1500 psi and needs topped up. All my shooting is done around the house so in the past, the problem of lugging a tank around was never an issue. My nearest fill is about an hours drive but I can go several months between fills.

Nearly all my airgun shooting is pest control and the occasional plinking session.

Anyhow, stirrup pumps. Ranging in price from around £40 up to almost £200 after quickly searching the internet.

My question is are the cheap ones to be avoided and from my understanding, I cannot see how the expensive ones with the moisture traps work.

The traps obviously filter out the moisture from the air drawn into the pump, but as moisture is generated by the heat of the pump being worked, that moisture is in the pressure side of the pump and ultimately into the gun itself.

I do not have an issue with the physical side. I've got a teenage boy who is keen to earn some extra pocket money. Lol

Can anyone with some real world experience of using a stirrup pump offer any advice or comment on the negatives or recommend any in particular.

Thanks, B
    Last edited by bobthedug; 11-01-2021 at 10:17 AM.