Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stirrup pumps - Moisture traps?

Stirrup pumps - Moisture traps?

Hi all. Due to the Covid situation and the difficulty in obtaining tank refills, I am looking at going down the road of a stirrup pump to ensure that I will never be stuck for air as I am now.

I have a tank but is down to 1500 psi and needs topped up. All my shooting is done around the house so in the past, the problem of lugging a tank around was never an issue. My nearest fill is about an hours drive but I can go several months between fills.

Nearly all my airgun shooting is pest control and the occasional plinking session.

Anyhow, stirrup pumps. Ranging in price from around £40 up to almost £200 after quickly searching the internet.

My question is are the cheap ones to be avoided and from my understanding, I cannot see how the expensive ones with the moisture traps work.

The traps obviously filter out the moisture from the air drawn into the pump, but as moisture is generated by the heat of the pump being worked, that moisture is in the pressure side of the pump and ultimately into the gun itself.

I do not have an issue with the physical side. I've got a teenage boy who is keen to earn some extra pocket money. Lol

Can anyone with some real world experience of using a stirrup pump offer any advice or comment on the negatives or recommend any in particular.

Thanks, B
    Last edited by bobthedug; 11-01-2021 at 10:17 AM.

I've got a Hill pump without a moisture trap. It's only used very occasionally, I normally use a bottle. Personally I don't have any concerns, especially for occasional use.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

The moisture isn't generated by the pump, it's in the air around you, but without the moisture filter, it gets "concentrated" on the HP side.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I was given a rifle where the previous owner had routinely used a stirrup pump, without a moisture trap, to fill it. When I stripped it, to replace the seals, there were clear signs of internal corrosion on some of the parts. Fortunately, the corrosion was not so bad that they could not be cleaned up and the rifle now works fine.

The problem is that the dew point (the temperature at which you get condensation of the water out from the air) is higher for air under pressure than for air at atmospheric pressure. You can probably reduce this effect by filling the gun from a stirrup pump on a cold dry day outside. Cold air contains less moisture, for the same relative humidity, than warm air.

My view is that it is probably OK to just top up a rifle that has been mostly filled from a dive bottle, on an occasional basis, but I wouldn't routinely fill it from empty using a stirrup pump without some form of moisture trap.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    The moisture isn't generated by the pump, it's in the air around you, but without the moisture filter, it gets "concentrated" on the HP side.
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

My very basic understanding of the science behind it is that the action of operating the pump generates heat which in turn causes moisture to form in the pump?

Hence my question about the moisture ending up on the high pressure side of the pump despite the filter being in place.

Maybe I need to stop overthinking things

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    I was given a rifle where the previous owner had routinely used a stirrup pump, without a moisture trap, to fill it. When I stripped it, to replace the seals, there were clear signs of internal corrosion on some of the parts. Fortunately, the corrosion was not so bad that they could not be cleaned up and the rifle now works fine.

The problem is that the dew point (the temperature at which you get condensation of the water out from the air) is higher for air under pressure than for air at atmospheric pressure. You can probably reduce this effect by filling the gun from a stirrup pump on a cold dry day outside. Cold air contains less moisture, for the same relative humidity, than warm air.

My view is that it is probably OK to just top up a rifle that has been mostly filled from a dive bottle, on an occasional basis, but I wouldn't routinely fill it from empty using a stirrup pump without some form of moisture trap.
    Thanks for that. I think for the savings made when buying a cheap pump compared to the potential issues further down the line with moisture in your rifle, it would be best to spend the little extra for a pump with a moisture trap.

Needs must in these times I guess. I bought a Hills Mk4 with the trap back in May and would highly recommend it, I think the advice at the time was and still is slow and steady and that's how I use it.

Just a couple of weeks ago I had my bottle filled but I am currently using the pump for up to 170 bar or so then finish off with the bottle to 220.

i used to use a pump to top up my guns

pump

have a look at www.airriflepump.com i recently purchased there latest model a MK 5 hills pump.with DRY PACK,it's advertised as 20% less effort in pumping, time will tell as i've not used it as of yet, it's a quality bit of kit.should last for age's.

I use an fx pump, but generally only fill up at home in nice conditions

When had a rifle serviced no problems with moisture

Considering a pcp may need service in 5 years or so anyway, not much risk
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply. ...... the action of operating the pump generates heat which in turn causes moisture to form in the pump? ....
    No, that's not true. The action of the pump does not generate, create or conjure-up water.

The water vapour which is invisible (steam from a kettle is visible because it has condensed into fog) has to enter the pump before it can leave the pump and condense back into water.

Filters, or more properly called dryers will stop most of the vapour entering a pump, either professional or amateur.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    No, that's not true. The action of the pump does not generate, create or conjure-up water.

The water vapour which is invisible (steam from a kettle is visible because it has condensed into fog) has to enter the pump before it can leave the pump and condense back into water.

Filters, or more properly called dryers will stop most of the vapour entering a pump, either professional or amateur.
    Smashing! Got it now. Everyday is a schoolday as they say. Thanks

I've been filling my S400 from an FX pump for years. Never any problems and rifle holds air for ever. 110 Bar up to 170 Bar, 55 perfect shots at 770 fps with 8 pumps to get up to fill pressure and 60 more to my max. easy peasy japanesey! who needs a bottle!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I use an FX 3 stage pump with a small additional inline trap that is made of loads of glass balls (something to do with a massive surface area?).
    I only pump indoors (all year round) as I believed the air was dryer (but people cleverer than I say that's not always the case...)
    I'm filling an S200 with an alloy cylinder which has a fairly small capacity and the pump doesn't doesn't get hot, which probably helps.
    I stripped the cylinder after many years of using this as my only source of air to replace the seals and I was pleased to find no hint of corrosion anywhere in the cylinder or brass fittings - so whatever I'm doing works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    Thanks for that. I think for the savings made when buying a cheap pump compared to the potential issues further down the line with moisture in your rifle, it would be best to spend the little extra for a pump with a moisture trap.
    Maybe better with a purpose built filter with whatever pump you decide on?
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.