Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap chrono' cheap pocket scales

cheap chrono' cheap pocket scales

Hi, I treated myself, for xmas I now have a Chinese chrono & a drug dealers pocket scales, can anybody out there inform me the best way in simple terms, how do I measure velocity & power etc ? [this might be on an older thread?] kind regards Al.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    Hi, I treated myself, for xmas I now have a Chinese chrono & a drug dealers pocket scales, can anybody out there inform me the best way in simple terms, how do I measure velocity & power etc ? [this might be on an older thread?] kind regards Al.
    Hi Al

Without sounding uppity you need to read your chrono instructions on how to operate it as they are all different, but a few basics to ensure are:

1. Make sure it's set to units we use - so typically FPS/FPE/gn or your readings will be meaningless

2. Ensure consistency, you must shoot through the exact same way/distance/angle every time or your readings will be false

3. Don't shoot the chrono! Get it aligned and have a good backstop of open area behind it.

Pellets out the tin are fine for just casual checking of power, but if you weight ten pellets to within 0.1gn then do a 10 shot string then this is far more accurate and usable data.

And remember, most pellets will perform differently in most guns, it's common for you get to different power readings with different pellets, even the same pellets of different batches.

Typically lighter pellets perform better power wise in a springer, and heavier pellets perform better power wise in a PCP, but not always I use AA Express for springers and JSB heavies for PCPs to make sure I stay legal
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Try Airgun Calc from the app store

If your chronograph is anything like mine it will read in metres per second and cannot be changed.
    There plenty of online calculators where you input speed and weight and they tell you power.

At 670 fps ( or 204 mps) weight in grains = ft/lbs
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

If it reads in metres per second as most of the cheapie Chinese ones do, the formula is:

velocity x velocity x weight x 10.76 / 450240

for feet per second its:

velocity x velocity x weight / 450240

In both of those the pellet weight is in grains, to convert to grains from grams it's:

1 gram = 15.4324 grains

If you find that your scales don't give sufficient resolution then weigh 10 or 100 pellets at once and divide the reported weight appropriately to get the weight of one pellet.

As an alternative many RFD sites have a converter, I usually use TBT's at .com it's at the bottom of the dropdown list for videos.

Oh it seems his site name is blocked

....or simply use this http://extorian.co.uk/shooting/pellets.html
    been using it for years

thanks for replay

Quote Originally Posted by the logun-ator View Post
    ....or simply use this http://extorian.co.uk/shooting/pellets.html
    been using it for years
    Thank's, Simple 's I tested one of my oldest guns, a about 1910 0.25 Millita & it came out at 16 ft/lp wow! but it had desield [lots of blue smoke]. further shots regesterd approx 4- 5 ft/lbs . I am happy with that, now will have to test the rest, thanks for reply. cheers

Hi I've just learnt some stuff from this thread. Appreciated. Would it be ok to ask what model the chrono is as I'll be looking for a starter one soon hopefully. Cheers. Marc

Really good thread.
    It would be nice to know what makes / models members would recommend for a general indication for a moderate budget. Perhaps there are specific ones for pistols or rifles?
    Thanks for your help.

Cheap chrono'

Hi, Hallj, & Aardvark55, I got the 'chrono' from wish, £22.00 & the pocket scales from amazon £6.99 they are both working good for what I need. I am sure if you Google you will find what you are looking for. kind regards Al.
    Last edited by cringe; 14-01-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Much appreciated

I got the x3005 one from Amazon for under £30 next day delivery and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmsOfAir View Post
    I got the x3005 one from Amazon for under £30 next day delivery and it works well.
    Theres a few Utube videos of the XT3 series.
    just watch a couple, it seems straight forward to operate wifi connectivity and pocket size. 120 shot recordable.
    Theres a few versions available.
    Did not realise that there was Chronos at this price range available, for what i need i think it will be great to get me started.
    Only thing im not so fussed on is it uses a rod setup to attach to the barrel.

Thank you very much for the info, i might just pick one up to get me started.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallj View Post
    Theres a few Utube videos of the XT3 series.
    just watch a couple, it seems straight forward to operate wifi connectivity and pocket size. 120 shot recordable.
    Theres a few versions available.
    Did not realise that there was Chronos at this price range available, for what i need i think it will be great to get me started.
    Only thing im not so fussed on is it uses a rod setup to attach to the barrel.

Thank you very much for the info, i might just pick one up to get me started.
    I also have the Amazon x3005 and have added a universal mount for it from the auction site that may not be mentioned.
    Makes it much much easier to mount (though if you have a moderator it's just as easy to fit it to that then move the moderator around onto whichever gun you want to measure).