Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back to shooting....so looking for a recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by CORKY. View Post
    I tried the Webley Alecto, could not get on with it at all. Heavy, uncomfortable grip, the .22 does not have a silencer, the .177 does. I can only assume that the .22 is quieter in the first place. Already having PCP rifles I had the easy option to go the PCP route. Instantly smitten with the HW44, .22 , more accuracy than I need, silencer available, VERY comfortable to hold/use, more so than the Steyr LP50 I owned. I also now have a Beeman P17 , real value for money, available in .177 and .22, I have the .22. Not high on power but accurate at 10 metres, comfortable. . Open sights are best for this, because you need to grip the barrel to cock it, scope or red dot would get in the way. I bought the HW44 first, it is expensive, and very good. However , if I had bought the Beeman P17 first, which is exceptional value, and Fun, I don't think I would have bought the HW 44. Welcome to the Forum.
    Hi Corky,
    did you get the scope and silencer with the HW44?

Quote Originally Posted by Madoldlad401 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, can you give me some more detail.....model 10 , I aren’t sure what that refers to?
    M&G Diana “Original” brand (in U.K.) LP10 recoilless 10M match pistol from the 70s and 80s.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....iana-model-10/

Awesome pistol. Doesn’t hurt that it looks like a sci-fi ray gun.

I also have a Beeman P17 and it's a great little gun. I compared the HW40 and Beeman side by side in the shop and there wasn't a huge difference in external quality, just a few tougher edges on the plastic in the Beeman but at around half the price of the HW40 I bought the P17 and gave the tougher edges a light sand with wet and dry.

As another alternative the Artemis PP700 is a great little PCP pistol though starting to push your budget by the time you get a pump as well (though my £30 one has been faultless for the past 6 months). It also doesn't have elevation adjustment on the sight.
    Also consider the Diana Bandit pistol. Unregulated PCP but at £150 from Macavoys it's a real bargain, even with RFD transfer.
    https://www.mcavoyguns.co.uk/content...ir-pistol.html

First, make up yr mind what exactly you want. If you want match youll never be happy with a HW or Gamo Compact. They just are nót matchpistols.
    For match, I always repeat, the Tau 7 is very hard to beat
    If you dont want CO2 than maybe spring but Diana LP10 etc are old, seals areold, needs overhauling, not everything available anymore...(seal etc are but not specific things). I prefer the LP6. LP10 grip is too thin.
    Would advice ssp. Theyre very awkward to cock. Wouldnt advice FEWB sidelevers either. They have a very weird off balance, very light up front heavy at the back
    And awkward to cock as well.
    Maybe as semi Daisy 717/747? Dunno if still available
    UK Tempests etc are huge fun but at their best at 6yrds
    Very much like LP5 magnum. But its large and heavy; not for 1 handed. And not madea nymore either
    ATB,
    yana

Hi Corky,
    did you get the scope and silencer with the HW44?
    I bought the silencer later, not really needed in my back garden, I usually wait for the neighbours to go to work, it's the targets that make the noise. The whole silencer is a bit of a faff to remove/replace with the allen screws, but if you can tolerate the look, the barrel part of the silencer unscrews, leaving the adaptor in place, or you can just buy a bigger case. Yes I bought a PAO zoom scope, not used it yet, just tried it for size and eye relief. The accuracy with open sights is amazing at 10 metres. Last pistol was a Gatt, back in the last century, way back, and I couldn't hit the fence with that. Power has been mentioned, The HW44 flattens the pellets, the Beeman P17 does not, but they both shoot accurately which is the name of the game , unless you insist on putting holes through paint tins. Availability, I walked across 3 fields and a golf course to my local RFD for the Beeman, he had both calibres in stock. My son found a sharp edge somewhere, which was simple to round off, it has a great trigger, it costs nothing shoots well, and is FUN, just don't trap your nipple
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

I have looked at this it looks rather plastic? How is it quality / robust wise ?
    Its one of the few airguns I have where the plastic does not bother me. It works great, and seems to last without any problems.
    The P17 is cheaper, but is not European made

welcome to the forum enjoy your shooting bud

Update

So I’d like to say thankyou for all your input and responses, really helpful.
    I ended up getting talking to a chap at work mentioned air pistols he mentions his son used to shoot a pistol but has packed it in. I ask what pistol does he have what is he doing with them......no idea comes the reply....conversation ends.
    Yesterday same chap collars me as I pass him passes me a piece of paper saying son has 2 pistols he is selling both prices and names of pistols on the bit of paper along with his telephone number.

So I have ended up with a HW44 .177 in its box with the 2 magazines, a pao 2x 20 scope in its box unused with mounts and a pump all seen very little use less than 3 months old all at a very good price. Excellent can’t wait to have a play.....
    Only thing missing was a silencer so I’m on the lookout for one if anyone knows of or has one for sale ......it’s in the wanted section already

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    So I’d like to say thankyou for all your input and responses, really helpful.
    I ended up getting talking to a chap at work mentioned air pistols he mentions his son used to shoot a pistol but has packed it in. I ask what pistol does he have what is he doing with them......no idea comes the reply....conversation ends.
    Yesterday same chap collars me as I pass him passes me a piece of paper saying son has 2 pistols he is selling both prices and names of pistols on the bit of paper along with his telephone number.

So I have ended up with a HW44 .177 in its box with the 2 magazines, a pao 2x 20 scope in its box unused with mounts and a pump all seen very little use less than 3 months old all at a very good price. Excellent can’t wait to have a play.....
    Only thing missing was a silencer so I’m on the lookout for one if anyone knows of or has one for sale ......it’s in the wanted section already
    What a result- well done! Enjoy it
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

just been in the garage at 10 yards open sights, oh my word this thing is accurate, only misses are my terrible technique and the trigger seems really good, not to heavy either.

Put 100 shots through from full to refill. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy this.

Just set about making a target box for outside I can lift in and out use with paper targets or other targets and lift back into the garage drop onto a mount and its wall mounted again. Won't be pretty as its going to be made from lots of scrap wood / board etc. Lined with plumbers mate and if I can find some a layer of lead flashing