Thread: Back to shooting....so looking for a recommendation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CORKY. View Post
    I tried the Webley Alecto, could not get on with it at all. Heavy, uncomfortable grip, the .22 does not have a silencer, the .177 does. I can only assume that the .22 is quieter in the first place. Already having PCP rifles I had the easy option to go the PCP route. Instantly smitten with the HW44, .22 , more accuracy than I need, silencer available, VERY comfortable to hold/use, more so than the Steyr LP50 I owned. I also now have a Beeman P17 , real value for money, available in .177 and .22, I have the .22. Not high on power but accurate at 10 metres, comfortable. . Open sights are best for this, because you need to grip the barrel to cock it, scope or red dot would get in the way. I bought the HW44 first, it is expensive, and very good. However , if I had bought the Beeman P17 first, which is exceptional value, and Fun, I don't think I would have bought the HW 44. Welcome to the Forum.
    Hi Corky,
    did you get the scope and silencer with the HW44?

Quote Originally Posted by Madoldlad401 View Post
    Hi Corky,
    did you get the scope and silencer with the HW44?
    I bought the silencer later, not really needed in my back garden, I usually wait for the neighbours to go to work, it's the targets that make the noise. The whole silencer is a bit of a faff to remove/replace with the allen screws, but if you can tolerate the look, the barrel part of the silencer unscrews, leaving the adaptor in place, or you can just buy a bigger case. Yes I bought a PAO zoom scope, not used it yet, just tried it for size and eye relief. The accuracy with open sights is amazing at 10 metres. Last pistol was a Gatt, back in the last century, way back, and I couldn't hit the fence with that. Power has been mentioned, The HW44 flattens the pellets, the Beeman P17 does not, but they both shoot accurately which is the name of the game , unless you insist on putting holes through paint tins. Availability, I walked across 3 fields and a golf course to my local RFD for the Beeman, he had both calibres in stock. My son found a sharp edge somewhere, which was simple to round off, it has a great trigger, it costs nothing shoots well, and is FUN, just don't trap your nipple
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango