Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to shooting....so looking for a recommendation

Back to shooting....so looking for a recommendation

Hello to everyone,
    I’m coming back to shooting after many years away.
    I’m going to start with a pistol and some target and plinking in the garden. Ideally want something reasonably quiet, probably a .177, second hand or new.
    I had a hw45 in the past loved it but it’s probably a bit noisy for me now....unless you convince me otherwise.
    Like the look of the HW75 but it’s expensive so a second hand model needed maybe.

Even thought about a more target oriented pistol.

So what do you think? Your thoughts, your favourites ,your dislikes, your reasons, your experiences will all be gratefully received.

Cheers folks.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Any chance you can let us have an idea of budget then I can make some suggestions.
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

For a cheap, accurate European made pistol for informal target shooting/plinking, theres really only one option, and that is the HW40:
    https://www.weihrauch-sport.de/air-p...40-pca?lang=en

Oh, and it has a really good trigger too.

There are many good pistols.

Unfortunately, there are also many bad ones.

Equally unfortunately, a lot of those offered new now are not very good.

Some good ones (those still made are underlined):

Spring: BSA Scorpion. Diana/Original model 5 and 6 (particular favourites) and 10. FWB65/80. Gamo Center/Target. Webley Senior/Premier/Tempest/Hurricane. HW45, HW70.

SSP: Gamo PR15/PR45/Compact. FAS604. Daisy 717/747. HW40. Beeman P17. HW75.

Pump-ups (can be quiet on 1-2 pumps): Webley-Zoracki Alecto. Crosman 1377.

Smile budget...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    Any chance you can let us have an idea of budget then I can make some suggestions.
    as little as possible.

....no £300 ish as a maximum

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    For a cheap, accurate European made pistol for informal target shooting/plinking, theres really only one option, and that is the HW40:
    https://www.weihrauch-sport.de/air-p...40-pca?lang=en

Oh, and it has a really good trigger too.
    I have looked at this it looks rather plastic? How is it quality / robust wise ?

madoldlad- I see there's been many good suggestions!

All I would say is decide what you want to do- tin can mangling (always fun when you have no neighbours to worry about) or target shooting.

With the former any decent CO2 powered BB semi-auto will keep you very amused and can start a collection of fairly decent real steel replicas if that is your bag.

If target shooting then you need to decide if you want spring, CO2 or compressed air (SSP or PCP) power. I would suggest initially you start with something inherently accurate that is easy to use and relatively inexpensive. A Gamo Compact, a S/H FAS 604 or a S/H FWB 65 will be all you need- perhaps for ever (note that each pistol listed get progressively more expensive). All capable of excellent results if you do your thing!

A halfway house if you want something decently accurate, easy to use and hard hitting is my fun favourite- a Crosman 2240. If you get hooked on these don't just don't search out tuning and customising mods because you won't stop... Actually this is probably the one pistol above all I would keep if I could only have one...

Once these are mastered start looking at more challenging pistols like a HW45, Diana P5, even Webley overlevers. Calibre? Pure target pistols are only ever 177. Recoiling spring pistols can be 177 or 22. My personal choice is always 22 for these. I bought and sold a couple of 177 HW45's before trying 22, a revelation! Much smoother and forgiving hence a LOT more accurate- for me anyway.

I have had all the pistols noted in the previous posts and still own many (out of a collection of at least 40 pistols) Most of which I shoot in informal on-line competitions. There is many I would avoid like the plague but probably best I don't mention them as some have a following - you need to try as many as you can!
    Last edited by Tony.T; 12-01-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks for the replies

some great options in there. I do like the hw45 I had an older .177 no longer unfortunately. The hw40 does look it a bit on the plastic side.

HW75 looks great but low power, is that an issue. Interesting on the Beeman option .

There are other beeman options is there a good uk source for beeman.

Gamo Compact looks good and a great price what's it like on quality / robust? Never had a Gamo.

Alteco....not sure looks really cheap, good performer though, multiple pumps sounds like a bit of a pain as well.

Every now and then I get a hankering to play with an air pistol. Over the years I have had various different makes and models - HW45, HW40, tempest, CP88. All nice, but have never really gelled with any of them and sold them on after a brief period.
    My latest hankering has been fed by the purchase of an original model 10 - what a gamechanger, obviously it is more target oriented thus more accurate. In a nutshell, more enjoyable to shoot.

If I was you, I’d be looking at one of the older self contained pistols, be it spring or SSP. If you get bored and you bought wisely, you should be able to get your money back when you/if you sell on.

Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    Every now and then I get a hankering to play with an air pistol. Over the years I have had various different makes and models - HW45, HW40, tempest, CP88. All nice, but have never really gelled with any of them and sold them on after a brief period.
    My latest hankering has been fed by the purchase of an original model 10 - what a gamechanger, obviously it is more target oriented thus more accurate. In a nutshell, more enjoyable to shoot.

If I was you, I’d be looking at one of the older self contained pistols, be it spring or SSP. If you get bored and you bought wisely, you should be able to get your money back when you/if you sell on.

Just my thoughts.
    I was thinking just the same- but wanted to be a bit more general if you understand?

The Model 10 is the pistol I used for intercounty postal comps 30 years ago. I still have medals and trophies from then. An astounding pistol that I stupidly sold on- only to replace a few tears ago for old times sake! Still use it for competitive shooting and with concentration it still holds it's own

I was thinking just the same- but wanted to be a bit more general if you understand?

The Model 10 is the pistol I used for intercounty postal comps 30 years ago. I still have medals and trophies from then. An astounding pistol that I stupidly sold on- only to replace a few tears ago for old times sake! Still use it for competitive shooting and with concentration it still holds it's own
    Model 10 here too! It’s great.

Also some 6s, FWB80, and 2xFAS604s. And a surprisingly good older Gamo Compact.

As long as you stay at 10M or less, the FAS is also very nice. Comparatively small, looks and feels like a “real” gun, easy to charge, very nice sights and trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Model 10 here too! It’s great.

Also some 6s, FWB80, and 2xFAS604s. And a surprisingly good older Gamo Compact.

As long as you stay at 10M or less, the FAS is also very nice. Comparatively small, looks and feels like a “real” gun, easy to charge, very nice sights and trigger.
    The FAS is quite a nice surprise. I used to shoot alongside several club members using them while I was shooting my 10. Never tried one- after all why should I try a Ford when I was shooting a Bentley? I bought a S/H one a couple of years ago... how wrong I was. Fabulous little pistol that looks and feels like a powder burner (and in fact it's built on the same chassis I believe.) Highly recommended for a person new to the sport. Mine is a keeper.

madoldlad- I see there's been many good suggestions!

All I would say is decide what you want to do- tin can mangling (always fun when you have no neighbours to worry about) or target shooting.

With the former any decent CO2 powered BB semi-auto will keep you very amused and can start a collection of fairly decent real steel replicas if that is your bag.

If target shooting then you need to decide if you want spring, CO2 or compressed air (SSP or PCP) power. I would suggest initially you start with something inherently accurate that is easy to use and relatively inexpensive. A Gamo Compact, a S/H FAS 604 or a S/H FWB 65 will be all you need- perhaps for ever (note that each pistol listed get progressively more expensive). All capable of excellent results if you do your thing!

A halfway house if you want something decently accurate, easy to use and hard hitting is my fun favourite- a Crosman 2240. If you get hooked on these don't just don't search out tuning and customising mods because you won't stop... Actually this is probably the one pistol above all I would keep if I could only have one...

Once these are mastered start looking at more challenging pistols like a HW45, Diana P5, even Webley overlevers. Calibre? Pure target pistols are only ever 177. Recoiling spring pistols can be 177 or 22. My personal choice is always 22 for these. I bought and sold a couple of 177 HW45's before trying 22, a revelation! Much smoother and forgiving hence a LOT more accurate- for me anyway.

I have had all the pistols noted in the previous posts and still own many (out of a collection of at least 40 pistols) Most of which I shoot in informal on-line competitions. There is many I would avoid like the plague but probably best I don't mention them as some have a following - you need to try as many as you can!

Thanks for the reply, some great thoughts. I’m just looking at some of the options you’ve raised I do like the idea of the FAS or Fwb both very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post

Just my thoughts.
    Thanks for the reply, can you give me some more detail.....model 10 , I aren’t sure what that refers to?

I tried the Webley Alecto, could not get on with it at all. Heavy, uncomfortable grip, the .22 does not have a silencer, the .177 does. I can only assume that the .22 is quieter in the first place. Already having PCP rifles I had the easy option to go the PCP route. Instantly smitten with the HW44, .22 , more accuracy than I need, silencer available, VERY comfortable to hold/use, more so than the Steyr LP50 I owned. I also now have a Beeman P17 , real value for money, available in .177 and .22, I have the .22. Not high on power but accurate at 10 metres, comfortable. . Open sights are best for this, because you need to grip the barrel to cock it, scope or red dot would get in the way. I bought the HW44 first, it is expensive, and very good. However , if I had bought the Beeman P17 first, which is exceptional value, and Fun, I don't think I would have bought the HW 44. Welcome to the Forum.
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango