Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haenel 28 - new find

Funnily enough I was just zeroing mine today at 10 yds.
    When I got it the leather barrel/breech seal was so compressed that the barrel was pointing up ever so slightly and shooting way too high.
    I fitted a thicker leather seal in the barrel and it bought the poi down enough for 10yds and also made a better seal.

So I finally zeroed it today and it’s quite an accurate pistol, and that trigger is really really good, especially for a pre war pistol. I don’t mind if they are a bit low on power.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    We now know that the Haenel 28 was made up until at least 1940, and it was advertised in German catalogues of that year. At present (and I stand to be corrected here) the highest reported serial number is 23,828.

Reportedly a very small batch of the Haenel 28 pistols was made by Ernst Thalman Werk in East Germany in the 1950's. ETW was the company that took over Haenel after the war. No examples of these late pistols are yet known.
    ccdjg referenced 23,828 as the highest serial number known on the Mod 28. To my knowledge, that information is still accurate as this pistol is in my collection. In my research I have found very few Model 28s that have been date stamped. I have serial #12,089 & #12,156 that are stamped "1.6.31" on the bottom of the wood grip. Believe this signifies a date of 1st June 1931. So you know that your pistol #8,130 was made prior to 1931. Unfortunately no production records have surfaced on any versions of the Haenel air pistols that would identify their year of manufacture by serial number.

Owners of Haenel Mod 50, Mod 51 & Mod 100 are fortunate that the majority of these pistols are stamped with the month & year of production on the bottom of the wood grip. My research shows the earliest stamped pistol as 5.29 and the latest as 12.38 or May-1929 & December-1938 respectively. If anyone has any of these model Haenel with earlier or later dates, I would greatly appreciate hearing about them so that I can update my records.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Funnily enough I was just zeroing mine today at 10 yds.
    When I got it the leather barrel/breech seal was so compressed that the barrel was pointing up ever so slightly and shooting way too high.
    I fitted a thicker leather seal in the barrel and it bought the poi down enough for 10yds and also made a better seal.

So I finally zeroed it today and it’s quite an accurate pistol, and that trigger is really really good, especially for a pre war pistol. I don’t mind if they are a bit low on power.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Got to get mine back out and give them a try on my new indoor range I built for winter. As I remember one of my best shooters was a .177 repeater. It would function perfectly with Crosman wadcutters. And 20 shots without loading is pretty cool.

Sadly, at 10 yards the pellet from my pistol has already hit the dirt. I don't expect power from this antique pistol, but my 5 year old has rubber sucker guns that shoot further distance.

I tried soaking the pistol seal in neat foot oil, but this has made no difference. The spring is in pretty good shape, although I suspect after 80 years its not super taught. The leather seals are black, soaked over the years in oil and grease and slightly crumbling. I think its going to have to be new seals. Airgun spares has so many options. What should I buy for the breech seal and piston seal? Also any advice on how to fit them would be much appreciated!