Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haenel 28 - new find

Haenel 28 - new find

Hi chaps.

Last week I purchased this Haenel 28. I have admired these air pistols for years and am glad to have found one.

https://imgur.com/a/XEZsGkC

Serial number is 8130. Does anyone know how this dates the pistol?

The power is very low, even for such an old pistol, and so I am thinking of putting in a new seal. Problem is... I have no idea what I'm looking at in terms of wear. Does anyone have a view on how worn the existing piston seal is?

I welcome any views on the condition of the internal parts on this pistol, and what I could do to improve the power.

Very best regards to all

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
    Hi chaps.

Last week I purchased this Haenel 28. I have admired these air pistols for years and am glad to have found one.

https://imgur.com/a/XEZsGkC

Serial number is 8130. Does anyone know how this dates the pistol?

The power is very low, even for such an old pistol, and so I am thinking of putting in a new seal. Problem is... I have no idea what I'm looking at in terms of wear. Does anyone have a view on how worn the existing piston seal is?

I welcome any views on the condition of the internal parts on this pistol, and what I could do to improve the power.

Very best regards to all

Will
    Congratulations on your Haenel Model 28 Pistol . Sadly as a design, they were not especially powerful guns. I have one and mine too is not especially powerful. They are fairly good accuracy wise. That piston washer looks pretty good to me. Have a look at the breech seal, as that is a route for the air to leak if not in good condition. The mainsprings are not very strong, however given the awkward cocking procedure, that is probably just as well. Great Build Quality, but not a powerful pistol.

Lakey

Here is some further information.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007...pellet-pistol/

Lakey

That look like a nice air pistol in great condition.
    Try giving the leather seals a soak of neatsfoot oil - this can work wonders and may be all it needs.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    That look like a nice air pistol in great condition.
    Try giving the leather seals a soak of neatsfoot oil - this can work wonders and may be all it needs.
    I agree with this. That seal doesn’t look bad to me and I would give it a good oiling before going further
    Morally flawed

Awesome condition as said just soak the seal and enjoy.

Looking at my notes, after a strip etc I got 340 fps with Hobby =/- 4fps which I thought pretty good for this small pistol. But crikey, they are awkward to cock.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Looking at my notes, after a strip etc I got 340 fps with Hobby =/- 4fps which I thought pretty good for this small pistol. But crikey, they are awkward to cock.
    Cheers, Phil
    I have to agree that the Haenal 28 and Hyscore pistols aren't the easiest to cock, but as with the Webleys, not too bad once you acquire the knack.
    I have a nice boxed example which shoots with just about the same power as my Webley Senior.

Brian

Cocking the Haenel 28

https://imgur.com/a/xPAojvk

Just to show there is a knack to cocking this pistol

Thanks everyone who commented!

My cocking technique:https://youtu.be/BEt7aj2o30k

Dating

Does anyone know how to date these pistols from the serial number stamped on the base of the grip?
    Mine has 8130 stamped

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
    Does anyone know how to date these pistols from the serial number stamped on the base of the grip?
    Mine has 8130 stamped
    Dennis Hillers, book on air pistols has them made from 1927-36. and the highest number seen at that time was 21990.

If you push the spring and piston back in by hand, with you finger pressed in the transfer port, you can tell if it’s sealing ok.

Matt

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Dennis Hillers, book on air pistols has them made from 1927-36. and the highest number seen at that time was 21990.
    We now know that the Haenel 28 was made up until at least 1940, and it was advertised in German catalogues of that year. At present (and I stand to be corrected here) the highest reported serial number is 23,828.

Reportedly a very small batch of the Haenel 28 pistols was made by Ernst Thalman Werk in East Germany in the 1950's. ETW was the company that took over Haenel after the war. No examples of these late pistols are yet known.

Just to confuse things further the first Haenels were not 28’s just Haenel Air Pistols. Flat medallions, different locking system, and no 28 on pistol. Not sure how many were made? Did they carry forward the serial numbers into the 28’s? Probably?

https://imgur.com/a/iozpHJ0