Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nylon Spring Guide For Bsa Improved Model D Query

Nylon Spring Guide For Bsa Improved Model D Query

Been tinkering with an old Bsa Improved Model D and am hoping to sleeve the 83mm long spring guide that comes out of the trigger block to an external diameter of 14mm.
    The existing metal guide that comes out of the Bsa trigger block is approx 12mm.
    Where can I get a deldrin tube and base washer to fit and will the 1mm diameter walls of the tube survive the spring action. Would I be better off using stainless and again where can I obtain a short length and base washer. I have the HW77 spring guide that could be bored out, with some patience and a hand drill
    It has a HW77 spring with very little preload, top hat and washers fitted - i had the spring and parts already. Think the 77 spring is similar to the airsporter.
    Cheers
    Last edited by silva; 12-01-2021 at 05:42 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    forget the base washer, just sleave it. it's not going to move much longtitudinally, and even if it tries, it can't go far.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thank you for the reply. The base washer was just under the spring. Don't think there'e enough piston clearance with block otherwise otherwise. Will a 1mm nylon wall hack it - I think so. Where do people buy their supplies from - or do they machine their own. Been looking at marker pen tubes
    Last edited by silva; 12-01-2021 at 05:56 PM.

Many people obtain their Delrin / nylon and other engineering plastics from places like directplasticsonline. A quick Google search should find them. You'll be able to get rod but not tube, so it would need machining. Like yourself, at 1mm thickness (and depending on the fit of the spring, of course), I'm not entirely convinced as regards the long term durability. Having said that, I've never tried, so who knows.....maybe someone has? Is the existing guide permanently fixed or could it be removed (as I fully understand any wishes to retain originality)? If it could be removed (but later re-fitted, if required), replacement guide would be so much easier......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I've just had a quick look on the 'net and, at a glance, the guide is fixed?

According to information kindly provided on the Mainspring Data Thread up above, the Titan No.15 has an ID of 12.1mm. Might this be of use? A few other Titan springs from between 12.6 and 13.1 ID, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Many thanks for the info and suppliers. Much appreciated. As you say its a fixed guide. I went for the Hw77 spring as I already had it and it was a nice fit in the piston body with the top hat, with little pre-load. Perhaps I should go for the titan spring you mention and sleeve it in the piston. The transfer port is the same size as the bore I think (5.6 mm). Has anyone experimented with reducing the transfer port. What I really would like is a none slammy 11 ish ft ib 25 yard open sighted hunting rifle, with a easy cocking stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    The transfer port is the same size as the bore I think (5.6 mm). Has anyone experimented with reducing the transfer port. What I really would like is a none slammy 11 ish ft ib 25 yard open sighted hunting rifle, with a easy cocking stroke.
    yes, sleaving the port down transforms the rifle. I went with 3.2mm IIRC. Google my thread on this forum for info...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Will have a little search for that thread, JB; should be interesting.

Silva - it'll be interesting to hear the results if you manage to source a Titan (or other) spring that fits the guide correctly. Coupled with a top hat and sleeve, should be nice. Also be interesting to hear if you did have a go at reducing the TP diameter.

Experiment! try increasing the spring guide diameter with semi rigid nylon shrinkfit tube initially. If that works, you can then think of something a little more permanent.

How long is the cylinder on your rifle please?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Will have a little search for that thread, JB; should be interesting.
    I think you may have shot the rifle in question Tone at Mick's bash in 2019.. much softer shooting than most standards, and its also had 40g or so taken off the back of the piston.

Ah yes, I think I remember that one, JB. One of the many rifles and pistols from the JB stable bearing the "excellent shooting manners hallmark".

edbear2 Guest
    The original guide is threaded but you will need to support the bore if removing, I normally use a 16mm engineering loose keyless chuck I got from a car boot, the sort that goes on a pillar drill, quite handy for some jobs, looks like this a bit;

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/power-to...SABEgKHNvD_BwE

If you are not worried about keeping it original, easy to counterbore the trigger block and do a delrin whatsit;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...7622571667325/

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 19-01-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Excellent information, Ed.

Hope you're keeping safe and well.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Excellent information, Ed.

Hope you're keeping safe and well.
    Thanks mate, and yourself I hope,

Trundling on here, was working the whole time but now off till 21st Feb due to doc getting grumpy ....I think that is the planned date of the end of this lockdown, hence spending more time on here!

Nothing to add about it all really, still seems sometimes like I am living as C.Heston in Omega Man

ATB, ED

All fine and dandy here cheers, Ed.