Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nylon Spring Guide For Bsa Improved Model D Query

Hi Thank you for the replies. Just had a check - Found the reciept -its a 24 coil HW77 Titan spring, top hat and two washers. It shoots really sweetly.
    I didn't know the spring guide was removeable - but think I will run with sleeving the guide. I'm not too much of a stickler for originality - but suspect there is a bit of risk removing the guide undamaged and suspect the gain would only be slight.
    I tried some really stiff, thick coil twin springs I had today, origin unknown....but I suspect they are NOS Knibbs ones from 20 or more years ago - great fit in piston and on guide, bit of preload but not excessive -more power, but quite slammy. Though I had run out of 5.6mm pellets.
    Definitely think reducing the transfer port is the way forward. Will get onto that when the weather picks up. I think adhesive and a tightly fitting insert would do the trick.
    I'm looking for a budget chronograph at the moment - the shooting into the telephone directory test is showing its limitations
    Last edited by silva; 21-01-2021 at 12:00 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Managed to get a chronograph......
    With a 24 coil Titan spring (no preload) and top hat and washers, it chrono'd at approx 10.10 f'lbs. Using the unknown double spring set,(probably 20 year old NOS Knibbs) it ran at just under 11f'lbs. Using original 5.6mm Eley wasps.
    Need to suss out which Titan spring it is, buy another and try it with more coils. A well mannered 11 foot pound rifle would be perfect and I will leave it alone. Otherwise will start looking at transfer port.

A modern chronograph? Eh?

But even the phone directory is a little too recent for the Model D?

Sounds like the tinkering's going nicely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Managed to get a chronograph......
    With a 24 coil Titan spring (no preload) and top hat and washers, it chrono'd at approx 10.10 f'lbs. Using the unknown double spring set,(probably 20 year old NOS Knibbs) it ran at just under 11f'lbs. Using original 5.6mm Eley wasps.
    Need to suss out which Titan spring it is, buy another and try it with more coils. A well mannered 11 foot pound rifle would be perfect and I will leave it alone. Otherwise will start looking at transfer port.
    What about trying the Titan you have with just a bit more preload?

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    What about trying the Titan you have with just a bit more preload?
    Yes could do that. But would need a few washers.....so getting new spring is probably more economic, as can try the existing spring in a 43.5” .177 rifle 😊

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    A modern chronograph? Eh?

But even the phone directory is a little too recent for the Model D?

Sounds like the tinkering's going nicely.
    Yes you right about that....need to find some suitable leather bound book to shoot into.....a pink atlas maybe ��
    Must have reached that time in life......when a chap starts thinking about getting a chronograph......

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Yes you right about that....need to find some suitable leather bound book to shoot into.....a pink atlas maybe ��
    Must have reached that time in life......when a chap starts thinking about getting a chronograph......
    Hee hee!

Re the springs, always worth another check on the Mainspring Data Thread to see if any likely candidates wink at you.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!