Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tasco tr 6-24x40

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Not really sure how any of that helps the OP?

Think I paid about £90 for mine.
    It sits on one of my AA Shamals , a lovely classic coupling.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Not really sure how any of that helps the OP?
    If a piece of fat gets flagged up on the Collector's Corner S1850M it is tracked, flagged and interceptors sent out. It will then be chewed until unrecognisable.

Job done, I'd say.

I was looking at previous watched items on that auction site and saw a proper tatty one went for £116 plus £4.10 pp

Not sure if the link will still work as the listing has ended

https://rover..com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...2F154250237655
    Last edited by Ciaran07; 19-01-2021 at 08:40 AM.

To be honest there have been a number of items on the 'auction site that shall not be named' that make stupid prices. It seems some people get in a feeding frenzy and don't use common sense.

Sometime Ruger 10-22 10 round magazines have sold second hand for more than you would pay for a new one.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Optima Moonlighter AO in nice but not perfect condition just made £117.
    Tasco TR 6-14X40 should make a tad more in similar condition.

Anything mint then even more by all accounts. Condition is everything.
    What price a scope for a mint rifle example? Getting a nice rifle is the easy bit.

Well after having it on here for £120 posted for about a week not even a sniff

I sold it on that auction site for £145 all in posted

I would of kept it if I had a rifle that it suited

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    In my youth then The scope to have was the Optima Moonlighter 3-9x45. The early ones sometimes need reparallaxing for x9 at 30m. Though they came with a BDC the BDC aren't really up to the job. Later versions came with AO but this bulked them out and the general quality wasn't that marvellous. I have kept two earlier ones even though I have stopped collecting. Just in case I start afresh; these are increasingly hard to find, the rifles are easy.
    The Optimas are in truth rather average.
    I have a 4x40 on a FWB Sport 127 with Apel mounts and to me is the perfect combo for looks and the rifles intended use. Circa 1984.

My favourite Tasco is a 4-16x40 AO with a plex. No rangefinder reticle or magnification multi animal ring. My last one I sold with a Theoben SLR 88. I missed a mint one the other year; I'd rather like another. Circa late 80's early 90's.
    A Tasco I'm keeping is a 6x40 with the Stag head. Reparallaxed to 25m its on my tuned HW95 and what might be considered just a superior FWB Sport combo. Circa 1986 to 92.

One of my favourite scopes, and longest, is the B&L 6X24X40 AO. I have one, but deciding on the right rifle. It was on a Venom 77 but even for that was on the long side. Circa 1992.
    I have a little 2-5x32 B&L on my Theoben Fenman .177 and a complete joy. That had to be reparallaxed for 25m too. Circa 1991.

AO at the old mass market level bring as many issues as they solve. Shift of POI is common when switching distances. To work as they should, they really need to be well made and stay correct. Which at this level of materials and quality control becomes more luck than much else. A few will do it, but not all. I've given up on them bar the odd exception as noted. There are less issues with side parallax scopes as found on more modern designs.

A whole host of collectable rifles really are undressed without a matching period scope. Sadly the scopes aren't as robust as the rifles. There are a lot of tatty, or even busted ones out there; very few mint.
    Much can be said about mounts. Apel and Hilver mounts are hard found. They look best on HW's, FWN Sports, Webley Omegas, BSF's, and customs. There are a few one piece that look OK. Sportsmatch can look a bit bulky.

I've let most of my stuff go, though kept the "impossible to find" choice pieces. It has been fun doing the "been there done that".

Most "budget" scopes were pretty "average" and all built a bit soft. Wire cross hairs break. OA could cause issues. Light transmission not exactly blinding, and age doesn't improve them. A very few were properly bright, or as bright as a far more expensive Leupold. Early 90s the Simmons WTC arrived and showed up how "average" the market had got. Sadly even those weren't that bright. By the time Deben took up a big chunk of the budget market then cheap optics showed how cheap they were; things just didn't get better. Later the Chinese products hit the market and at the beginning they were poor. Things are better but all the old issues are still there if buying too cheap. Its probably as hard now as it ever was to find a "good" scope as it ever was. Just too much choice and far too much "average" done. Its quite hard to do a good scope. Most annoying when you find one the manufacturer goes and messes with it.
    Modern shooting becomes more and more deliberate now. Its all about pin point accuracy and how long a shot takes to do is secondary. That puts great demands on the scopes. Its always been that the scope might well be as much as the rifle, 60 to 80% easy; even in 1985.
    Enjoyed that
    Good little read..thanks