Thread: Webley Oil Can on that site.

Webley Oil Can on that site.

I hope nobody from this forum is bidding on item 324448497988 listed as a 'rare' Webley oil can, and currently at £103.
    In my opinion it is not a genuine Webley produced item and is simply the body of a Webley reversible spout oil can with a threaded Valvespout base welded to the top and not properly finished, just look at the last two photographs on the listing.
    I would love to know which dealer he bought it from and for how much.

Good spot, I’d had bid on that, post war label on a pre war can.
    If the can hasn’t been messed with......

Quote Originally Posted by archer24 View Post
    Good spot, I’d had bid on that, post war label on a pre war can.
    If the can hasn’t been messed with......
    The label is correct for the can but the Valvespout is not.
    The reverse spout cans were transfer printed.

The oil can pictured top left is what the genuine Webley can of this era should look like. The only Valve-Spout oil can Webley made was the pre-war one pictured bottom left. There are reproduction cans of this version out there, but they have removeable spouts to allow refilling

I note there are also a couple of the Webley orange plastic oil bottles up for grabs on the same site. One starting at a reasonable £6.10 and the other is currently at a whopping £79.99! Just goes to show what a wide variation in pricing there is on internet auction sites.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 15-01-2021 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks for the heads up on the £79.99 Webley oil bottle, Brian.
    I note that is the vendors 'Buy it Now' price so I suspect he will still have it for a while yet, unless some idiot believes the nonsense he has spouted about this bottle being 'super rare'. I've got four and I suspect there are probably hundreds in the possession of other Webley collectors and dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post

Thanks for the heads up on the £79.99 Webley oil bottle, Brian.
    I note that is the vendors 'Buy it Now' price so I suspect he will still have it for a while yet,

It's been relisted many times at that price, i seem to think it's been on for at least 6 months, and, Yes, he will still have it probably in another 6 months

maybe even longer than that Mr Wombler. Been watched it for yonks for some fool to buy it but it isnt happening..

I see on that auction site there's also this Mk2 Target box, and nobody has offered the £100 starting price. I can't think why?

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I see on that auction site there's also this Mk2 Target box, and nobody has offered the £100 starting price. I can't think why?

Hi Danny,

You know how flaming fussy some collectors can be.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I did see that Danny and have to say I think he's being a bit ambitious, even if it is one of the hardest boxes to get hold of. I would have thought half the current asking price would be about right for that box in that condition.
    In my early days of collecting I knew an auctioneer who would let me know if anything Webley was coming up for auction, and one day he rang me to say there was a boxed Webley pistol coming up in a local household sale. He knew no more about it so I asked him to bid up to £50, which he did and won it. When he turned up at my place with said boxed pistol, I found it was an almost pristine boxed Mk.11 Target.
    I've never seen a box or Mk.11 Target like it since, and I've bought and sold several boxed examples, and when a well known collector/dealer was visiting, he saw it in my cabinet and asked me how much I wanted for it. I quoted a ludicrous figure as I had no intention of selling it at that time and to my amazement, he agreed. This same collector told me he often found airgun bargains in local general household sales. I've never been to a sale myself, or even a boot sale, where I believe many a bargain has been found.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 15-01-2021 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Correction to information.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    That box looks so far gone, personally I cannot see how anyone would be proud to have that in their collection ....but then maybe I'm just too fussy .

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I did see that Danny and have to say I think he's being a bit ambitious, even if it is one of the hardest boxes to get hold of. I would have thought half the current asking price would be about right for that box in that condition.
    In my early days of collecting I knew an auctioneer who would let me know if anything Webley was coming up for auction, and one day he rang me to say there was a boxed Webley pistol coming up in a local household sale. He knew no more about it so I asked him to bid up to £50, which he did and won it. When he turned up at my place with said boxed pistol, I found it was an almost pristine boxed Mk.11 Target.
    I've never seen a box or Mk.11 Target like it since, and I've bought and sold several boxed examples, and when a well known collector/dealer was visiting, he saw it in my cabinet and asked me how much I wanted for it. I quoted a ludicrous figure as I had no intention of selling it at that time and to my amazement, he agreed. This same collector told me he often found airgun bargains in local general household sales. I've never been to a sale myself, or even a boot sale, where I believe many a bargain has been found.
    At a quick recollection, My boxed BSA Juvenile was from a general sale near Derby, just one other bidder on the phone otherwise I would have paid the opening price (£50 or so), My very crisp Model B was from the Malvern Flea, had walked round once, then saw a late comer piling piles of old stuff on a bench, could have had several gems but the B stood out. I once got a IMD sporting AND a late standard for £70 at Hereford in a household sale, Mk1 Airsporter for £30 and Model 50 match for £30 at the same car boot.

At another car boot I saw an old range box festooned with Eley and the like stickers, There was a 10X jacket and glove and a spotting scope / stand......the guy wanted £100 for the Parker Scope and stand which was very fair as mint, but my attention was drawn to a pile of tobacco tins nearby, as one had "GEHMANN" written on it....I opened the tin, foresight / diopter and elements!.....Quickly collected the rest and asked how much, the guy looked briefly at the contents and said .£2 each!!!!

I came home with 8 tins full to the brim of Parker Hale / other makes 1940's-1960's sights / apertures / eye pieces you name it, one of my best days, also got 2 PH .22 rimfire wooden range boxes for £1 each, shame to see someones stuff dispersed like that, but it all found good new homes over the next few months.

Other good one was a sale in Birmingham where I got the glass cased engraved light pattern on the opening bit.......in my fevered inagination every older guy in the room was a collector, but no interest at all apert from me, opening bid price again.

I won't even bore you with the pellets tins and emphemera

I normally avoid militaria and gun sales as the "names" are their with deep pockets, unless there was something I HAD to have.

Another tip...get friendly with local house clearance guys....that's where the real sleepers are to be found!

ATB, ED
    Last edited by edbear2; 16-01-2021 at 10:01 AM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    At a quick recollection, My boxed BSA Juvenile was from a general sale near Derby, just one other bidder on the phone otherwise I would have paid the opening price (£50 or so), My very crisp Model B was from the Malvern Flea, had walked round once, then saw a late comer piling piles of old stuff on a bench, could have had several gems but the B stood out. I once got a IMD sporting AND a late standard for £70 at Hereford in a household sale, Mk1 Airsporter for £30 and Model 50 match for £30 at the same car boot.

At another car boot I saw an old range box festooned with Eley and the like stickers, There was a 10X jacket and glove and a spotting scope / stand......the guy wanted £100 for the Parker Scope and stand which was very fair as mint, but my attention was drawn to a pile of tobacco tins nearby, as one had "GEHMANN" written on it....I opened the tin, foresight / diopter and elements!.....Quickly collected the rest and asked how much, the guy looked briefly at the contents and said .£2 each!!!!

I came home with 8 tins full to the brim of Parker Hale / other makes 1940's-1960's sights / apertures / eye pieces you name it, one of my best days, also got 2 PH .22 rimfire wooden range boxes for £1 each, shame to see someones stuff dispersed like that, but it all found good new homes over the next few months.

Other good one was a sale in Birmingham where I got the glass cased engraved light pattern on the opening bit.......in my fevered inagination every older guy in the room was a collector, but no interest at all apert from me, opening bid price again.

I won't even bore you with the pellets tins and emphemera

I normally avoid militaria and gun sales as the "names" are their with deep pockets, unless there was something I HAD to have.

Another tip...get friendly with local house clearance guys....that's where the real sleepers are to be found!

ATB, ED
    You sir, are a jammy bugger....

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,

You know how flaming fussy some collectors can be.

Brian

Nothing worse than a tatty box....

its always good to se a box in good condition