Thread: Tell 3 pistol enigma

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Looks to be the same pistol but refinished since sold at the same auction earlier in 2020.

Quite interesting - the Stroud 6-1/3 does look to be the same gun shown by Buck25: check the ding in left side of front sight, position of pivot and lock-screw slots, apparent repaint on left grip emblem. Someone got a bargain in Sweden, now cashing in!

To me the caliber stamp looks real, though typical marking is:
    Kal. 4 1/2 mm
    cal. .177
    So why would they get lazy on the odd gun(s) - possibly a factory worker's personal dart-shooter?

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post

So why would they get lazy on the odd gun(s) - possibly a factory worker's personal dart-shooter?

Don R.
    Or a wartime attempt to use it when the common sizes were in short supply. anything would have been of use when cats and rats were the only meat available (Overworked draught horses excepted)

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Or a wartime attempt to use it when the common sizes were in short supply. anything would have been of use when cats and rats were the only meat available (Overworked draught horses excepted)
    That would be a plausible possibility if it was a single one-off large calibre pistol. But two at once?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Danny, as noted in my reply #21 above, check the pictured details for the Stroud and Swedish auction guns and see if you think they're not the same item:

"Quite interesting - the Stroud 6-1/3 does look to be the same gun shown by Buck25: check the ding in left side of front sight, position of pivot and lock-screw slots, apparent repaint on left grip emblem. Someone got a bargain in Sweden, now cashing in!"

As to the other Stroud 6 mm gun, the stamping looks questionable to me but it's JMO.

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Danny, as noted in my reply #21 above, check the pictured details for the Stroud and Swedish auction guns and see if you think they're not the same item:

Don R.
    I'm sure you're right about this Don.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I'm sure you're right about this Don.
    So maybe it's only the 6mm pistol that's recent? Otherwise the chances of finding both large calibre pistols seem extremely remote.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery