Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Why is the HW95 so bouncy??

Just dipping into this thread two weeks later as I was hoping to find a categorical answer on the devilish 95, and suggestions for a definitive combination of barrel type (length, 310 or 410, and weight courtesy of either mods or shroud), internal set up, ideal weight of scope for balance, and maybe even stock type, to yield optimal results for handling and accuracy.

And whilst I'm here, can I have a moon on a stick please? Just pop it next to the answer to what cal best suits the 95? Thanks awfully.

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    Just dipping into this thread two weeks later as I was hoping to find a categorical answer on the devilish 95, and suggestions for a definitive combination of barrel type (length, 310 or 410, and weight courtesy of either mods or shroud), internal set up, ideal weight of scope for balance, and maybe even stock type, to yield optimal results for handling
    And whilst I'm here, can I have a moon on a stick please? Just pop it next to the answer to what cal best suits the 95? Thanks awfully.
    Morning TRS1, unfortunately I only have the one barrel and stock to try so had to try and make the most of what I had, mines a 177 screw cut btw. Whether its the best combo for the 95 or not who knows though many say they shot better with the original barrel weight version which I believe was also longer. I think the fact that HW offered it in this guise may tell a story. The scope fitted to mine is an Airmax 3-9x40 which whilst not light is far from the heaviest. I'll have to shoot it again to remind myself of exactly how it behaves but I would say it still bounces around a bit however I can get it to group very nicely now, there's so pics in the thread that show what I managed. I got a few moons on sticks if you want some too!😁
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Had a few shots with the 95 tonight after not having touched it since doing this thread. Its still bouncy, accurate but bouncy! I think it must be to do with the t.p. In contrast I was shooting my Diana 280 the other day and I was struck by how steady it was during firing.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hw95

Back in the Venomac days the guys did a steel silencer come shroud for the 95 called the V1 silencer. Looks alot like a 98 shroud but more stylish and effective. Overall length is 13.5 inch from the breech. This mod and of course the tune sorts the problem. Mach 1.5

Mine has never been Bouncy But its the one with the muzzle weight
    Made a Delrin top hat and fitted a sandwell spring ! Really smooth gun

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Had a few shots with the 95 tonight after not having touched it since doing this thread. Its still bouncy, accurate but bouncy! I think it must be to do with the t.p. In contrast I was shooting my Diana 280 the other day and I was struck by how steady it was during firing.
    I can only speak from experience of shooting two older 85s which are not exactly the same gun as a 95 but close to. I've not shot either enough to make meaningful comparisons. Personally I didn't find the standard 85K I have that shabby, but my 280k does make it feel a little pedestrian.
    The 99 may be a better choice for those who can't get along with a 95 and want a HW. I've also got one of them and it's pretty sweet I have to say.
    Sometimes we can get bogged down in how a gun shoots. They all have their characteristics even between identical models. As long as you can shoot accurately with your chosen gun I think you have to arrive at a place where you accept it's peculiarities.
    Clearly however, some guns do lend themselves to being easier to master than others.
    On a complete tangent to the 95 Im finding it very difficult presently to hunt the local greys with anything other than a Diana Airking. Lazer accurate. Though I did journey into the pleasantly accurate realms of a Diana 430L recently.
    Dave

I had my mk2 85K out last week and quite enjoyed it. It goes about its business in a slightly ungainly way allround but I got good accurscy from it. I think standing/ kneeling offhand shots and seated shots with the forend held in a raised hand are its forte.

Anything involving a bench/ bag rest or the forend resting on your forearm or in your hand rested on knee doesn't work so well for me. Its flippy nature is then accentuated.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I can only speak from experience of shooting two older 85s which are not exactly the same gun as a 95 but close to. I've not shot either enough to make meaningful comparisons. Personally I didn't find the standard 85K I have that shabby, but my 280k does make it feel a little pedestrian.
    The 99 may be a better choice for those who can't get along with a 95 and want a HW. I've also got one of them and it's pretty sweet I have to say.
    Sometimes we can get bogged down in how a gun shoots. They all have their characteristics even between identical models. As long as you can shoot accurately with your chosen gun I think you have to arrive at a place where you accept it's peculiarities.
    Clearly however, some guns do lend themselves to being easier to master than others.
    On a complete tangent to the 95 Im finding it very difficult presently to hunt the local greys with anything other than a Diana Airking. Lazer accurate. Though I did journey into the pleasantly accurate realms of a Diana 430L recently.
    Dave
    Very nice post, sir.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Mine has never been Bouncy But its the one with the muzzle weight
    Made a Delrin top hat and fitted a sandwell spring ! Really smooth gun
    Hi Mally, mine is the screw cut version in 177 but I have fitted a steel V-Mach silencer. Probably needs the full shroud to cure it.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi Mally, mine is the screw cut version in 177 but I have fitted a steel V-Mach silencer. Probably needs the full shroud to cure it.
    Funny really I would have thought the weight to be no heavier than a silencer and so they would be similar in reaction My hw 85 has a 20" barrel and that does tend to lift a bit on firing

Think I’ve said these before, but this is an epic thread.

I don’t think it’s quite good enough to say the 85/95 is awesome, but only if you hang an extra half-pound of weight on the front. That isn’t the case with most apparently similar break-barrels.

And I still don’t think anyone has nailed why the 85/95 has that peculiar hold sensitivity, given that its cylinder diameter, piston stroke, swept volume, piston weight, TP dimensions etc are well within the norm for springers of its kind.

I’m beginning to wonder whether it isn’t actually that “bouncy”, but is owned by a lot of the kind of us who love analysing and discussing the finer points of our rifles, and that if we all owned [insert name of other mid-weight break barrel] instead we’d be discussing how “bouncy” that one is. Maybe.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    just shorten the stroke and get on with shooting the thing
    It makes it far better at 12Fp and costs pennies.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    just shorten the stroke and get on with shooting the thing
    It makes it far better at 12Fp and costs pennies.
    Its got a 12mm nose extension on it already, still not great imo.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    And I still don’t think anyone has nailed why the 85/95 has that peculiar hold sensitivity, given that its cylinder diameter, piston stroke, swept volume, piston weight, TP dimensions etc are well within the norm for springers of its kind.

I’m beginning to wonder whether it isn’t actually that “bouncy”, but is owned by a lot of the kind of us who love analysing and discussing the finer points of our rifles, and that if we all owned [insert name of other mid-weight break barrel] instead we’d be discussing how “bouncy” that one is. Maybe.
    HW99/50s: Snappy
    HW95: Bouncy
    HW77/97: Just right

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

I ran my HW97k with an 8mm short stroke and it was lovely at 10.5ft/lb. I have removed the short stroke and fitted a longer spring and it is now lovely at 15 ft/lb

I ran my mk1 full length HW95 with a 12mm short stroke and it was lovely at 11 ft/lb. I have removed the short stroke and fitted a longer spring and it is now lovely at just over 15 ft/lb

I ran an HW80 for years with a 15mm short stroke and it was lovely at sub 12 ft/lb. I now run it with a longer, but not full length spring and no short stroke and it is lovely at 19 ft/lb.

Spring air guns have a "Happy Place", if you can't legally run them there you have to find a way of fooling them into thinking they are.

[IMG][/IMG]