Well, seeing as how many people really like the 99's firing cycle......same bore. According to Bruce's excellent thread on bore / stroke / TP etc., the 95 has a 14mm longer stroke and a piston approximately 30 grams heavier. The transfer ports are also very similarly sized. So, theoretically, reducing the weight of the piston by an ounce or so and lopping half an inch off the stroke should result in a similar prescription.

I think the cylinder on the 95 is a good bit longer. I'd have to free a couple of rifles from the cabinet in order to compare the dimensions. So, more spring space in the 95. But, maybe more crucially, what does this do to the weight distribution / balance? Many have commented in the past about the weird "long" feeling of the handling of the old school 85. Also, wacky as it sounds, maybe worth trying a 99 spring in the 95 but with a spacer behind? Less active coils would often be frowned upon, I know, but I said it was a bit wacky! Worth a looky or total non-starter?

And another wacky one.......could different users' different perceptions of the feel of the cycle actually come down to piston seal sizing too?