Thread: Why is the HW95 so bouncy??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I can't really add much to this thread since though I've got an early 85 Luxus and a custom version I haven't spent any length of time shooting either in order to make comparisons with the 34/38 I have.
    The 34 is a very capable gun I know that from my own personal experience. On paper at least having a smaller cross section and lighter (?) Piston the 95 should be the better gun. Should being operative word. Clearly design, weight and overall balance of whole gun comes into things when judging a guns handling characteristics as does it's state of tune and ME.
    The 34 is no slouch and it doesn't really suprise me that maximus has viewed it favourably compared to his 95.
    It's an interesting comparison as I think nowadays both guns fill the same spot within their respective manufacturers range in light of the other guns within those ranges.
    Dave

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I can't really add much to this thread since though I've got an early 85 Luxus and a custom version I haven't spent any length of time shooting either in order to make comparisons with the 34/38 I have.
    The 34 is a very capable gun I know that from my own personal experience. On paper at least having a smaller cross section and lighter (?) Piston the 95 should be the better gun. Should being operative word. Clearly design, weight and overall balance of whole gun comes into things when judging a guns handling characteristics as does it's state of tune and ME.
    The 34 is no slouch and it doesn't really suprise me that maximus has viewed it favourably compared to his 95.
    It's an interesting comparison as I think nowadays both guns fill the same spot within their respective manufacturers range in light of the other guns within those ranges.
    Dave
    I agree Dave the 95 and the 34 are a interesting comparison but you don't see many custom 34's and that gives the 95 a advantage

Fully agree Barry. Very pertinent point that.

But damn I wish you hadn't posted those custom pics there. Awww man!!!!!
    Dave

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    you've short stroked it, which is a massive improvement, so the port shoudl be fine at the new, reduced volume.

Just add a steel mod, and it'll be fine.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    you've short stroked it, which is a massive improvement, so the port shoudl be fine at the new, reduced volume.

Just add a steel mod, and it'll be fine.

Hi John, its got a vmach steel mod already and still too much bounce for me to be happy with it. Checked the t.p. and its approx 3 mm so as you sa should be ample especially with the short stroke. Its in a cs500 with an airmax 3-9*40 on board so maybe the balance point is further back causing the front to flip about more
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi John, its got a vmach steel mod already and still too much bounce for me to be happy with it. Checked the t.p. and its approx 3 mm so as you sa should be ample especially with the short stroke. Its in a cs500 with an airmax 3-9*40 on board so maybe the balance point is further back causing the front to flip about more
    Muzzle flip is not the problem. Consistent hold and pressure is.
    The rifle goes through the same cycle every shot, the only inconsistency is the shooter.

I have a 95 in .22 I have short stroked and fitted a 98 barrel to combat its liveliness and it’s really nice to shoot, but it is really not at all forgiving of changes of grip pressure, etc.

In a nutshell - practice, practice. If you struggle, a heavier rifle may be the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    Muzzle flip is not the problem. Consistent hold and pressure is.
    The rifle goes through the same cycle every shot, the only inconsistency is the shooter.

In a nutshell - practice, practice.
    Yes, this.

The technique I concluded suited the 95 and me the best (well, just about any springer, to be honest) is, unlike some advice I've seen where the supporting hand is near the balance point, to have my leading hand right at the front of the stock, giving the rifle a "long and flat cradle" to move backwards and forwards on. When I managed to visit an indoor club in the past for zeroing / pellet testing purposes I'd also have the very front of the stock on the bag (more often than not my patented "Tigger Boinger rest"), left hand under the butt (I'm right handed) and the very lightest of touches on the pistol grip. At 34 yards indoors the .177 was shooting minutely tight little clusters.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Had a .22 lazaglided HW98 years ago. Didnt like the way it fired. My .22 Tomahawk also lazaglided was FAR smoother. And these are already quite lively cause lightweight.
    But the HW98 kept leeping from the shoulder. Contacted Steve Pope; he said that it probably ran too low on power (it was a 12Ftp)for best smoothness. They usually are smoother to shoot slightly over 12Ftp (13Ftp or something). I later shot a tuned FAC HW98 (ok Maccari kit but still) but that indeed was much smoother to shoot than my 12Ftp so Steve was probably right.
    Sold it in the end.
    Low power doesnt always means smoother. I have 7.5J Dianas that shoot as 'rough'as a 12FTp
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Had a .22 lazaglided HW98 years ago. Didnt like the way it fired. My .22 Tomahawk also lazaglided was FAR smoother. And these are already quite lively cause lightweight.
    But the HW98 kept leeping from the shoulder. Contacted Steve Pope; he said that it probably ran too low on power (it was a 12Ftp)for best smoothness. They usually are smoother to shoot slightly over 12Ftp (13Ftp or something). I later shot a tuned FAC HW98 (ok Maccari kit but still) but that indeed was much smoother to shoot than my 12Ftp so Steve was probably right.
    Sold it in the end.
    Low power doesnt always means smoother. I have 7.5J Dianas that shoot as 'rough'as a 12FTp
    I bought a secondhand 95 short barrel with Hw mod many years ago, I took it over the farm and thought perhaps .22 is not as slow a cal as I had thought, used for a few hunting sessions then put it over the chrony it was pushing 13ft lbs but with no muzzle flip, cut a long story short the 95 ended up at around 11.2 ft lbs and was then quickly sold on.
    Hw77+7

my 22 i recently sold on here was spot on