Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the HW95 so bouncy??

HW95L & Hawke AIRMAX 30 SF COMPACT 4-16x44

Reinstalled the Hawke scope using Hawke Tactical 30mm 2 piece rings and was able to shoot 1"/1.5" groups at 25 yards. The 95 is stock with no tuning yet & has plenty of power to take the occasional tree rat or crow. The rifle is a .22 and seems to shoot the H&N FTT 14.66 gr pellets best. The Hawke has 6 settings for the IR which is nice for a sunny day.

Lovely picture.

As we previously discussed sir, my two 95s' in both the "main" calibres favourite diet is the H&N Field Target Trophy. Neither of them are pellet fussy and they do shoot most pellets very accurately, but the FTTs slightly shade all others. The Baracuda FT is well liked by the .177, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I hope the chrono's going to be okay.

What power / preload did you settle on? If there's safe wriggle room, a little extra preload will, hopefully, take care of the buzz with the 8.4s. But then if it's okay with the lighter ones, maybe just stick with them? How many shots has the clean barrel had through it?
    Hi Tony, haven't measured the current pre load but I would guess about 25mm. It was 32 prior to chopping the spring down but added 4mm of spacers to bring it back to 11ish. Unfortunately the jsb rs didn't group half as well as the exacts which were pretty good most of the time. Storms up here for next 2 days so won't be firteling
    much.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Has anyone who is having difficulty with there HW95 tried solving it with a setback trigger? If so did it help?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I must admit I have read this thread with interest, but some incredulity as the HW95 I have is very good. In .177" it came to me having had some Tony Wall treatment at SFS and to be honest, after firing it I never bothered to open it up - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's a tack driver, as I would say it was on par with my Impact RM100 out to 75yards (is the bucket 75 or 73yds?). No flip, just a neat recoil. It sounds silly, but it doesn't get used much as it's so straightforward on my home targets, so tonight I broke it out of the cabinet to just check on it's performance before I wrote this. I also have two 95 'clones' and tbh, they are both great rifles, with internals and barrels mimicking the HW (the one clone even has a HW .177" barrel fitted). The only thing I would add is that each carries a steel silencer, so maybe that's a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi Tony, haven't measured the current pre load but I would guess about 25mm. It was 32 prior to chopping the spring down but added 4mm of spacers to bring it back to 11ish. Unfortunately the jsb rs didn't group half as well as the exacts which were pretty good most of the time. Storms up here for next 2 days so won't be firteling
    much.
    Understood re the RS. But I think it might be worth trying the Express version (at a quoted 7.87 grains). They may eradicate that buzz but prove more accurate than the 7.3s?

A bit of an extreme comparison but I have a couple of underlever. 177s which aren't very nice at all with the (high start pressure) Superdomes. Nicer with the 8.44 AAF but noticeably better with the Express.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I must admit I have read this thread with interest, but some incredulity as the HW95 I have is very good. In .177" it came to me having had some Tony Wall treatment at SFS and to be honest, after firing it I never bothered to open it up - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's a tack driver, as I would say it was on par with my Impact RM100 out to 75yards (is the bucket 75 or 73yds?). No flip, just a neat recoil. It sounds silly, but it doesn't get used much as it's so straightforward on my home targets, so tonight I broke it out of the cabinet to just check on it's performance before I wrote this. I also have two 95 'clones' and tbh, they are both great rifles, with internals and barrels mimicking the HW (the one clone even has a HW .177" barrel fitted). The only thing I would add is that each carries a steel silencer, so maybe that's a factor.
    Good man; another believer.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    much.
    If the chrono ends up being okay, subject to power being kept safely under with the rifle's most efficient pellet, adding a little more preload should help. Once the weather allows and with a little more barrel conditioning time, I bet you'll be fine. If it ends up not behaving in exemplary fashion with the JSBs, do give the FTTs a try.

The latest model of the 95 seems to have significantly less recoil.

https://youtu.be/RiJtRTn2wgo

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post

Probably because it's not the carbine version

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post

Now, if I could get a barrel extension thingy like that it may just tame the muzzle flip!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post

Hi Capitalbee, I guess its still on a standard stroke, has thet.p. been altered? Mine is stock at approx 3mm.

Thanks Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    If the chrono ends up being okay, subject to power being kept safely under with the rifle's most efficient pellet, adding a little more preload should help. Once the weather allows and with a little more barrel conditioning time, I bet you'll be fine. If it ends up not behaving in exemplary fashion with the JSBs, do give the FTTs a try.
    Hi Tony, I think I will try some 7.9 grain next. With the previous spring setting at 11.6 ftlbs the 7.9 didn't cause spring twang and shot reasonably accurately. I think the twang is probably caused by increased surge using the heavier pellet. I have tried FTT before but not great accuracy and the M.E. drops quite a bit too. They are heavy and tight in the barrel.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I have a Hw98 and it was hold sensative for me.
    Even with the v-glide tune.
    Only after putting a softer spring and a 12mm stroke reduction in it, is the gun more enjoyable to use.
    Les..

I've got a full length barrelled 85 in .25, and it doesn't appear as bad as some on here. It's running a standard set of internals, but it think the longer barrel is a help.