Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
And now it's shooting smoothly and accurately, so all's good.

To be fair, most springer shooters will judge a springer's firing cycle bass on perceived feel.....and we're all different. To my mind, if it's not twanging and crashing and harsh and as long as it's accurate, me happy.

Before Jim started getting more "digital" with his measuring equipment in his fine articles, he used a pencil taped to the action of the recoiling gun (the pencil obviously able to contact with paper) to measure recoil and surge. Once you know the weight of the internals as compared to the all-up weight of the gun, much could be learned as to what was happening inside the cylinder. Not exact as what he can do now, but eye-opening nonetheless.
Nowhere near as technical as the pencil method, I've always judged a springer by how far the reticle moves off target in relation to the shot cycle, contrary to what many people think, a fast action springer is better for accuracy than a soft sedate actioned rifle, if you shoot a rifle at it's designed power level this becomes self apparent.