Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the HW95 so bouncy??

Well, I've spent all afternoon buggering about with mine again! Tried every jsb variant i have, which is a lot, and the best accuracy was with the 7.9 but this was not all that I had hoped for. So onto the other brands, first up ftt, power dropped from 11 to 10.6 probably dueto how tight they were in the breech which caused bounce and made it twang like a good 'un. Accuracy was great though which was a bit heartening. Next up rws superfield, again great Accuracy power 10.7. I decided then to add 3 steel washers into the piston to hopefully counteract the bounce and kill the twang. This pushed the power up to 11.1with ftt and did mute the buzz but whilst still accurate not quite as good and ruined the accuracy with the superfield. It was doing 11.6 with FAP, so still legal. Now I have decided to try another spring which has about 50-60 mm preload. Can't chrono now as its gone dark but had a few shots to see how it shot. Big spring twang on a std hw guide which is a tightish fit so ill chrono tomorrow and see how i go. I may just go back to the set up that shot the superfield well, clean the barrel and give it a good try.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Sorry Tony somehow I missed your earlier post.

It's funny how the longer barrel of the HW85 is not favoured yet on the "trendy" carbine everyone wants more weight at the muzzle! I am hoping my "uncool" long .22" barrel makes my one shoot sweeter.

Rich.
    No worries re missing that post, Rich; so easily done on such a long, on-going thread such as this.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Well, I've spent all afternoon buggering about with mine again! Tried every jsb variant i have, which is a lot, and the best accuracy was with the 7.9 but this was not all that I had hoped for. So onto the other brands, first up ftt, power dropped from 11 to 10.6 probably dueto how tight they were in the breech which caused bounce and made it twang like a good 'un. Accuracy was great though which was a bit heartening. Next up rws superfield, again great Accuracy power 10.7. I decided then to add 3 steel washers into the piston to hopefully counteract the bounce and kill the twang. This pushed the power up to 11.1with ftt and did mute the buzz but whilst still accurate not quite as good and ruined the accuracy with the superfield. It was doing 11.6 with FAP, so still legal. Now I have decided to try another spring which has about 50-60 mm preload. Can't chrono now as its gone dark but had a few shots to see how it shot. Big spring twang on a std hw guide which is a tightish fit so ill chrono tomorrow and see how i go. I may just go back to the set up that shot the superfield well, clean the barrel and give it a good try.
    Showing promise then, Max. As said before, mine does love the FTTs. I've never tried the Superfield. Keep on keeping on.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Showing promise then, Max. As said before, mine does love the FTTs. I've never tried the Superfield. Keep on keeping on.
    Hi Tony, forgot to mention that I also tried boxed premiers which grouped well and again a tight fit in the barrel. It seems my barrel doesn't like pellets from JSB.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Just snuck out to try the 95 with the boingy standard spring from SWS. Chrono'd at 777 with aa field and 843 with FAP so 11.2 and 11.5 respectively. Thought I might as well try a few groups with it, photo attached. These are with AA field at approx 25 yards standing supported which is my favourite position on my home range. Massive difference between this and the old spring, very happy with it, just have to kill the twang now....

http://imgur.com/gallery/IFrx0hy
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hi Tony, forgot to mention that I also tried boxed premiers which grouped well and again a tight fit in the barrel. It seems my barrel doesn't like pellets from JSB.
    My .177's favourites for accuracy, as previously mentioned, are the FTT, Baracuda FT and boxed Prems. Exact Heavy did seem very good at a windy Quigley Hollow once. Superfields not tested.

Just snuck out to try the 95 with the boingy standard spring from SWS. Chrono'd at 777 with aa field and 843 with FAP so 11.2 and 11.5 respectively. Thought I might as well try a few groups with it, photo attached. These are with AA field at approx 25 yards standing supported which is my favourite position on my home range. Massive difference between this and the old spring, very happy with it, just have to kill the twang now....

http://imgur.com/gallery/IFrx0hy
    YAY!

Now you're getting there; well done

So a de-twang to make it feel more refined now.

And, although your standing supported position may be your favourite, I bet you could tighten that grouping up even further in a sitting, semi-FT stylee position?

The other thing (and I know you're experienced so I don't want to teach you to suck eggs) is, now that the confidence has started to build......TRUST IN YOUR RIFLE. Have positive thoughts. Relax. KNOW that you can do it. Love and caress that rifle and it will repay your trust in bucketloads.. That new found confidence and utter trust will reap rewards.

Again, well done. Good man for not giving up and sticking with it. Let the love affair begin.

It just shows what a difference a spring can make. My only concern is that it is a snug fit on the guide already so I might struggle to kill the boing. I guess with all the pre-load it causes the spring to expand of the guide giving room for vibration. Time to take it apart again, no hardship once you learn that those tile thingys are not necessary.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Inbox cleared.

Just made a piston liner from a milk container, squared up the spring ends, relubed and reassembled. Twang gone and a lovely shot cycle. This setup has 50mm pre-load with the short stroke kit and the SWS spring. When it stops snowing I'll shoot some groups to make sure accuracy is retained after the strip down. Fingers crossed, but a happy bunny for now
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Excellent stuff.

Top work and Great perseverance- I would have traded it in by now! Haha

They’re a tricky rifle to master so great work!

I have a .22 98 which is stunning, bought secondhand but when I put her over the chrono she had little preload and was hot. Went for a short stroke which tamed the power and kept some preload. Shoots well now but may have to snip half a coil to make sure.

Oddly hades 11.9 but jab RS only 10 Ftlb........

Nice idea with the milk bottle top sleeve!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Just made a piston liner from a milk container, squared up the spring ends, relubed and reassembled. Twang gone and a lovely shot cycle. This setup has 50mm pre-load with the short stroke kit and the SWS spring. When it stops snowing I'll shoot some groups to make sure accuracy is retained after the strip down. Fingers crossed, but a happy bunny for now
    It is amazing what a plastic piston sleeve can do, it transformed my 80

Can you tell me if you have the old or new type cocking shoe and do 95's have a steel sleeve as standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    It is amazing what a plastic piston sleeve can do, it transformed my 80

Can you tell me if you have the old or new type cocking shoe and do 95's have a steel sleeve as standard?

Hi Barry, I think I bought mine in 07 and it does have the old type cocking shoe and a steel liner. With the new shoe the liner could be removed and replaced with plastic. The milk container liner is so thin it needs the steel to back it up.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Just done some more pellet testing, this time at 30 meters, I have settled on JSB 8.4, 4.52, pic of my best group, lower hole is the aim point, not part of the group. This is about as good as I can do. Very pleased with the 95 now, this spring has transformed it, completely changing its preferred pellets.

http://imgur.com/gallery/rHV8HEq
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Good man. And some excellent shooting there, my friend.

Now just enjoy.