Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Why is the HW95 so bouncy??

"It just pushes backwards slightly and with no discernible muzzle flip"

Yes, this sums up the difference in recoil characteristics between the 95 and the 34 perfectly. I wouldn't be surprised if the 34 recoiled more but it does feel more manageable. Glad you're all enjoying the thread
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Its not a like for like comparison as the 38 is the usual full length barrel in .177 and the 85 is in .22 with a carbined berrel wirh open sights.
    Putting accuracy aside for the moment, the 38 shoots so sweetly with very mild manners and totally linear rearward recoil. It just pushes backwards slightly and with no discernible muzzle flip. The 85 doesn't just lift at the muzzle- the rifle recoils rearwards and upwards along its fulll length.
    The 85 is fitted with a Hawke Vantage 3-9×40 that it came with and the 2 piece Sportmatch mounts are very stable.
    The 38 wore a Diana diopter sight until Friday aftenoon when I put an old Tasco 1.75-5x40 on it. Interesting how a scope alters the balance and affects recoil characteristics.
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    "It just pushes backwards slightly and with no discernible muzzle flip"

Yes, this sums up the difference in recoil characteristics between the 95 and the 34 perfectly. I wouldn't be surprised if the 34 recoiled more but it does feel more manageable. Glad you're all enjoying the thread
    Wondering how different Drew might find the 85's recoil characteristics if the scope was removed, altering the balance and weight distribution. The longer barrel on the Diana must certainly help in this regard, also?

Does the 38's action-into-stock set-up feel like the 280s that I've tried, ie feeling very "low set" into the stock giving a flatter feel?

Guessing these are all 28mm actions, making those firing manners all the more impressive.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Excellent results, Mr Max.

Just a thought for the longer term re springs for the 80 - if you were to have a look on the Mainspring Data Thread, maybe a 77 spring, one for the various 25mm Gamo models (like the Whisper / Varmint), or one of the thinner wired Titans may do the trick?
    Hi Tony, yes, i think a 77 / 97 std spring would be a good bet. Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Wondering how different Drew might find the 85's recoil characteristics if the scope was removed, altering the balance and weight distribution. The longer barrel on the Diana must certainly help in this regard, also?

Does the 38's action-into-stock set-up feel like the 280s that I've tried, ie feeling very "low set" into the stock giving a flatter feel?

Guessing these are all 28mm actions, making those firing manners all the more impressive.
    Im not at all sure, Tony, but this 38 started off with its open sights and it shot best that way. The 85 has worn its 40mm scope all tbe way through and i scoped the 38 similarly for the session.
    The full length barrel on the 38 definitely helps its sweet shooting characteristics. And I feel its not its weight but rather its effective longer exhaust thats key.
    This 38 is the the one with the longer, deeper stock so its very different to the 280. Even the earliest 38s, though slimmer and shorter in stock, dont handle as well as the D280.

Evening Tony. The 85 is fitted with a Hawke Vantage 3-9×40 that it came with and the 2 piece Sportmatch mounts are very stable. . It was shooting .22 RWS Meisterkugelen that you put me onto from the Sheffield place and they are the best pellets I have shot out to 25m.
    Good to hear you're liking those Meisterkugelns, Drew. Although accurate, taking Jim's excellent works into consideration, I'd have a stab at these being a "high start pressure" pellet. I wonder if, for the sake of experimentation, it would be worth comparing the firing cycle with something like the JSB Exact RS / FAP?

Also, if you did want a play, I don't know how tight the action may still be? How many shots has it had through it? How old? I wonder if even a quick strip, check, polishing of spring ends and re-lube might help?

And thank you for the Diana information.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Evening Tony. The 85 is fitted with a Hawke Vantage 3-9×40 that it came with and the 2 piece Sportmatch mounts are very stable. . It was shooting .22 RWS Meisterkugelen that you put me onto from the Sheffield place and they are the best pellets I have shot out to 25m.
    The 38 wore a Diana diopter sight until Friday aftenoon when I put an old Tasco 1.75-5x40 on it. Interesting how a scope alters the balance and affects recoil characteristics. I put H&N FTTs through it. Typically very tight in the bore but they were great in it.

I use FAP in my 22 Diana 34 which has the 38 style stock and carbine barrel. Very accurate and a dream to shoot.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I use FAP in my 22 Diana 34 which has the 38 style stock and carbine barrel. Very accurate and a dream to shoot.
    Sounds very much like the spec on my 34s here. A later boxy stock and short 390mm factory barrel.
    This one has a top hat, short titan spring and factory guide and sized head. It's pretty sweet to shoot.
    When weather improves I hope to have my own mini head to head with it and an earlier 34 and an 85 Luxus. All shoot well but I'll need to scope all to level the field a little.
    Dave

IRRC the 34S with the boxier 38-style fore-end, carbine barrel and silencer was a special for the U.K. market.

Never had one, but always had the feeling it may be one of the nicest of the 34 range, and the best one for general pest control.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    IRRC the 34S with the boxier 38-style fore-end, carbine barrel and silencer was a special for the U.K. market.

Never had one, but always had the feeling it may be one of the nicest of the 34 range, and the best one for general pest control.
    Evening Geezer. The 34 that I suspect is closest to the gun that Maximus has (though I stand to be corrected here) is the 34s. I was using mine earlier trying to compare it to a newly tweaked early 34 mentioned in the other thread. The 34s is a fine weapon with the carbine barrel helping to get that shot gone very quickly. A firm nudge in the shoulder and it's all over. The scope doesn't move that far off the aim point at all.
    However the gun you refer to as UK only I suspect is the 34SM. These I think came with a hard case and an RWS scope and if memory serves a French made mod. I have one here I picked up in the Midlands and it has an ultra short barrel (maybe 310mm)? Mine is untouched and only producing about 8 ft llbs but I've been so impressed with these two 34 guns this last weekend I'm debating a drop in kit for the SM also. Accuracy is excellent with it by the way and you are correct the ultra carbine barrel really does lend itself to woodland and hide hunting/pest control. And incidentally the mod is remarkably effective too.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Evening Geezer. The 34 that I suspect is closest to the gun that Maximus has (though I stand to be corrected here) is the 34s. I was using mine earlier trying to compare it to a newly tweaked early 34 mentioned in the other thread. The 34s is a fine weapon with the carbine barrel helping to get that shot gone very quickly. A firm nudge in the shoulder and it's all over. The scope doesn't move that far off the aim point at all.
    However the gun you refer to as UK only I suspect is the 34SM. These I think came with a hard case and an RWS scope and if memory serves a French made mod. I have one here I picked up in the Midlands and it has an ultra short barrel (maybe 310mm)? Mine is untouched and only producing about 8 ft llbs but I've been so impressed with these two 34 guns this last weekend I'm debating a drop in kit for the SM also. Accuracy is excellent with it by the way and you are correct the ultra carbine barrel really does lend itself to woodland and hide hunting/pest control. And incidentally the mod is remarkably effective too.
    Dave
    I think you are right. The SM was later than the S (early 2000s?) with an even shorter barrel than the S, right?

I think so. Taking the 34s the date stamp on mine is poorly struck as regards to month, but in regards to year it's dated 88.
    The SM on other hand is clearly dated 02 02.
    Dave

Red face

You know, if it weren't for the fact that it could never be completed and would likely frustrate the hell out of folk, now would be the time to do the 34 evolution/variant thread!

You know, if it weren't for the fact that it could never be completed and would likely frustrate the hell out of folk, now would be the time to do the 34 evolution/variant thread!
    I think we’ve done it.

Just in bits on about three different threads...

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I think we’ve done it.

Just in bits on about three different threads...
    Thank goodness.

Similar to you my 1980 original 45 .22 loves F.A.P the best after recent testing.
    What i did find astonishing is that the 45 runs on its "original" leather piston seal and after a few tins -doesnt diesel anymore and gives an excellent dv5 sv2 over the chrono-same as my tuned hw95s!