Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the HW95 so bouncy??

Hi Alistair, I have tried all the usual suspects from my pellet selection and no real joy. Any how, this morning I could down the spring by half a coil which dropped the power from 11.6 to 10.2. Added a washer which pushed it upto 10.7 and decided to try it at that. Happy to report that accuracy is now restored and sight picture much steadier on firing.I will be leaving it at that power now, i guess 11.6 was pushing it too much for the short stroke.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Result!

A nice, sweet and accurate 10.7 beats a snappy, snarling, bouncy 11.6 anyday in my book. And maybe 11.6 was just a little too close for comfort, too?

Wished I'd picked up on the power earlier.

Enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi Alistair, I have tried all the usual suspects from my pellet selection and no real joy. Any how, this morning I could down the spring by half a coil which dropped the power from 11.6 to 10.2. Added a washer which pushed it upto 10.7 and decided to try it at that. Happy to report that accuracy is now restored and sight picture much steadier on firing.I will be leaving it at that power now, i guess 11.6 was pushing it too much for the short stroke.
    Im glad you seem to have yours under control and shooting better. I have been reading this thread with interest (there are two similar ones on the other main airgun forum currently also).
    I have nothing very helpful to add to it but for what its worth you are dead right in your opinion of the 95 in isolation and against its competitors. Even with standard stroke and internals it has a tendency to lift the muzzle significantly on firing. Hence the fact that the rifle is usually only available in conjunction with a muzzle brake, moderator and there is a variant with a bull barrel.
    Co-incidently the best one I have shot chrono'd at 10.8. It was a used example n a local dealer who had no idea what had been done to it.
    I really need tweak and likely detune my own later 85K but I know its a gun I will never truly bond with, unfortunately.

I've had my 95 since 2007, it was originally bought as a 22 and I put a cs500 and vmach kit in it straight away. It never shot how I wanted it to, even broke a reticle on my tasco world class 1.5-5×20. Anyway, in the quest to get it shooting nice its changed calibre as I thought 177 might allow more pre-load, less bounce and in the end short stroked it by 12mm. During these trials its had various springs including the v-mach, titan no. 5 and finally a HW one for a 57 (only one the gunshop had but I'm guessing the same spec as a std 95 but shorter). Anyway, as I said I'll stick with it at 10.7 for now, though 1 more washer might not hurt
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Weighed both my Sport and 95 and they come in bang on 8lbs scoped. That is lighter than all thoes HW35s, 80s, TXs.
    My 95 is far more cheek weld fussy than my Sports. My most forgiving piston system sporting rifle is my Fenman which is a smidge under 81/2lbs.

I certainly think the Sports run smoothest at around 10ft/lbs, 91/2 even. Well 124's do. It might really just be getting to 12ft/lbs in these lighter rifles is all a bit of a big ask. Add one pound in overall weight really helps., as seen by the majority of better behaved heavy weighted rifles.

Two rifles that were light weight and seemed to have factory 11ft/lbs plus were the Vulcan MK1 and BSF S70. Neither gave pin point accuracy but they actually held it there and were pretty good so long as the range was kept in the farmyard. Both had agricultural triggers so had to be held with purpose.
    And thats the rub of it: keep to under 25m and they hit stuff. They can hit stuff standing unsupported with practice. Try and force them to 30m and beyond and they struggle whatever the shooting position. For those ranges then best use more of a lump of a rifle.

I really want to like the 95 but just can’t grasp why it’s become my really bad boinger nemesis

I’ve tried dozens and dozens of them from old longer barrelled barrel weight versions to the older 95k then newer 95k and everything else from brand new out the box to Tooned SFS, Tooned Ratworks (worst tune ever seen), home tuned, others that have been shed tuned just about everything bar a full on venom

I always suffer the same issue like many others that pesky muzzle flip I’ve tried heavier silencers, weights, shrouds you name it but it’s still there.

I’ve tried various holds and by far the bench rested sandbag on the forestock with left hand tucked up under the butt (like Tony) has given the best results over any other fandango hold.

I could be completely wrong but am I right in thinking the 95 is basically a long stroked 99?

Now the 99 on the other hand I can shoot reasonably well and I don’t seem to suffer with the flip scenario perhaps as it’s a more short stroke factory setup however we all know the 99s flaws and inherent issues which leads me to believe if I ever try another 95 a short stroke kit should be No1 priority over everything else seeing as I prefer the way the 99 shoots and maybe just maybe it’s the actual longer stroke of the 95 which is the problem and nothing to do with trying to eliminate barrel weight to try and control that flip.

Those that have short stroked the 95 has it been a revolution?

Hi Nick, the subject rifle of the thread (mine) is short stroked by 12mm. I guess to get them right its still needs the correct spring. In standard stroke I think they shoot best at about 14ftlbs.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hi Nick, the subject rifle of the thread (mine) is short stroked by 12mm. I guess to get them right its still needs the correct spring. In standard stroke I think they shoot best at about 14ftlbs.
    It’s very interesting maximums AFAIK with short stroking 95 options there are 8,10,12mm although it’s something I know very little about obviously

What I have realised is especially over the last few years Springers are the work of the devil and some reet voodoo shizzle is going on inside they are not as simple as they look

My own fault for spending way too many years messing with pcp’s I guess but I would love to finally nail my own 95 nemesis.

Well, after another session this afternoon i can confirm that I have NOT sorted the accuracy with mine!. Got my Diana 280 out just to make sure it wasn't me, and though it hasn't been shot in months was soon doing groups that p#ssed all over what I could do with the 95 and with a lot less effort on fixed 4x v 7x mag on the 95. The power of the 95 has now crept up to pretty much 11ftlbs and is the same with all 3 weights of JSB. Best groups were with the 7.33 but still fliers and lateral stringing spoiling things.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Well, after another session this afternoon i can confirm that I have NOT sorted the accuracy with mine!. Got my Diana 280 out just to make sure it wasn't me, and though it hasn't been shot in months was soon doing groups that p#ssed all over what I could do with the 95 and with a lot less effort on fixed 4x v 7x mag on the 95. The power of the 95 has now crept up to pretty much 11ftlbs and is the same with all 3 weights of JSB. Best groups were with the 7.33 but still fliers and lateral stringing spoiling things.
    Would stringing be more associated with barrel lockup?

Assuming you have gone through all the usual stuff maximus? Eg Breech sealing, barrel tightness etc

Yes Nick, no issues there, different pellets give different results. Just seemed to get that kind of spread with the jsb rs.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Yes Nick, no issues there, different pellets give different results. Just seemed to get that kind of spread with the jsb rs.
    This reminds me a tad of Stellas (ades) hw98 accuracy saga which after loads of input from others and many parts changed it turned out to be a hold/rest issue.

The 95 does certainly seem to throw up loads of issues and debates on a lot of forums.

Wish I could help buddy but the 95 has certainly gone back on my own todo list

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Interesting. I have a short stroked 85 and it was very accurate in .177. I am changing it back to .22 so I am going to take your experiment into account, although I think it will be OK as if it worked OK with the little pellets it should be OK with the bigger calibre. So many variables with a springer. The .177 was a short one off a 95, so maybe that made a difference?

As said in a previous post.
    I have swapped my barrel for a shrouded 98 barrel, and short stroked it. It’s had a thorough de burring, made to fit (tight) guide and top hat and a snug PTFE piston liner fitted.

One really strange thing though - all works were carried out except the nose extension and power was set at just under 12ftlb. I tried it for an afternoon and was still unhappy with the handling, so it came apart and the nose extension was fitted. I then lopped a similar length off the spring - the preload is just enough to hold the back block in place whilst reassembling.
    It now shoots really smoothly and is super easy to cock. After reading this thread I thought I would dig the chrono out to see what it was doing, I expected approximately 10.5 ish - it’s actually sitting at about 11.5!!

I can’t work that out, less swept volume and very little preload and the power hasn’t dropped much - but the manners definitely improved.

I have taken something from this though - whatever work you are doing, ALWAYS check over chrono when finished even if you think you are reducing the power.

So, 3 days and 40+ posts in and we still haven’t really decided whether the 95 is abnormally “bouncy” and, if it is, why.