Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the HW95 so bouncy??

FAC rated then at least the pellet might have left the barrel before all the harmonics go ruining everything. 12ft/lbs speeds are just trouble.

Had a .22 lazaglided HW98 years ago. Didnt like the way it fired. My .22 Tomahawk also lazaglided was FAR smoother. And these are already quite lively cause lightweight.
    But the HW98 kept leeping from the shoulder. Contacted Steve Pope; he said that it probably ran too low on power (it was a 12Ftp)for best smoothness. They usually are smoother to shoot slightly over 12Ftp (13Ftp or something). I later shot a tuned FAC HW98 (ok Maccari kit but still) but that indeed was much smoother to shoot than my 12Ftp so Steve was probably right.
    Sold it in the end.
    Low power doesnt always means smoother. I have 7.5J Dianas that shoot as 'rough'as a 12FTp
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    The 95 is one of the guns I've never gotten as good as I want. Bouncy may be a good word for it.
    As we have no power limits here, I can work on getting the action to behave balanced without worrying about power, and I've tried several springs, seals and piston weights.
    My 95 is a sweet smooth shooter after opening the transfer port and reducing the spring length. I am not sure if being a .20 has helped the result but I don't thInk the OP has followed my advice.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Buggered if I know then.
    I think I'm nearly at the same conclusion as you Mick!

Now, mine isn't shooting too bad at the moment but accuracy is not near what it should be with any jsb, (lets face it if your gun will shoot them they are the best) so before I take it apart again I'm going to clean the barrel then shoot some more groups.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    My 95 is a sweet smooth shooter after opening the transfer port and reducing the spring length. I am not sure if being a .20 has helped the result but I don't thInk the OP has followed my advice.

Baz
    Hi Baz, no i haven't touched the tp yet as its not so easy reversed. I believe a tx200 runs a 3.6mm port as standard though may be shorter than the 95. The Diana's run a 4mm port on a weird angle which by all accounts is inefficient but still shoot nice when sorted imo.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Had a .22 lazaglided HW98 years ago. Didnt like the way it fired. My .22 Tomahawk also lazaglided was FAR smoother. And these are already quite lively cause lightweight.
    But the HW98 kept leeping from the shoulder. Contacted Steve Pope; he said that it probably ran too low on power (it was a 12Ftp)for best smoothness. They usually are smoother to shoot slightly over 12Ftp (13Ftp or something). I later shot a tuned FAC HW98 (ok Maccari kit but still) but that indeed was much smoother to shoot than my 12Ftp so Steve was probably right.
    Sold it in the end.
    Low power doesnt always means smoother. I have 7.5J Dianas that shoot as 'rough'as a 12FTp
    I bought a secondhand 95 short barrel with Hw mod many years ago, I took it over the farm and thought perhaps .22 is not as slow a cal as I had thought, used for a few hunting sessions then put it over the chrony it was pushing 13ft lbs but with no muzzle flip, cut a long story short the 95 ended up at around 11.2 ft lbs and was then quickly sold on.
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    FAC rated then at least the pellet might have left the barrel before all the harmonics go ruining everything. 12ft/lbs speeds are just trouble.
    When it was doing 11.6 ftlbs it was firing FAP out at 840fps, still sh#te.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post

Now, mine isn't shooting too bad at the moment but accuracy is not near what it should be with any jsb, (lets face it if your gun will shoot them they are the best) so before I take it apart again I'm going to clean the barrel then shoot some more groups.
    Maybe a good plan, sir.

Now, I've never cleaned a barrel. Not felt the need to. But Jim Tyler, in an article a couple of months ago, explained why it can often be a good idea if accuracy isn't as expected when using a soft pellet (like the JSB) if the barrel has had other, harder pellets through it.

I'm sure you're au fait with the procedure, making sure you lead it back in afterwards.

Hope it works and be sure to report back.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

There have been many a threads on the 95's - trying to tame the muzzle flip and bouncy nature. I understand why many try to tame the 95's as they are nice in the hands.

I currently have 5x 95's. 3x in .20 cal and 2x in quarter bore. I also have a 98. My first 95 was fitted with a Vmach kit as 'out the box', it was rough as f* and bounced like a mule. Since then, I have learned to fettle them to shoot very nicely and smoothly with a gently thud. I found them very pleasant at 10.5 to 11ftlb. They do fettle up very well.

They are ALL accurate ONCE you warmed up to each, returning 1/4 inch groups at 30m. You will certainly enjoy a day out at the club with any of them. However, none of them are what I refer to as a 'grab and go' rifle. I would not trust myself to grab a 95 and go into the fields hunting. They are hold sensitive and dare I say, mood, temperature and weather sensitive.

The 95 offers great fun for those with a sense of challenge. It feels good and shoots great in a light and compact package with the potential of great accuracy. For these reasons, many owners then move on to ask for 'dependability' also. I gave up on this many moons ago to just enjoying it for what it is.

The 95's can be frustrating and I liken it to a game of golf! A few good shots gives you hope and you are left chasing a repeat of those few great shots... So frustrating!!

If you are seeking repeatability and dependability, the 77's and 97's (the TX's and many others) much more able and less hold sensitive. A half decent t'ooned one will offer 'point and shoot' performance, at the sacrifice of weight and price.

No one have yet identified the 95's achilles heel nor have successfully tamed them in mass.

Quote Originally Posted by alexall View Post
    There have been many a threads on the 95's - trying to tame the muzzle flip and bouncy nature. I understand why many try to tame the 95's as they are nice in the hands.

I currently have 5x 95's. 3x in .20 cal and 2x in quarter bore. I also have a 98. My first 95 was fitted with a Vmach kit as 'out the box', it was rough as f* and bounced like a mule. Since then, I have learned to fettle them to shoot very nicely and smoothly with a gently thud. I found them very pleasant at 10.5 to 11ftlb. They do fettle up very well.

They are ALL accurate ONCE you warmed up to each, returning 1/4 inch groups at 30m. You will certainly enjoy a day out at the club with any of them. However, none of them are what I refer to as a 'grab and go' rifle. I would not trust myself to grab a 95 and go into the fields hunting. They are hold sensitive and dare I say, mood, temperature and weather sensitive.

The 95 offers great fun for those with a sense of challenge. It feels good and shoots great in a light and compact package with the potential of great accuracy. For these reasons, many owners then move on to ask for 'dependability' also. I gave up on this many moons ago to just enjoying it for what it is.

The 95's can be frustrating and I liken it to a game of golf! A few good shots gives you hope and you are left chasing a repeat of those few great shots... So frustrating!!

If you are seeking repeatability and dependability, the 77's and 97's (the TX's and many others) much more able and less hold sensitive. A half decent t'ooned one will offer 'point and shoot' performance, at the sacrifice of weight and price.

No one have yet identified the 95's achilles heel nor have successfully tamed them in mass.
    Blimey Lee what you doing in the Airgun section?

Is the sales section closed today or something?

On a serious note some valid points but I feel the 95 Achilles heel was identified years ago they simply are a hold sensitive marmite gun some can shoot them very well and many others simply struggle with them.

All sounds too familiar Alexall!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I think the same issue just sends us round and round Nick without any conclusive answers. The same question is asked but no real answer will be forthcoming.

It's like trying to get a panel pin hammer to drive a concrete nail in, and wonder why its such hard work and you keep screaming "ouch!" No point debating the pros and cons of a panel pin hammer.

It's less heartache and cheaper to accept it for what it is. Weihrauch doesn't make any excuses for their design. Get the right tool to do the right job - buy something else!

Quote Originally Posted by alexall View Post
    I think the same issue just sends us round and round Nick without any conclusive answers. The same question is asked but no real answer will be forthcoming.

It's like trying to get a panel pin hammer to drive a concrete nail in, and wonder why its such hard work and you keep screaming "ouch!" No point debating the pros and cons of a panel pin hammer.

It's less heartache and cheaper to accept it for what it is. Weihrauch doesn't make any excuses for their design. Get the right tool to do the right job - buy something else!
    Others have touched on the subject with power on the 95 perhaps the U.K. sub 12 market really isn’t the right market for the 95 hence really not the right tool for the job.

I’m not even sure the short stroking route is the answer either reading through the thread, although it’s something I haven’t tried with the 95.

I do however firmly believe that the 95 will need some serious time and dedication to get the best from them but not everyone wants to put in the legwork on something that has such inherent traits to master.

I’m guilty of being impatient with them myself but can’t imagine how frustrating it must be having multiple versions in stock that aren’t very confidence inspiring and way down the pecking order.

After all the saying goes beware the man with only one gun for he knows how to ruddy use it or something like that
    Last edited by oldskoolzzz; 18-01-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Well, cleaned the barrel and did some more groups today. Seems better but not great and has developed a slight spring buzz when using the 8.4s again. Also realised that I had left my chrono outside all night in the rain so that may be fubarred now. Put it in the airing cupboard to dry out, hopefully be ok in a few days.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I hope the chrono's going to be okay.

What power / preload did you settle on? If there's safe wriggle room, a little extra preload will, hopefully, take care of the buzz with the 8.4s. But then if it's okay with the lighter ones, maybe just stick with them? How many shots has the clean barrel had through it?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!