Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HW Rifle Prices

Quote Originally Posted by Reevo17 View Post
    Yup

Last year you could get an hw77 for £330 posted

Then just like that their prices shot up! SWS aren’t the bargain they once were, that’s before brexit.

New prices going up should help secondhand prices also?!
    That depends, I have been around long enough to know I will not pay £300 for a secondhand rifle I could pick up for £200 more than 12 months ago.

I do wonder if prices have gone up even more as a result of limited supply due to the pandemic? If so I bet they don't come down much, if at all, when things are better.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Think back to the 2006 VCR bill and what happened to prices when the likes of our sponsor had his hands tied. Nothing to do with the manufacturers, material costs or paperwork.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    Think back to the 2006 VCR bill and what happened to prices when the likes of our sponsor had his hands tied. Nothing to do with the manufacturers, material costs or paperwork.
    I remember his shop in Shipley, (my hometown), and after that in Keighley. Could I ask, how did the VCR affect prices at the time? I am aware that distance purchasing is now a pita.

I do suspect that there is an element of gouging somewhere along the line, if not at the start and finish but maybe in the middle (man).

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    I remember his shop in Shipley, (my hometown), and after that in Keighley. Could I ask, how did the VCR affect prices at the time? I am aware that distance purchasing is now a pita.

I do suspect that there is an element of gouging somewhere along the line, if not at the start and finish but maybe in the middle (man).
    No sooner had the VCR act come in, preventing JSR and others selling mail order at discount, everyone and his dog started hiking prices. Look at the variations in prices now, from shop to shop; there can be £25 difference on a sub £100 plinking pistol. I was looking at a Gamo PT85 for plinking in the garden. Prices? £85, £84, £120, £109 and £169!!!! (but with a dozen CO2 cartridges!)
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

Airgun prices

I see that Pellpax are advertising the HW77 at £465 and that is a Hull Cartridge import. PP never had a reputation for being the cheapest.
    It is true that gun prices have been increasing both here and on the Continent over the past few years. German wage increases have pushed up the price of German guns and components (such as Walther barrels) but also I think in this country the stopping of Mail order has resulted in less guns being sold, which means that for a retailer the margin on each item has to go up to cover expenses such as rent on the premises, business rates, salaries...This has been exacerbated by the screaming of the popular press over any Airgun incident, which makes neighbours less tolerant of them, which restricts the places they can be shot, which makes people less willing to buy them. I have a small garden and have rifles I have not shot since March.
    It is also true that people are pushing up the second hand prices. I saw a rifle on here I wanted recently but the seller wanted about £50 less than the same was available new. Sellers have to remember that since what they sell is not covered by the protection offered by Trading Standards, and of course they do not offer a guarantee then the buyer is taking a lot more risk buying privately and the price should reflect that. Sellers might also like to consider that glass on a rifle does not add value, as most buyers would want to put their own glass on
    Eric
    Last edited by EricP; 27-01-2021 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    I am just glad I have all I want now.
    Ade old chap

I really am struggling to believe that statement.....

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    No sooner had the VCR act come in, preventing JSR and others selling mail order at discount, everyone and his dog started hiking prices. Look at the variations in prices now, from shop to shop; there can be £25 difference on a sub £100 plinking pistol. I was looking at a Gamo PT85 for plinking in the garden. Prices? £85, £84, £120, £109 and £169!!!! (but with a dozen CO2 cartridges!)
    Thank you.

Is there not going to be a tipping point as such where, along with other products, items just sit on retailers shelves? Now, I am not laying the blame at the doors of bricks and mortar retailers, though some I could mention in general retail have done rather nicely over the past ten months. I just get the impression that some "businesses" will use the current situation to balance their losses.

They'll probably sell less and less, increase prices to compensate and then some will fold. It will be the fault of everyone else and the cycle will continue with the remainder.

"Competition" seems to be a dirty word in our business community. They seem to prefer "staying in line with our competitors" as the excuse for hiking prices.

I've previously quoted the £165 Alfa pistol sent from the Czech Republic and the RRP of £400 to £450 quoted at the time by the importer (who had no stock anyway).

Another example, I bought an Umarex S & W 586 from our sponsor just before VCR. Now I know it was 14 years ago, but I paid £93 plus post. They're now quoted £249, £239, £270 and I doubt that Umarex has almost tripled the price, or that Umarex employees have had a 250% pay rise.

Form your own conclusions.