Thread: Plastic piston sleeve in a HW80 is still going strong after months of use

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Plastic piston sleeve in a HW80 is still going strong after months of use

Some of you might remember me posting about this and how it transformed my twangy 80 but some of us thought that it would not last without a new type shoe, but to my surprise it works fine with the old type so I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and if it worked for them

Yes, had one in my short stroked 22 for years, no issues yet. Same with acetal spring guides, never had one break ever and they are in all my guns.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Handy information, Barry.

What was the source of the plastic?

Do you like pink?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    new shoe is just a better design though. less latgeral forces on the piston, spring, and sleave. But good to see it holding up.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    new shoe is just a better design though. less latgeral forces on the piston, spring, and sleave. But good to see it holding up.
    I'm still not fully convinced that the new type shoe is better the old one it seems to me that some of the old shoes are better than others, if you have a nice one the only real force is in the end of the cocking slot but the new ones take the blue off the cocking slot, although Ill soon change my mind if the plastic sleeve gives out

Tony, I would like to be in the pink lol.
    Its a gel spray plastic bottle the right shape and thickness, anything like that I usually check out what her indoors has got

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I'm still not fully convinced that the new type shoe is better the old one it seems to me that some of the old shoes are better than others, if you have a nice one the only real force is in the end of the cocking slot but the new ones take the blue off the cocking slot, although Ill soon change my mind if the plastic sleeve gives out

Its a gel spray plastic bottle the right shape and thickness, anything like that I usually check out what her indoors has got
    Probably not easy to produce ? The new type cocking shoe should have nylon inserts to run against the cylinder imo.
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Probably not easy to produce ? The new type cocking shoe should have nylon inserts to run against the cylinder imo.
    Mmm....nice idea but, as you say, probably very hard to do. I've not had any play time with the new style shoes. Maybe some fine filing and finishing on the shoe itself and the slot (as you'd tend to on a springer fettle anyway) and some high content moly paste?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Yep, I'm often eyeing up suitable "candidates", like TreSemme bottles, and trying magnets on drinks cans to see if they're steel or ally.

Normally find any container with HDPE on the bottom works well for piston liners.
    The thickness of the HDPE has to match the spring fit in the piston of course.

I like the new type shoe, but those fitting them should be aware that they may have to trim a little bit of wood from the back of the stock's cocking lever slot internally to clear the new shoe.

All the best Mick

Excellent tip, Mick.