Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire circlips

Wire circlips

I may have posted on this topic a few years ago but failed to find them ...
    On several rifles, Old just post war Webleys I think are one, retaining pins are held in position by wire circlips. Think of a wire ring where you then push the diameter in and the invagination you create then fits around the pin, fitting in a groove in the pin.
    I have found them called 'plain wire snap rings' but a search for them in the UK invariably brings up the round wire spring clips that resemble a wire ring with a cut in it. This type can fit over a shaft (or pin) or inside a groove in a tube. You can make them by cutting sections from a spring.
    But I digress... I have yet again been trying to find the 'Webley' style wire circlips here in the UK but failed ... I found a supplier in the USA.
    Maybe they are called something else here? Or maybe all supplies come from overseas. Other circlips can do the job, e clips, C clips for instance and I think the Webley type are available from spares stores at a high cost. But out of interest I would like to find a UK supply at a reasonable price.
    Does anyone know of a source? So far my googling has failed.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I may have posted on this topic a few years ago but failed to find them ...
    On several rifles, Old just post war Webleys I think are one, retaining pins are held in position by wire circlips. Think of a wire ring where you then push the diameter in and the invagination you create then fits around the pin, fitting in a groove in the pin.
    I have found them called 'plain wire snap rings' but a search for them in the UK invariably brings up the round wire spring clips that resemble a wire ring with a cut in it. This type can fit over a shaft (or pin) or inside a groove in a tube. You can make them by cutting sections from a spring.
    But I digress... I have yet again been trying to find the 'Webley' style wire circlips here in the UK but failed ... I found a supplier in the USA.
    Maybe they are called something else here? Or maybe all supplies come from overseas. Other circlips can do the job, e clips, C clips for instance and I think the Webley type are available from spares stores at a high cost. But out of interest I would like to find a UK supply at a reasonable price.
    Does anyone know of a source? So far my googling has failed.
    Cheers, Phil
    https://www.springmasters.com/circlips-retaining-rings/

A pic of an original one might help, but from your description they sound a bit like what I’d call “gudgeon clips”.

Have a google for those and see if they’re something like what you want.

Cheers
    Greg

Perhaps show a picture or line drawing of what you want
    I have no idea what "invagination" is supposed to mean in this context & have never touched an old Webley,
    I doubt very much that I'm alone in not having a clue what you're looking for.

Thanks Thegreg, I was trying to think where I'd seen those tailed snap rings, of course gudgeon pin clips

Sorry if there is any confusion; it is caused by me not knowing the descriptive term.. a google did bring up 'plain wire snap ring' for a US company but it gave nothing for the UK.
    Consider a wire ring, maybe 1mm wire about 8mm diameter ring. Now push on the outer edge e.g. with a screwdriver towards the centre of the ring. The outer edge goes in and produces a channel. Now consider that channel clipping around a groove in a pin. This is very crude description ... basically a circlip made from round wire instead of flat steel sheet.
    I looked at springmasters but there is nowt there ... close though. Sorry, not gudgeon pins either.

Never mind, thanks for suggestions.
    Cheers, Phil

Hi would it be similar to the clip that holds the end of a pop out gun. Atb mick

E clips
    ,AA , Magtech , Arnie, Sako, Ruger . plus the others .

Any here ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=plai...&bih=548&dpr=3

If you have seen them on line why not link to them ?

Wire Spring clip thingys

I think what you are talking about are the type of clips used on webley omega style trigger pins. Google that on Chamers airgun spares for an image. HTH David

Retaining Rings Round Wire Circlip for Shafts Snap Ring DIN 7993 A Spring Steel

Have a look on the bay this is the description
    Retaining-Rings-Round-Wire-Circlip-for-Shafts-Snap-Ring-DIN-7993-A-Spring-Steel

Seller ej-parts (103637
    Round Wire Snap Ring For Shafts, External Retaining Washers
    DIN 7993 A 4mm - 70mm All Sizes
    Spring Steel
    Sizes 4 to 70 mm
    item number:293732013102

I am very confused by your description, could you put up a detailed photograph?

All I can think of are these spiral wound retaining rings:-

Last edited by Mason; 21-01-2021 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Any here ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=plai...&bih=548&dpr=3

If you have seen them on line why not link to them ?
    They are there ... top row, left and row 3, 2nd from right.

also found on Knibbs part V26 for Eclipse and Hawk Mk 1. But at £3 each that is a bit much
    I will check out other suggestions.
    Cheers, Phil

Extra: not other suggestions ... they are snap rings etc. Sorry.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    I had to google 'invagination' ...
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

When you had googled it did you realize that you knew all along?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    I had to google 'invagination' ...
    Oh dear, sorry about that. Yes ... clearly an anatomical connection but as it is a valid medical term then I do not think anyone can be offended. And although the term is most widely used in anatomy as per Wikipedia etc it does have a valid use elsewhere for situations where the outside of an item is pushed inwards to form an inner 'receptacle' or passage. As a visual aid, think of a softish balloon and then pushing your finger into it. You create a closed tube around your finger.... the whole process being invagination as the tube forms. What was the outer surface is now an inner surface around your finger.
    I think I should stop there ......
    Cheers, Phil