Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra alternative?

Ultra alternative?

While lying in my sick bed, fed up of watching TV with bbs as company, I'm curious if there is anything out there and if not why not to replace as an alternative to the humble ultra. Going off the wanted and sales section these are in demand, mmc, single and multi se's etc maybe apart from the ultra max. I've owned one from new for over 6 years mmc single shot in .177 and apart from a reseal has never let me down.
    So I am looking for a light, full power PCP, accurate, fixable with parts back up, enough shots for a hunting trip, affordable. And most important made for sub 12fpe, which basically rules out kral and hatsan imo.
    The only gun that springs to mind which I've recently bought is a Artemis pr900w. Ticks most if the boxes apart from available spares, though it shares bits from other Artemis so shouldn't be a problem. Anyone have other suggestions? I wonder if bsa (jb) knew what success they would have with the ultra all them years ago?

Don't discount the NP03
    They are stupidly easy to work and very simply built and reliable.

Has to be said though, for me that MMC Ultra is the best small PCP ever and I wish I still had mine....

I have the NP03 and find it more than capable of the job .
    I’d be interested on finding how to work on it though if biker Bob would like to tell me .
    Some things may work even better with a little refinement.

Hand on heart I was going to say all hatsan and kral with possible exception to the np03. Though having not owned one I still suspect they are still fitted with original tractor hammer spring and pin prick transfer port to keep below 12fpe, with ingenious AT in situation. The pr900w feels like a sub12fpe gun that's cranked up for overseas power levels rather than the other way round, like the ultra.

From my experience with the NP03 there is no anti tamper.
    Correct about big hammer spring and pin prick TP though - but they're very easy to modify to your taste.

Falcon light hunter or fn12? I'm struggling to think of anything else

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    While lying in my sick bed, fed up of watching TV with bbs as company, I'm curious if there is anything out there and if not why not to replace as an alternative to the humble ultra. Going off the wanted and sales section these are in demand, mmc, single and multi se's etc maybe apart from the ultra max. I've owned one from new for over 6 years mmc single shot in .177 and apart from a reseal has never let me down.
    So I am looking for a light, full power PCP, accurate, fixable with parts back up, enough shots for a hunting trip, affordable. And most important made for sub 12fpe, which basically rules out kral and hatsan imo.
    The only gun that springs to mind which I've recently bought is a Artemis pr900w. Ticks most if the boxes apart from available spares, though it shares bits from other Artemis so shouldn't be a problem. Anyone have other suggestions? I wonder if bsa (jb) knew what success they would have with the ultra all them years ago?
    The closest to the ultra that’s still in production that I can think of would be the HW110K (karbine version)

Ultra:

32” overall length (without a silencer)
    2.6kg unscoped

110K:

34.5” overall length (including a silencer)
    Approx 2.9kg unscoped

It’s probably not a fair comparison with value as there’s probably £200+ price difference when buying new.

However it’s got plus and negative points the 110k length being what I would class as a proper karbine and the weight could be lighter with an aftermarket titanium cylinder which will nudge it very close to the ultra but this is then going off in a different direction with having to modify a rifle.

Other plus points are a factory regulator with the 110k and superb silencer followed by a very handy Picatinny scope rail and forestock rail.

A used 110k would be a good challenger for the ultra and I know they are a bit marmite however the spares backup shouldn’t be an issue but obviously not as easy to work on as the ultra so a little double knife edged.

I briefly owned a 110k along with many other regular 110’s but when I first picked up the 110k I thought my god this is tiny and very light.

Food for thought though perhaps.

Zbroia Hortitsia with the 330mm barrel.

Similar money, similar looks, simple design and excellent accuracy by all accounts I’ve seen. Plus it has 12 pellet mag, higher capacity cylinder and pic rails. I quite like these to be honest.

Possibly has a bit more in common with a scorpion but worth a mention anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by chimpy leon View Post
    Zbroia Hortitsia with the 330mm barrel.

Similar money, similar looks, simple design and excellent accuracy by all accounts I’ve seen. Plus it has 12 pellet mag, higher capacity cylinder and pic rails. I quite like these to be honest.

Possibly has a bit more in common with a scorpion but worth a mention anyway.
    These do look decent and intriguing leon, my only concern would be the longevity with parts supply.

I remember enquiring about them with a certain importer a while back who was very disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I wonder if bsa (jb) knew what success they would have with the ultra all them years ago?
    Get well soon JB certainly did. He told me that after the Hornet he suggested at one their meetings what was to be the Ultra. He knew what a success it would be because of the earlier demand for his short but practical Titan Manitou Bearcat and MPT. BSA were less sure and said it would sell because it was a BSA but sales would be limited because there was no demand for such a short low shot count rifle.
    JBs next one for BSA, the Scorpion. was delayed by a considerable amount of time due to the demand for the Ultra. It appealed to all sorts. Shooters, fishermen and country lovers in general. Say no more

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Get well soon JB certainly did. He told me that after the Hornet he suggested at one their meetings what was to be the Ultra. He knew what a success it would be because of the earlier demand for his short but practical Titan Manitou Bearcat and MPT. BSA were less sure and said it would sell because it was a BSA but sales would be limited because there was no demand for such a short low shot count rifle.
    JBs next one for BSA, the Scorpion. was delayed by a considerable amount of time due to the demand for the Ultra. It appealed to all sorts. Shooters, fishermen and country lovers in general. Say no more
    It’s a real shame JB and BSA parted ways.

I often hear of ‘blueprinted’ BSA’s by the ‘oracle’ himself as being much better than the factory churned out stuff.

Which leads me to believe JB wasn’t overly happy then with perhaps his designs not being fully implemented by BSA and corners cut, reputations to uphold hence the fallout.

I’ve never owned a JB blueprinted Ultra, Scorpion, S/R10 but maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post

I’ve never owned a JB blueprinted Ultra, Scorpion, S/R10 but maybe one day.
    By the law of averages, one of should have mate

Me neither
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Possibly a Brocock Contour, Bantam or other variants? Have a look at their site. There's quite a bit out there really ...
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    Falcon light hunter or fn12? I'm struggling to think of anything else
    My skan r32 is shorter than them both

the small falcon