Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadet major power

Cadet major power

Although my sons must have shot a zillion pellets through these guns in the past we never bothered about power. Now that I have a refurbished one to sell I would like to know what power it's
    supposed to be? it's a 1950s one. Anyone know please.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

What does the chrono say at the moment ?

Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    What does the chrono say at the moment ?
    I'm guessing that he doesn't have a chrono. May be after an estimated or expected figure.
    ...Diana 24 .177........Feinwerkbau 127.....ASI Sniper .22.. Diana 27 .177. Diana 48 .177 .... HW 98 .22.

Around 5.5-6 ft-lbs, I’d think.

I have had loads of cadet majors and worked on them to inprove them but most run at about 5 to 6 ft lbs, i have only ever got one just touching 7 ft lbs,
    it does make me laugh when i hear people say they have one at 10 to 11 ft lbs,

5-6 ft lb from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by smudge1901 View Post
    I'm guessing that he doesn't have a chrono. May be after an estimated or expected figure.

Let's see what the man says...

Power

Yes I have a Chrono and the gun is running at 6ft/lbs with AA field pellets. So that seems to be the norm. In the old days we used to go by how deformed a pellet was when fired at a brick wall. Or if it would penetrate a pea tin. Just a dent was poor. clean through one side was normal and to dent the far side was excellent. A squirt of model airplane engine fuel down the spout would get a clean through both sides. Days gone by eh!
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Yes I have a Chrono and the gun is running at 6ft/lbs with AA field pellets. So that seems to be the norm. In the old days we used to go by how deformed a pellet was when fired at a brick wall. Or if it would penetrate a pea tin. Just a dent was poor. clean through one side was normal and to dent the far side was excellent. A squirt of model airplane engine fuel down the spout would get a clean through both sides. Days gone by eh!
    Diesel or Glo?

Seen that in the 1960's as nippers, the older kids showed us how to squirt oil into guns, cock and dry fire to atomise, then load and fire quicky, Now and again you got a crack and a flash and it went off like a .22 short.......

Didn't know any better and with messing around like that, plus fireworks and jetex thrown in, wonder we all still have our eyesight and fingers

I still have scars from before starting Comprehensive school, from being careless in those days.

ATB, Ed

1960s

Yep diesel of course, one drop in the back of a pellet and bang. As you say just like a 22 short.
    I can still smell those jetex engines. the hot fins used to print patterns on your skin. We used to put them on boats.
    Now at 84 it's black powder and exploding clays.
    May I never grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Diesel or Glo?

I still have scars from before starting Comprehensive school, from being careless in those days.

ATB, Ed

LOL. You and me both mate Comprehensives hadn't even been thought of when I got my scars

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    i don't have a chronograph so still use the bean tin as a guide,i reckon 6flb should go through both sides at 15yds,i have no idea what i'm basing that on except i have a cadet that will go through one side of the can and a diana 27 that goes through both sides.my bsa standard no 2 will go through both sides of 2 canshave you tried the major vs a bean can?

Never thought about power so much, but I shot a lot of rabbits with mine in the 50s anything to about 25 yard was doable.
    upgraded to a standard, and a spot of aero fuel in tap when cocking really did put the power up but at the expense of accuracy.
    happy days with lots of rabbits😊👍🇬🇧
    snarepeg.

Tins

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    i don't have a chronograph so still use the bean tin as a guide,i reckon 6flb should go through both sides at 15yds,i have no idea what i'm basing that on except i have a cadet that will go through one side of the can and a diana 27 that goes through both sides.my bsa standard no 2 will go through both sides of 2 canshave you tried the major vs a bean can?
    Not really a valid test now. The bean or pea tins of yesteryear were of much sterner stuff.

Cans

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    You have one mean BSA standard my friend.