Thread: Winter basement vintage pistol shootout - I have to choose my favorite

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    A surprising result in the end... Well done on an interesting thread

Even more surprising is the velocity obtained from the Webley - a non-standard spring perhaps?

Rifles next?...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    A surprising result in the end... Well done on an interesting thread

Even more surprising is the velocity obtained from the Webley - a non-standard spring perhaps?

Rifles next?...
    I thought similar things about the Webley but there had been a long discussion on a US vintage Airgun forum by a very knowledgeable English fellow. He has tuned Webleys for many years. He said that the Straight Grip Senior Piston produces the most power. It went downhill from there? He assumed my pistol would be close to 500 FPS.

Here was part of his post:

“Finally the Seniors Phosphor Bronze piston ring.
    This is very underrated because collectors assume it is of ancient design and being metal cannot be good for sealing. Wrong.
    Once set up correctly, they can run beautifully with a bit of motor oil. There is zero temp sensitivity and the early versions with less mass forward of the groove could often hit 470 fps territory.
    Those early Seniors, simply made the most of the internal piston chamber which is the same size for all these guns.”
    Last edited by 45flint; 23-01-2021 at 10:55 PM.

The Straight Grip Senior has always been my favourite Webley air pistol for appearance, but the Slant Grip model sits more naturally in the hand which may be why I find it slightly more accurate.

Brian

My most accurate older Webley’s are a slant grip pre-war mk 1 and a steel series E premier. Both really down to them having light crisp triggers. Still haven’t got round to zeroing my seniors, initial tests when I got them were disappointing.

Nice thread and good shooting,

Many thanks,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    My most accurate older Webley’s are a slant grip pre-war mk 1 and a steel series E premier. Both really down to them having light crisp triggers. Still haven’t got round to zeroing my seniors, initial tests when I got them were disappointing.

Nice thread and good shooting,

Many thanks,
    Matt
    Interesting that the English fellow that started the Webley pistol discussion made the case that the MK 1 is the most accurate of their pistols.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...topic=180121.0

Topping my list of Webley air pistols is this pre-war Slant-Grip Senior.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Topping my list of Webley air pistols is this pre-war Slant-Grip Senior.

Brian
    I’m still looking for my Stoeger Prewar Slant Grip Senior over here! Hens teeth!

I think that it’s the Walnut checkered grips with brass emblem and embossed trigger that take my straight grip over the top of the Prewar Slant. Plastic is Plastic? Once plastic appears on a gun it never goes away, usually more will arrive as the years go on.
    Last edited by 45flint; 25-01-2021 at 05:22 PM.