Thread: Bench Rest only Ar Rifle.

Bench Rest only Ar Rifle.

Hi All

Been searching posts etc for recommendations for a BR only rifle and keep going back to a HFT 500 filled circa 165 /170 for the sweet spot, any other rifles that can be used that I've not thought off, looked at BSA, FX, Daystate

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor123 View Post
    Hi All

Been searching posts etc for recommendations for a BR only rifle and keep going back to a HFT 500 filled circa 165 /170 for the sweet spot, any other rifles that can be used that I've not thought off, looked at BSA, FX, Daystate

Trev
    I use my HFT 500 and cleaned our club 50 shot BR target with a max score of 5000 three times out of 4 shoots before covid put pay to things!
    I fill to 150 and do half the course and refill after the first 25 shots to then complete the course of fire.
    Same with HFT I fill to 150 which covers our 30 shot course. This gun is so ultra consistent at that charge weight. Was thinking though of getting a dedicated BR stock for her as the standard stock is not totally ideal.
    Cheers
    Dave
    People said smile things could get worse, so I smiled and they did!

Many thanks for the input Dave, the BR forum has some stocks on their.

Trev

i use an air arms ultimate sporter for my bench rest shooting, single shot loader and a stock thats fully adjustable ,built in reg, i do well with it in competition. deff worth a look!.

I looked at the S510R only thing that put me off was the magazine, but I think a single load adapter is avaliable, so it's a desision between the 500 or 510 R cheers Billy.

Trev

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    You can use pretty much any accurate gun, a lot of it will come down to the whole package and the way it's set up and used - and don't forget the pellets

I have several I use and do pretty well with all of them: LG400/TM1000/Red Wolf. Other top offerings include: FWB800/Annie9015/SteyrLG110/anything from Thomas

Just remember - tiny gains in several areas end up increasing your score overall
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    You can use pretty much any accurate gun, a lot of it will come down to the whole package and the way it's set up and used - and don't forget the pellets

I have several I use and do pretty well with all of them: LG400/TM1000/Red Wolf. Other top offerings include: FWB800/Annie9015/SteyrLG110/anything from Thomas

Just remember - tiny gains in several areas end up increasing your score overall
    Absolutely. I have an FX Dreamline that I use for work, it's brilliant and well worth the almost £2,000 that I spent on the setup. But my best benchrest gun is an old MK2 AA S200 with a fixed 10x MTC Viper on top. I have a later S200 with a 35x Premier Leupold scope, a Rapid and a regulated Hatsan that I customised specifically for benchrest. But that old S200 is just better. The only down side is the low shot count. I am totally confident in that gun and I know that when it misses, it is my fault. I have owned that gun for over ten years now. Unfortunately, it turns out I am crap at benchrest shooting.

Thank you for all the feedback and another couple of makes to have a look at.

Trev

There are many guns I haven’t had the good fortune to try. Of those I have tried, I’ve had most consistent success with an S400 and the Daystate MK4is. One that is a big surprise, and disappointment, is the FTP900 - absolutely lovely rifle to hold and shoot, but never scored a 250/250.

Those that haven’t worked out in my hands are HW100, HW110, S200, Steyr lg110 or any spring rifle.

Would like to try something from FX and a Thomas (I can dream).

Our best benchrest man used an AA S400 with a homemade stock (flat under fore end ) and was regularly shooting 100 +4 and IIRC better. He had a lot of health problems, including heart and we used to joke that he had no pulse!!
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.