Thread: Spring pistols, fight or not fight the recoil ?

Spring pistols, fight or not fight the recoil ?

lets say a Walther LP53 and a webley senior...
    Both VERY different recoils and we each get a feel for each gun with time, BUT in general do you grip to "control/fight or grip to rest/go with the recoil ??
    Just wondered what far better shooters than me do

General grip question with Springers I guess !
    Thanks

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Some people get better results with a loose grip, others with a tighter hold. The trick is to find which works for you and then do the same every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Some people get better results with a loose grip, others with a tighter hold. The trick is to find which works for you and then do the same every single time.
    Its very strange, as the reason I ask is with the Webley a very tight OR loose hold works for me, but the LP53 will only shoot straight if I grip it firmly with middle two fingers, more so than the rest of the grip... i.e it requires resistance at bottom left (I am right handed), however this seems odd as I would expect any torque twisting in that plane from the Webley not the Walther... Please remember I am daft LOL Why am I even thinking about this LOL, do what works, I know

You never fight recoil. Youll get flyers. Always followthrough
    BUT I dó use a firm hold with springer ap. For some reason that works best. Contrary to airrifles
    Youll have to experiment with hold; some like l/h firm, others support hand, thumb straight or bent etc.
    ATB,
    yana

the big C ..consistency...whichever you choose stay the same
    much prefer the Webley tho,recoil straight back in the hand,my Diana flies away forward from the hand ,and worse the LP53..
    upwards thro the hand !!the barrel weight for it I find makes no difference other than tiring me out sooner

stagmanv835 is offline i tend to drink while on the bbs
    I found the rearwards operating spring pistols ( W Tempest/Huricane BSA 240 M HW45) much simpler to get the grip right

My diana , gamo falcon & gat are a pita to get used to
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for

From memory, I use different holds for the Webley (Tempest/Hurricane). With the Tempest I use a firm grip with my shooting hand, not support hand. With the Diana LP6M/LP5 magnum the other way around. I squeeze with my support hand.
    Thumb position was also crucial with both (bent or straight) but dont recall it. Havent shot them for long.
    With these holds, both guns are véry accurate. Ragged holes at 6 yrds. My best with Tempest 1 cm edge-edge. Which is kinda standard for the Diana.
    Consistency...dont know. Tried artillery hold long time at first, just didnt work. Than got a tip about firm hold for the Tempest. Now shoots like a dream.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by stagmanv835 View Post
    My diana , gamo falcon & gat are a pita to get used to
    ... but when you (sort of) get there it was worth it!
    Last edited by vestlenning; 19-01-2021 at 09:40 AM.

I had a Tempest in 0.22, but just could not shoot it straight, it always seemed to be torqueing to the right, but I knew someone with a Turkish 0.177 model who said he had no problem.
    For a brief time I had a 1950's Senior with a slant grip in 0.22 - could not shoot that for toffee either, but now I have a 1966 Premier in 0.177 and it shoots perfectly straight.
    I did have a theory that there is something going on with the longer lock-time for the 0.22 models, but I have recently acquired a Hurricane in 0.22, and this shoots straight. Does that extra mass at the back end make a difference?
    The Senior trigger was very heavy, which is never good for holding a pistol on target, the Premier and Hurricane both have lovely triggers, but then so did the Tempest!

When I work it out, I will let you know...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

I think this is a “what works for you” thing.

With a two-hand grip on a springer, I’ve often had good results with a fairly weak strong hand hold and a firmer one from the support hand. That may sound and feel a bit weird, but it works.

The Webley springers are hard to do well with with a loose hold, but not impossible. I think I favour a medium hold. But that may be a cop-out. I’ve had some good moments with them, but will never claim to have really sussed out what works best.

I too have found (unscientifically) that Webley over levers are more accurate in .177” than .22” and wondered why. Is it barrel/ammo quality and compatibility? Barrel rigidity? Or as Modski suggests the shorter barrel time - or the different spring-surge characteristics of a pellet with a lower start pressure?

Finally, in my experience the BSA Scorpion shoots terribly if you grip it as if it was a .50” Desert Eagle, but shoots really well with a gentle two-handed hold. Ditto the HW45.

The .22 holes are just bigger
    I own several Webley pistols. Tempests in both calibers, Typhoon in .177, Hurricane in .22.
    And all are very accurate with the right pellet.
    I think the difficulty some people may have with the .22 is that they keep looking for/shooting 5.56 pellets cause thats what it says on the barrel.
    I tried 5.55 FTT, nope. It liked 5.53 though. And the other .22 likes JSB.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    ..... but shoots really well with a gentle two-handed hold. Ditto the HW45.
    This is the grip I have found to work best with my HW45 too.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    This is the grip I have found to work best with my HW45 too.
    Rich.
    Yup.

I used to shoot a 45 in the UBC comp. this involves one card two handed and one card one hand hold.

Two handed Was firm but not strangling, to get anywhere near the same POI one handed I had to strangle it. It was a struggle to master the change of hold.

Like rifles, springers need a consistent hold and you need to try a few to work out what works well. I’ve never shot an lp53 or predom copy but I can imagine they take it one step further with the vertical recoil motion!

Consistency is the key, doesn't matter how you hold so long as yer consistent, a different hold, no matter how slightly different will give a different poi, in my opinion..