Thread: A good plinking weekend...

A good plinking weekend...

Had some fun the last 3 days. Had some minor health issues, haven't been out doing as much shooting as I'd like since November. But Friday gave myself a kick, set up a 6m, 10m & 20m series of targets in the garden.
    Also went back to basics with my technique - used proper targets, paid much more attention to follow thru, consistent hold, breathing.
    First day used 'junior/teen' guns in .177, with my new fave pellets, H&N Excite, on the 6/10m targets. Very pleased with the results, much better than others I've used. OK, was concentrating more, but...
    2nd day was pure plinking, just at cans.
    The 3rd day, used the 20m targets. with a 1969-72 Mk 4 Airsporter, a 1991 HW35, & a 2012 Meteor. Best groups with the Sporter using Marksman 5.6mm, although the 35 (H&N FTT) & the Meteor (RWS Superdome) were very close.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Nice one,
    I've been shooting,
    an original 27 and a Webley omega,
    With open sights today.
    Let's hope the weather is getting better.
    [url]www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Quote Originally Posted by sniperphil View Post
    Nice one,
    I've been shooting,
    With open sights today.
    Oops - should have said, the 3rd days shooting (Airsporter, HW35, Meteor) at 20m were all done with 'scopes - find it difficult over 10m with opens nowadays!

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

glad you enjoyed it mate cant waite to start getting out with my gun

edbear2 Guest
    I had the .25 MK1 80 out today (1983 gun with later star breech barrel fitted for Rattus Rattus)...My JSR compact 6x30 adj illuimated PA scope had finally broken, the cross hairs rotating around!......So was zeroing the new one which is a UTG 3-9 "bugbuster", the nearest I could find to the JSR in terms of size and close PA.

It cost a lot more than I remember the JSR costing, which goes to show what great value the original one was, but sadly NLA when I looked for a replacement.

Had an enjoyable hour or so trying a few pellet options before zeroing down to the exact range where I bait, so settled on Bisley pest control in the end as range only 7 yards

ATB, Ed

Never shot a .25 to be honest. Last time I went seriously ratting was on a mates farm back in the '70's, think a Diana 27 .22 c. early '50's was the tool then.
    Forgive my ignorance - at 7 yards wouldn't open sights be just as easy, rather than a scope? Not being funny, just curious.
    My only recent experience of rats is finishing off damaged ones my feral ex farm cat used to bring back, when I lived in Malvern. Saw more rats there than I ever do out in the village.

ATB

Bru

Plinking

Quote Originally Posted by sniperphil View Post
    Nice one,
    I've been shooting,
    With open sights today.
    Hi Phil, hw30, Williams sight, bout 16 yards for me, great fun, will,our club ever be open again?
    J.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Never shot a .25 to be honest. Last time I went seriously ratting was on a mates farm back in the '70's, think a Diana 27 .22 c. early '50's was the tool then.
    Forgive my ignorance - at 7 yards wouldn't open sights be just as easy, rather than a scope? Not being funny, just curious.
    My only recent experience of rats is finishing off damaged ones my feral ex farm cat used to bring back, when I lived in Malvern. Saw more rats there than I ever do out in the village.

ATB

Bru
    Hiya Bru,

It's an unusual application as follows;

The rats come from next door's where they have chickens and are very twitchy, I have to shoot from inside the front room through blinds, as if the blinds open they wont show,and 7 yards is the distance to the boundry hedge. We have an old stone sink so I bait in front of this to use it as a solid safe backstop, and next to it there is an old tree stump I put there to form a tunnel so they feel safe as they venture out onto the patio from the hedge.

They do the normal thing of lurk in the tunnel, then out quicky to grab a bit of food and then back, so I maybe have a max of 3 seconds to take the shot even if using Peanut butter. I get some warning of activity from the kitchen where I can see down the tunnel if sat using the laptop, so then go into the front room, load and wait and let them have a couple of nibbles before they get the bad news.

It's just easier on my eyes and a clearer shot to have the crosshairs poised then using open sights as the target area and background are very dark contrast wise, I often use low green light on the crosshairs because of this.

I used a bit of twine taut from muzzle to bait to get the range, then replicated this to set zero, so the gun is pellet on pellet and I am 100% happy to do headshots. I have used .22 before and had the odd runner, (which never makes it back far), or the odd nerve shot where they jump, which the missus does not like.

The .25 using Bisley Pest Controls (like Crow Magnum Hollowpoints) just hits them with a thud and it's game over, never had one move more than a couple of inches since I swapped calibres.

Normally get just one or two adults before they spook, but have got 5 greys on one occasion (must have been a stupid litter).

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 21-01-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hiya Bru,

They do the normal thing of lurk in the tunnel, then out quicky to grab a bit of food and then back, so I maybe have a max of 3 seconds to take the shot even if using Peanut nutter. I get some warning of activity from the kitchen where I can see down the tunnel if sat using the laptop, so then go into the front room, load and wait and let them have a couple of nibbles before they get the bad news.

It's just easier on my eyes and a clearer shot to have the crosshairs poised then using open sights as the target area and background are very dark contrast wise, I often use low green light on the crosshairs because of this.

I used a bit of twine taut from muzzle to bait to get the range, then replicated this to set zero, so the gun is pellet on pellet and I am 100% happy to do headshots. I have used .22 before and had the odd runner, (which never makes it back far), or the odd nerve shot where they jump, which the missus does not like

Normally get just one or two adults before they spook, but have got 5 greys on one occasion (must have been a stupid litter).

ATB, Ed
    Hi, Ed

Ta for that. 'Every days a school-day', as they say. Our next door neighbour but one has just started keeping chickens - haven't seen any rats yet, but they'll probably be about soon...Wonder if I can use it as an excuse to buy a .25? (Wife hates rats so much it's a phobia, can't even see them on TV without feeling sick).

ATB

Bru